• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just can't buy a Glock.

... But to me, guns are also pieces of art. I get seriously aroused when I see a gorgeous Weatherby Athena shotgun with amazing wood, and tastefully engraved receiver. ...
I have an awesomely alluring Flobert Parlor Rifle.

It's double barreled in two different calibers. One barrel is 6mm and the other is 9mm.

Almost any modern striker fired pistol can be compared to a Glock, many favorably. S&W's XDM is a decent example of a comparitive product. A buddy of mine has one, I shot it and promptly handed it back. Gun's nice, but with gear and mags for a dozen or so Glocks, I wasn't about to start swapping over...
Roger that, I’m way too heavily invested in the glock platform to switch now.

I have owned many Glock's over the years, I shoot them extremely well, however I get bored with them, and the fact they are ugly i end up selling them. But the G45 has my interest . I think I may need counseling.

I think everyone understands how Glock became successful: Dirt cheap to make, many more rounds vs. revolver, lighter than metal to carry around and giveaway deals to police departments. Gaston found the secret formula for success! Suddenly, it was the American "cop gun" so every non-cop hot shot in America wanted one too. It also helped that Smith & Wesson stumbled very badly with the Sigma series and could not compete price-wise with real metal vs. Glock's injection molded plastic and stamped tin.

You forget the most important thing, which is the "Glock ecosystem of stuff" aka "but how do I keep the guns running long term".

-Anyone can become a glock armorer. Meaning some guy in a gun shop can go take a course and learn how to work on the guns. Not just someone with a badge.

-Anyone can usually obtain glock parts. Not like these other $%$%$#%$%# shitf***er companies that will refuse to send you parts in the mail "cuz liability" or some stupid shit like that*** (see note on bottom) It's easy to get glock parts. Significantly less easy for nearly everything else, the only REAL peers to a Glock WRT parts availability to the general public are 1911 parts and AR-15 parts. Period end, full stop. This is incontrovertible, and inescapable.

-The magazines were always reasonably priced. I'm not talking MA pant shitter/pr3Ban bullshit, I'm talking real world. At retail the only glock mag that is remotely pricey are the 33rd happy sticks. Everything else retails for like $35 or less, and its trivially easy to be buying OEM down into the 20s. You can accumulate barrels and barrels of glock mags. its more difficult to do this with any other handgun, save for maybe the Beretta 92.

-WRT above and the ecosystem; when you get that big OTHER PEOPLE WANT TO MAKE SHIT FOR YOUR GUNS. So you have companies like Magpul, ETS, and others making
magazines for your guns.

-Customer service - 99 out of 100 times you send a gun to Glock it will get fixed and it will get fixed right, and theres not usually drama, guns sitting in places for months, etc. I had to have sent a half dozen guns to them (mostly used ones I bought) either for refurbishment or otherwise, in every case I got them back in two weeks or less with the issue
resolved. In one case I had a gun that BTFed so bad they literally just sent the dealer an entirely brand new gun.

WRT the above: not sure if it changed recently but..... When you call Glock up on the phone. A HUMAN BEING ANSWERS THE PHONE. A few years ago when I called to get a gen4 RSA upgrade, I couldn't believe it, I was sitting in my car and I was just dumbfounded after the phone call. It was the first time I called up a large company in many, many years where there wasnt some stupid auto attendant.

WRT Parts-withholding stupidity:

f*** you S&W, just go f*** yourselves. won't even send someone a spring or a mag catch so they can just fix thier shit and
move on with their life.

there are other companies that are complete dog shit like this too

"You wont sell me parts? what does that mean? THERES NO WORDS THERE! Warranty service the entire gun? TO PLAY US OUT?"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeOat73YzX4

Almost any modern striker fired pistol can be compared to a Glock, many favorably. S&W's XDM is a decent example of a comparitive product. A buddy of mine has one, I shot it and promptly handed it back. Gun's nice, but with gear and mags for a dozen or so Glocks, I wasn't about to start swapping over...
Isn't the XDM a Springfield? I shot one recently and was not crazy about it. Accuracy was decent but I hated the way it felt in my hand. Not exactly easy to shoot. Really had to concentrate on shooting it.

Isn't the XDM a Springfield? I shot one recently and was not crazy about it. Accuracy was decent but I hated the way it felt in my hand. Not exactly easy to shoot. Really had to concentrate on shooting it.

I believe you're correct, Springfield, not S&W. 9mm striker fired pistol, definitely "XDM". I liked it - but that's why there are so many choices - different people like different guns.

You forget the most important thing, which is the "Glock ecosystem of stuff" aka "but how do I keep the guns running long term".
Which goes right back to my assertion that Glock is not just a gun or gun company, but a sort of culture onto itself. If you want to call that an ecosystem instead of a cult or culture or simply a wildly enthusiastic group of admirers and supporters worldwide... be my guest. [cheers]

Yes, Glock has become the AR-15 of handguns. No question about it. I believe you can build one today never once using an actual Glock-made part. That speaks to the wide acceptance and universality of the basic design. Gaston done good for himself. Pistol means Glock (and vice versa) interchangeably all over the world. 🤔

So if we are debating success and popularity, there is no question about it: Glock wins! Does that make it the ultimate & preferred handgun for everyone? No, not quite. There are still a whole bunch of us out here that prefer metal and... {gasp}... sometimes even wood! [thumbsup]

Which goes right back to my assertion that Glock is not just a gun or gun company, but a sort of culture onto itself. If you want to call that an ecosystem instead of a cult or culture or simply a wildly enthusiastic group of admirers and supporters worldwide... be my guest. [cheers]

Having a system is not a culture, lol. Cult/culture implies some kind of slavish following though. And those do exist for nearly every brand, but owning a glock (or a dozen or two) doesn't make one a cult member. Just like someone owning a smith doesnt make them a smith acolyte. Although "smith people / smith acolytes" is actually a thing and its scary, lol. The number "smith people" as a % of smith buyers is much higher than what you would call "glock cultists". Like as an example I have a bunch of glocks. And I owned a few P320s at one time, and I still have my CZ P10 series striker guns. Most people I know that have glocks have messed around with the other brands some retain some dont.

Yes, Glock has become the AR-15 of handguns. No question about it. I believe you can build one today never once using an actual Glock-made part. That speaks to the wide acceptance and universality of the basic design. Gaston done good for himself. Pistol means Glock (and vice versa) interchangeably all over the world. 🤔

So if we are debating success and popularity, there is no question about it: Glock wins! Does that make it the ultimate & preferred handgun for everyone? No, not quite. There are still a whole bunch of us out here that prefer metal and... {gasp}... sometimes even wood! [thumbsup]

Of course it isn't, I routinely tell people to buy whatever fits their hands the best. Fighting bad ergonomics is stupid, and in my case I did it for a long ass time with a lot of HK products, lol.. (although old USPs seem to be OK, but the newer ones, christ, lol) And for a lot of people thats not a glock, regardless of generation. I

As far as wood and metal goes, that stuff is great to look at but sucks to carry it. And I still have a bunch of those guns too. At one point I even had the blasphemer gun, the Hudson H9.... I kinda wish I had kept it, it probably had the lowest recoil off pretty much anything....

f*** you S&W, just go f*** yourselves. won't even send someone a spring or a mag catch so they can just fix thier shit and
move on with their life.
When I bought my Shield (used, here) the RSA broke after my first trip. I emailed CS about it and their answer was basically "what's your address; it'll be in the mail in the morning." I know that at that time that was a problem they were actively managing, but it seems like they're inconsistent at best.

What gets me is when I want to buy parts. Hey Ruger, I think I've put 5k through my SR22, where do I get a recoil spring? Turns out the answer is to email CS and it'll be in the mail. Which is great, but how hard is it to put that on the company webstore? I'll pay for it. I wore it out.

Having a system is not a culture, lol. Cult/culture implies some kind of slavish following though. And those do exist for nearly every brand, but owning a glock (or a dozen or two) doesn't make one a cult member. Just like someone owning a smith doesnt make them a smith acolyte. Although "smith people / smith acolytes" is actually a thing and its scary, lol. The number "smith people" as a % of smith buyers is much higher than what you would call "glock cultists". Like as an example I have a bunch of glocks. And I owned a few P320s at one time, and I still have my CZ P10 series striker guns. Most people I know that have glocks have messed around with the other brands some retain some dont.

Of course it isn't, I routinely tell people to buy whatever fits their hands the best. Fighting bad ergonomics is stupid, and in my case I did it for a long ass time with a lot of HK products, lol.. (although old USPs seem to be OK, but the newer ones, christ, lol) And for a lot of people thats not a glock, regardless of generation. I

As far as wood and metal goes, that stuff is great to look at but sucks to carry it. And I still have a bunch of those guns too. At one point I even had the blasphemer gun, the Hudson H9.... I kinda wish I had kept it, it probably had the lowest recoil off pretty much anything....
I'm surprised that you won't agree that Glock is the AR-15 of handguns. I view that as a plus for the brand. 🤔

BTW, I see online that there is a Glock Collectors Association. It describes Glock owners as members of The Glock Tribe. That may not be a cult name, but it sure sounds pretty darn close. [laugh]

I'm also confused about what a Glock Collector does with his Glock collection? That doesn't compute in my brain. If Glocks are supposed to be the ultimate bland-but-reliable utility brand (kinda like a Estwing hammer, etc.), what possible collector interest do they hold? Collect injection molded plastic? :oops: Why??? ;)

The Glock Tribe.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what it will cost in Massachusetts.
For MA people who aren't overly dumb in the laws, and buy the 10 rd version....it'll cost 619.99 plus transfer fee. Same as any Glock. Pay the price its listed for online plus transfer fee.

Personally very hard pass for me.......buying it for 619.99 I question that if your silly.....but I know there are some real Glock rumpswabs in the "Glock Tribe" that would buy it i'm sure.

Last edited:
For MA people who aren't overly dumb in the laws, and buy the 10 rd version....it'll cost 619.99 plus transfer fee. Same as any Glock.

Personally very hard pass for me.......buying it for 619.99 I question that if your silly.....but I know there are some real Glock rumpswabs in the "Glock Tribe" that would buy it i'm sure.
You’d “hard pass” on a ~$650 new Glock you wanted because it’s cheaper in free states??

For MA people who aren't overly dumb in the laws, and buy the 10 rd version....it'll cost 619.99 plus transfer fee. Same as any Glock. Pay the price its listed for online plus transfer fee.

Well, if you don’t want the re-made “gen1”, <snicker>, I’ve got a Gen 2 g34 I’d be willing t sell you. Since you’re a glock fanboi.
[rockon]

You’d “hard pass” on a ~$650 new Glock you wanted because it’s cheaper in free states??
Who said I wanted it???

Yes...because new glocks here cost 500-600 depending on model. Even less for the small ones.

Besides, Its not cheaper in free states? Its 620 dollars from this place no matter where you live? Its extra I guess because of the
"collector" version.

Yes, some dope may buy this and try to sell it to MA plebs for 1K....no doubt...but still.

Hard pass because its an overpriced gen 1 for 620 dollars............ why would I buy that, when I can buy a Gen 5 for 500ish?

Here ya go.

d1b6f95f7b676c05347d49123f6c4ad7.jpg

...got the wood covered, anyway.
Ewwww! A Gen 4 G17? Who the hell owns one of those? It’s a woody now? Flaccid inducing.

Weighs too much / makes even a p95 and sig p series school buses look slim by comparison
Direct blowback
Slide made out of pot metal
Single stack magazines in a gun that size = aids
Taurus G3 absolutely destroys it for the price of a couple of boxes of ammo more....

I don't think I need to continue LOL
If I could encapsulate in one picture what the slide on a High Point looks like despite it being a frame in feces…..

318D633E-9611-4A5F-A9A8-4005DA7FC7E3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom