Where do bad guys get their guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in links to studies or research which studies where or how bad guys their guys. I guess there is a small set of answers: they steal them, a straw buyer gets them, or a firearms dealer gets them.

I am interested in knowing if there is any real data out there. (Not interested in what people think the answer is, I would like links to real data.)

(If there is another thread already going for this question, I will join that one. Please just give me the link.)

Thanks.

They are being shipped in from Mexico in exchange for money!
Seriously though, You're in Roxbury ask the sources!

The one piece of advice I can give you that you can take to the bank is that the bad guys never have had and never will have a problem getting what are outlawed to normal citizens whether it's in the US or any other country. It's been that way for 50 years that I know of and it doesn't matter what you do to people that follow laws because:

When we had prohibition, criminals had alcohol
When we prohibit prostitution, criminals make money off of it
When we prohibit drugs, the drugs, make criminals rich and the gangs more brazen

There is nothing in this country or any other that can prevent criminals from getting whatever they want and the only thing that keeps them in check is swift justice and the fear that they may be evenly matched.

Not much fun being a burgular when you know you might get your freeking head blown off verses an endless routine of continued court cases and reduced sentences.

Last edited:
There are no real facts as to where each illegally obtained gun came from. The BATFE keeps tabs on the state of origin of each illegal gun, but not the specific store or person who gave it to the criminal or the house the criminal stole it from. If you want real facts I suggest you set up a field trip to MCI Walpole and ask the residents [rofl]

I've often wondered about this too. What percentage of guns used in Mass gun crime are a result of a straw purchase? How stupid do you have to be to buy a gun on your license and give it to a criminal. As soon as the criminal gets caught you're totally screwed.

My guess is that any guns used in gun crimes that were last registered or purchased in Mass were probably stolen. The reason we never see any factual data on this is because it's probably less than 1% if even any at all.

Fotay's and Nine's, now dat's my favrite sto'.

untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:
I am interested in links to studies or research which studies where or how bad guys their guys. I guess there is a small set of answers: they steal them, a straw buyer gets them, or a firearms dealer gets them.

I am interested in knowing if there is any real data out there. (Not interested in what people think the answer is, I would like links to real data.)

(If there is another thread already going for this question, I will join that one. Please just give me the link.)

Thanks.

Wow really?

You're in the 'bury, go take one off the next body.

This.

There aren't ANY legitimate studies about how criminals get firearms in this state. See above. [rolleyes]

Last edited:

Thanks.

Gunfacts.info is a great resource but I don't think anyone keeps any kind of record of where "illegal" guns are coming from. We know the methods criminals use to acquire them but I don't think anyone can say with any level of certainty which method is the most prolific.

The best source for that kind of data would be ATF keeping a database of gun traces with the reason behind the trace. If it's a gun found on a prohibited person or at a crime scene than trace it and log the trail. If a pattern starts to emerge of particular individuals showing up frequently in these traces than s/he might need to be investigated. Could be a trafficker, could be s/he had a big collection that was stolen and they are turning up here and there. From what I understand right now all they log is that it was traced. It could have traced for a number of reasons and they don't record that reason.

Now many gun owners are very leary of the government keeping a database like a registry. But if it only contained trace data on guns that were recovered in criminal situations than I might be okay with that. Others may want to offer their opinions on this.

I would guess that theft, straw purchases, and smuggling are the most effective methods, not necessarily in that order.

I doubt that any dealers do it for very long. They are so closely scrutinized by the ATF they wouldn't get away with it for long. The paper trail they have to keep would catch up with them fast.

Last edited:
Well...Most of the "higher up" drug connections have affiliates who have access to firearms (stolen or smuggled). When there is a nice score, they try to move as much as possible as quickly as possible. So then side deals are cut for guns in bulk, and then they trickle down the ranks of the "organization". Once in their hands, they hit the streets. Once they hit the streets, some idiot who was buying an ounce of cocaine to cut up and sell, now also bought 5 fo fifs from his connection...Now word in the PJ's is "RayRay got dem Glokz!"...etc. etc. Then one of the "idiots" customers buys one so he can maybe rob some people to make more money for his habit. Then he goes into the local Bodega to stick up "Papi" for what's in the register....little does he know Papi has an illegal sawed off under the counter that HE bought on the street, from somone trying to get money for his heroin habit. Papi blasts cokehead..... I love happy endings...

I should write children's books...

Last edited:
Buying a gun in Massachusetts legally and then selling it to a criminal would be as smart as buying a car and registering it and then renting it out for drive by shootings.It just doesen't happen.Will the Governor please cite some cases.Just one.

Buying a gun in Massachusetts legally and then selling it to a criminal would be as smart as buying a car and registering it and then renting it out for drive by shootings.It just doesen't happen.Will the Governor please cite some cases.Just one.

I'd love to see him come up with any examples of straw purchases (which, by the way, are already against the law) in Mass to justify his expensive and nearly impossible to enforce one-gun-a-month law.

I'm sure straw purchases happen, but not in a state that requires lawful purchasers to jump through hoops like we have to do in Mass.

ETA: To the OP, according to the ATF Publication Protecting America (1992) 70% of criminals' guns come from other criminals or from burglaries.

Last edited:
follow the drugs if you can import one legal thing in massive ammounts then you can get other things also those type of pepole tend to be armed and not opposed to makeing a little cash by selling something off.

i think a lot of the time too they get traded between diffrent criminals inbetween crimes like hey i dont need this anymore 200 bucks and its yours

OP... Your intentions may be good... But establish yourself on NES before asking a question that establishes the headline: "MA Assault Weapons Forum Trains Criminals on How to Secure Unregistered 223 Rifles."

They prob. get their guns at gun shows at one of the loop hole booths.Anyone ever see one of those loop holes the media talks about?

Ive seen $200 worth of crack cocaine and a fully loaded marlin model 60 sold for $400 the rifle had been stolen during a house break. About 10 seconds after that transaction took place, the sellers got to see the pretty blue lights and find out that the "buyer" had a badge [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom