• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just can't buy a Glock.

I agree on the P series, but the SR and American I can't see why Ruger couldn't have made the SR mags work in it and you know if they had done that, SR owners might have gone and bought the American.
That is what I was essentially getting at. Now, if you carry it through chronologically, there really isn't a good reason to change for the SR either. It is a box that holds things, with a spring to push the things up when one is taken out. It is not rocket surgery.

Went shooting today with a friend and some of his friends.

He said he was looking for a woods bear gun and can I bring some revolvers. Told him I have a 3” .44 mag and a Gen 5 G20 MOS that I prefer over the .44.

Asked me to bring both. After some shooting of both, he and 2-3 of his friends are going to get G20’s.

Wish I got a sales commission.

And all of them are not new and experienced shooters, plus they are all NH guys, so this is not a forbidden fruit thing.

The Glock 20 weighs less and holds 3x the ammo a .44 does, oh and the gun and ammo cost less too.

Pretty obvious choice most are going to make. I know there are "experts" with decades of experience who know the .44 is better, I'm sure it penetrates deeper on bears and does more damage, but I don't know anyone who considers a 10mm to be useless against bears. It may not be the best, but it isn't the worst either.

The Glock 20 weighs less and holds 3x the ammo a .44 does, oh and the gun and ammo cost less too.

Pretty obvious choice most are going to make. I know there are "experts" with decades of experience who know the .44 is better, I'm sure it penetrates deeper on bears and does more damage, but I don't know anyone who considers a 10mm to be useless against bears. It may not be the best, but it isn't the worst either.
This was not a hard choice above. It was just getting hands on. That’s the fun of shooting all the different guns

Now I know what caliber a G20 is 😂

I admit it.

Glocks are great guns. They're reliable. They shoot any sort of ammunition without the need for throating or modification. They are easy to work on. They shoot really nicely. They stand up to dirt, mud, wet, and corrosion. They are close to perfect weapons for the modern age.

I just can't bring myself to buy one.

They are.......butt ugly.

They have no aesthetically pleasing attributes. Gaston designed them solely for function.

I get that guns need to be designed for practical, functional purposes. They need to go "bang" when you pull the trigger, and they need to place bullets where they are aimed.
But to me, guns are also pieces of art. I get seriously aroused when I see a gorgeous Weatherby Athena shotgun with amazing wood, and tastefully engraved receiver. I love Remington's artistically designed front sights. Colt's decision to replace that biscuit sight on the Detective special with a ramped front replacement was genius.

That's why I will never own a Glock pistol. Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.
Do you want a gun because it is good and reliable or because it looks good?

What is your intended purpose?
Is it jewelry?

There are beautiful guns that shoot great, and are a lot more expensive. But what do you want out of it?

A Ruger Usper GP100 is ugly AF, but if I was in the market for a USPSA revolver and Ruger didn't have the most horrible trigger in the universe, I would buy one. Don't care about looks as long as it shoots great. It is a beater gun.

What is your intended purpose?
Is it jewelry?

There sre beautiful guns that shoot great, and are a lot more expensive. But what do you want out of it?
All guns deserve love (except for a flobert parlor rifle). Even high points need love.

All guns deserve love (except for a flobert parlor rifle). Even high points need love.
I hate saying this, but Hi-point keeps impressing me.

I took a dremmel to one with a 120 grit, the finish on that ugly AF slide was tougher than some expensive guns I have.

I hate saying this, but Hi-point keeps impressing me.

I took a dremmel to one with a 120 grit, the finish on that ugly AF slide was tougher than some expensive guns I have.
I was going to suggest using easy off oven cleaner in the other post to strip the finish.

I’m not judging Mr. 6.5

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I obviously value guns that go bang. But I do want to be able to appreciate their aesthetics too. Fortunately, there are plenty of good choices out there.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I obviously value guns that go bang. But I do want to be able to appreciate their aesthetics too. Fortunately, there are plenty of good choices out there.
Yes, there are. But if the OP is looking at Glocks, he is probably looking in the $500 range for a semi auto.

The only semi autos I can think of that look good in that price range would be some cheaper 1911s. I can't think of a polymer gun that looks good in that price range.

The chemical question was after trying the dremel and realizing it was a PITA.
My understanding is that easy off is lye based (sodium hydroxide) and is used to strip anodizing. Not sure the finish on a high point. Seems like a powder coat. If so MEK would strip the finish pretty easily.

Yes, there are. But if the OP is looking at Glocks, he is probably looking in the $500 range for a semi auto.

The only semi autos I can think of that look good in that price range would be some cheaper 1911s. I can't think of a polymer gun that looks good in that price range.
I have no idea if this is in that price range, but these aren't bad looking:
1685064826478.png

That and Canik.

Or maybe this if your into Night StalkingView attachment 756464 I think this is my next gun.
if you'll buy that 10mm D10 one - pls make sure to report back, i was curious about that one as well, mostly due to its price.
only part that annoys me a bit - that night stalking for reasons difficult to understand has only a fixed rear sight, while d10 has an adjustable one. really, wtf?

Last edited:
I admit it.

Glocks are great guns. They're reliable. They shoot any sort of ammunition without the need for throating or modification. They are easy to work on. They shoot really nicely. They stand up to dirt, mud, wet, and corrosion. They are close to perfect weapons for the modern age.

They have no aesthetically pleasing attributes. Gaston designed them solely for function.

I get that guns need to be designed for practical, functional purposes. They need to go "bang" when you pull the trigger, and they need to place bullets where they are aimed.
But to me, guns are also pieces of art. I get seriously aroused when I see a gorgeous Weatherby Athena shotgun with amazing wood, and tastefully engraved receiver. I love Remington's artistically designed front sights. Colt's decision to replace that biscuit sight on the Detective special with a ramped front replacement was genius.

That's why I will never own a Glock pistol. Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.
i have 4 : 23, 30,20 ported and a 26; strictly for rough outdoor or ocean carry [ i like the 20 ported 10mm with hi cap mags the best, a go time gun]. strictly wood, leather and steel. single actions are my favorite

Lol there are no polymer guns that "look good".

HKs school buses look "the least shitty" but polymer handguns are about function not appearance.

I have no idea if this is in that price range, but these aren't bad looking:
View attachment 756308

That and Canik.
Looks just as shitty as every other plastic gun does. 🤣

ETA: it's not even that most are that shitty, i just don't see anything standout about them. Raving about a PPSM2 would be like if i kept raving about how great my 2010 camry looked. Nobody cares. It's still just "meh".

It's not like these guns are old blued colt pythons or a nicer blued BHP or something, or a korth, an SVI, a DW or some other gun, that if they were women would qualify as "sexpots" 🤣

Last edited:
I admit it.

I don't give a shit how ugly they are. My G21 isn't a Rolex, it's a Timex.
At 75', I'm much more accurate with a myriad of my beautiful revolvers.
Self Defense isn't a marksmanship contest, it would probably be at close range.
I can draw, fire and reload so much faster with my G21 than anything else I own.

Looks just as shitty as every other plastic gun does. 🤣

ETA: it's not even that most are that shitty, i just don't see anything standout about them. Raving about a PPSM2 would be like if i kept raving about how great my 2010 camry looked. Nobody cares. It's still just "meh".

It's not like these guns are old blued colt pythons or a nicer blued BHP or something, or a korth, an SVI, a DW or some other gun, that if they were women would qualify as "sexpots" 🤣
Sometimes there is beauty in being simple (not hipoint)

Back
Top Bottom