Where do bad guys get their guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive seen $200 worth of crack cocaine and a fully loaded marlin model 60 sold for $400 the rifle had been stolen during a house break. About 10 seconds after that transaction took place, the sellers got to see the pretty blue lights and find out that the "buyer" had a badge [smile]

Was 'price gouging' one of the charges?

Theft and straw purchases. As much as we like the states without restrictions--- that's where the straw purchases come from.

I am interested in links to studies or research which studies where or how bad guys their guys. I guess there is a small set of answers: they steal them, a straw buyer gets them, or a firearms dealer gets them.

I am interested in knowing if there is any real data out there. (Not interested in what people think the answer is, I would like links to real data.)

(If there is another thread already going for this question, I will join that one. Please just give me the link.)

Thanks.

Here ya go...

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 40 percent of criminals obtain their firearms from friends or family and another 40 percent obtain their firearms from illegal sources on the street. Less than 8.5 percent of criminals obtain their firearms from straw purchases.

http://www.dontlie.org/FAQ.cfm

Why is this important to you? No matter what criminals will be able to get firearms...even if they have to make them.

Criminals can be very creative.

I can think of many more ways than listed in the OP and I don't even have a criminal mind.

Why is this important to you? No matter what criminals will be able to get firearms...even if they have to make them.

It is well documented that in the UK (where guns are completely outlawed) that criminals purchase starter pistols and then convert them to working guns.

I don't believe that the current methods of procurement matter at all. Once one method is no longer available, another rears its head...

The straw buyers are really really planning long term. Average time to the street for a firarm in MA is 13 years................ Yeah, straw purchasers are a HUGE issue. There ought to be a law against that.......

Stupidest statistic I have seen:

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 40 percent of criminals obtain their firearms from friends or family and another 40 percent obtain their firearms from illegal sources on the street. Less than 8.5 percent of criminals obtain their firearms from straw purchases.

So when a felon buys a stolen gun from his "brother" that is included in the 40% of guns obtained from "family"?. If some libtard reads that stat, it looks like people are legally buying guns and giving them to their scumbag family.

Last edited:
funny you ask...

loophole.jpg

[rofl] That is great, he must get a lot of laughs from that. [rofl]

It is well documented that in the UK (where guns are completely outlawed) that criminals purchase starter pistols and then convert them to working guns.

I saw this (and heard) it on one of Ted Nuggents shows today, he was showing a Ruger 10/22 that had a full supressed barrel on it and said that you have to have papers on it, I think he said something like class 3 but I can't remember.

What he was saying was he couldn't believe that in the US you had to have papers on a supressed rifle but in the UK you could just own one with no problems.

Now how screwed up is that ???

Stupidest statistic I have seen:
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 40 percent of criminals obtain their firearms from friends or family and another 40 percent obtain their firearms from illegal sources on the street.

Ya that's true, scumbag 1 buys a gun from scumbag 2. They just forget to tell us that scumbag 2 is scumbag 1's brother and that all there guns were already bought illegally.

There were some really good links in this thread. Thanks, I will have to take some time to review them.

Guns used to kill police officers: Where they come from

Guns used to kill police officers: Where they come from and how they get in the hands of criminals

Hattie Louise James was sitting on her front porch in Charlotte when two police detectives emerged from their car. There had been a shooting, they said. Two officers were dead. The gun had been traced back to her.
This Story

"I liked to had another heart attack," said the 72-year-old James, a retired hospital worker.

The .32-caliber revolver used to kill Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers Sean Clark and Jeff Shelton in April 2007 started out as a legally owned weapon. James bought it in 1991 at Hyatt Coin and Gun Shop in Charlotte, but it was stolen a year later from her husband's car. Fifteen years after that, it passed into the hands of 25-year-old Demeatrius Montgomery. This September, Montgomery was convicted of gunning down the officers outside a low-income housing complex in northeast Charlotte.

Clark and Shelton are two of 511 police officers killed by firearms in the United States from the beginning of 2000 through this past Sept. 30. The most recent local death occurred in June, when Maryland State Trooper Wesley Brown was slain while working off-duty at a restaurant in Prince George's County.

Until now, no one has conducted a comprehensive study of how the killers got their guns.

To trace these guns, The Washington Post did a year-long investigation, including building a database of every police officer shot to death in the past decade. (More than 1,900 officers were wounded by firearms during the same period.) Through documents and interviews, The Post was able to track how the suspects obtained their weapons in 341 of the deaths.

This kind of analysis is made more difficult by a law passed by Congress in 2003 that bars federal law enforcement from releasing information that links guns used in crimes back to the original purchasers.

READ MORE

Doesn't every gun start out as a legally owned weapon? I wasn't aware of a company that makes guns just for criminals. What's the point in tracking it back, they have the killer. Also, I thought a .32 was no better than a rock in your pocket ( according to some). How could that small round kill 2 officers?

Also, I thought a .32 was no better than a rock in your pocket ( according to some). How could that small round kill 2 officers?

A .32 can be quite devastating at close range. It might not be the ideal self defense cartridge, but it wouldn't sell if it didn't get the job done.

How about a comprehensive study to determine where persons involved in fatal DUI crashes get their cars? Something has to be done.

A criminal used a gun that was stolen in the commission of a crime? Your telling me he bypassed the legal paperwork to obtain a firearm? Is he crazy? No way you pulling my leg!!!

I for one think such a study isn't bad if it can get the media to stop saying illegal gun. Call it for what it is, stolen. If someone seems to display a pattern of losing things, well it wouldn't hurt to have that looked at either.

I liken it to dui, the car or the alcohol/substance of choice is not under trial. The person is and if there is one large source of cars or substance than that source is of interest as well.

I for one think that it would be nice to read a report along the lines of, "the accused used a gun that was reported stolen a year ago in a robbery and is looking at a charge with a possible N additional years for that crime".

It is not the gun or the legal sale which is a problem... maybe expecting too much...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I for one think such a study isn't bad if it can get the media to stop saying illegal gun. Call it for what it is, stolen. If someone seems to display a pattern of losing things, well it wouldn't hurt to have that looked at either.

I liken it to dui, the car or the alcohol/substance of choice is not under trial. The person is and if there is one large source of cars or substance than that source is of interest as well.

I for one think that it would be nice to read a report along the lines of, "the accused used a gun that was reported stolen a year ago in a robbery and is looking at a charge with a possible N additional years for that crime".

It is not the gun or the legal sale which is a problem... maybe expecting too much...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

An interesting concept...hold the person accountable for the infraction rather than blaming the tool used to effect the crime. [/sarcasm off]

I read through the case studies and it seems that in most instances a prohibited person obtained a gun illegally. Another chronicled a straw purchase and noted the person who bought the gun was not charged. Seems like old news.

Doesn't every gun start out as a legally owned weapon? I wasn't aware of a company that makes guns just for criminals. What's the point in tracking it back, they have the killer. Also, I thought a .32 was no better than a rock in your pocket ( according to some). How could that small round kill 2 officers?

A .25 ACP is the most anemic, most garbage handgun round in existence, but it still can kill people.

-Mike

IMO some of these guns are smuggled into the country, the same way they do with the drugs.

I would say that's a very tiny percentage. The problem with that idea is that it doesn't make logistical sense for criminals to smuggle guns into the US when stealing or strawing them domestically is " cheaper. " Quite literally, compared to drugs, "it's a waste of smuggling capacity". Look at it from the POV of the criminals- If they get caught smuggling (anything) they're going to jail for a long time, so why not just smuggle drugs instead? (which are far more profitable, in relative terms.) Lots of people in the US want illegal drugs. The market for illegal firearms in the US on the other hand, is limited in comparison.

-Mike

Before the article degenerated into the usual anti gun BS it mentioned that the largest officer involved shooting came from Domestic Dispute calls and involved legal guns. Not surprising - ask any cop and the call they like responding to least is a domestic.

all this anti gun people are full of s**t. Look at Mexico, guns are impossible for someone to legally own unless you are in the armed forces, and yet more people die in their cities every year than died in Afghanistan and Iraq in the past 8 years. (oh crap i forgot, all those guns come from the U.S (sarcastic)) stupid a**holes

What's the point in tracking it back

Just to report it in the news. Because thats all they care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom