• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can't I concealed carry in MA?

I'd rather be alive to defend myself in a court of law on why i had to shoot that crazy gun weilding college student who failed a midterm. Than to be dead because i didn't have my pistol on me because i can't conceal carry on school grounds. But thats just me.

I'd rather be alive to defend myself in a court of law on why i had to shoot that crazy gun weilding college student who failed a midterm. Than to be dead because i didn't have my pistol on me because i can't conceal carry on school grounds. But thats just me.

The thing is, if you are found to be carrying on school grounds without permission, the prosecution is a slam dunk. Furthermore, it is a felony and therefore a lifetime disqualifier. So, what are the chances of being in a mass shooting versus the chances of a being discovered?

What about gun shows? Some I have been to require you to check your weapon upon entry and you get it back when you leave, other shows I have been to, mostly in NH, it doesn't matter and everyone walks around with something on their hip... At these shows do we really need to even let them know we are carrying? Most people who work them are carrying them too. I never got an answer about this, then again never asked.

Last edited:
What about fun shows? Some I have been to require you to check your weapon upon entry and you get it back when you leave, other shows I have been to, mostly in NH, it doesn't matter and everyone walks around with something on their hip... At these shows do we really need to even let them know we are carrying? Most people who work them are carrying them too. I never got an answer about this, then again never asked.

If they find out you are carrying, ask you to leave, and you don't, then you could be arrested for trespassing. Of course, there is the whole suitability issue...

But don't you know that the school ban will keep you safe as a student who would throw his future away for the privilege of shooting you will disarm before coming onto campus out of fear his LTC could be revoked after the murder?

CODE OF MASSACHUSETTS REGULATIONS
TITLE 740: MASSACHUSETTS PORT AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 30.00: AIRPORT SECURITY
Current through September 4, 2009, Register #1138

30.04: Firearms, Ammunition and Dangerous Weapons

(1) No person except federal or state law enforcement officers, United States Postal Service, United States Customs and Border Patrol, Air Carrier employees approved by the TSA, members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty and licensed armored truck service guards with the prior approval of the Authority, who are authorized and validly licensed to carry Firearms, ammunition and explosives in Massachusetts, shall carry loaded or otherwise operational Firearms or explosives on the Airport. All persons shall, promptly upon entering the passenger terminal or General Aviation Terminal, as the case may be, deliver any unloaded Firearms and ammunition, as they are carrying and licensed to carry under Massachusetts law to the appropriate Air Carrier agent for transport in the hold of the aircraft, in the case of commercial flights, or directly to the aircraft, in the case of general aviation aircraft. For transport on an Air Carrier aircraft, the Firearm shall be delivered to the agent of the Air Carrier and shall, at all times while on the Airport, be unloaded and contained in a locked gun case; ammunition shall be stored in a separate container, all in accordance with all applicable state and federal law. For transport on a general aviation aircraft, Firearms shall, in all instances be unloaded and either fitted with a trigger lock that disables the trigger or disassembled for shipment or shall be otherwise rendered unusable by removing the bolt or otherwise disassembling the firing mechanism, as applicable. All ammunition shall be stored in a separate box or bag.

(2) No person, except federal or state law enforcement officers, U.S. Postal Service, United States Customs and Border Patrol officers, members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty, or other Persons authorized by the Authority or TSA, shall possess either on the individual's person or in her accessible Property within a Sterile Area of an Airport, any item or material prohibited by federal transportation security regulations (including but not limited to 49 CFR Part 1540, 49 CFR Part 1542) or any TSA regulation, standard, order, directive or other published guidance from being carried onto an Aircraft in commercial service.

<General Materials (GM) - References, Annotations, or Tables>

Mass. Regs. Code tit. 740, § 30.04, 740 MA ADC 30.04

740 MA ADC 30.04
They regularly have road blocks entering the airport where vehicles are searched. It's not clear to me what the status of someone with a LCF entering the airport to pick someone up but not go in to the terminal has.

I've only flown with long guns and the ticket agents were not a problem.

Last edited:
As far as Mass State Parks, in general carry is okay, but different parks have different rules, but I do know "Target shooting" is NOT permitted in any state park.

Best bet is to keep it concealed and nobody will ever know unless you need to use it, even then if nobody is around then.......
Hehe I always carry in Myle Standish. Never know when you will be hiking around with the dog and some camper type might want to give you a bad day. Surprise!![grenade]

They regularly have road blocks entering the airport where vehicles are searched.

Huh?

I've never seen a road block entering Logan. Nor have I ever seen cars actually searched. I have seen Massport employees at the garage entrances tell you to open your trunk. They then take a quick glance at the trunk and send you on your way.

The thing is, if you are found to be carrying on school grounds without permission, the prosecution is a slam dunk. Furthermore, it is a felony and therefore a lifetime disqualifier. So, what are the chances of being in a mass shooting versus the chances of a being discovered?

It is not a felony if you have an LTC, and is not even arrestable - a criminal citation may be issued. The MA problem is that there is a possible term of one year therefore it is a MA (but not federal) disqualifier as it involves a firearm and has potential jail time. It is not a slam dunk unless the gun is "on your person". Though not illegal, the state will commonly attempt a prosecution for mere on campus possession not on one's person (mgl 269 10j),

I spoke to attorney Langer, and his opinion differs. Since he's the pro, it'w worth including here:

1. He believes 269-10j to be an arrestable offense. I got my information about "non arrestable" from the Ron Glidden MA gun law course. I have read of cases where someone in alleged violation was cited and not arrested but that may only prove that the officer was following the Glidden doctrine, not what the actual law was.

2. Keith's position is that a state level offense that DQ's someone at the state level, but not the federal level, triggers a federal PP under Caron. I had assumed that since 18 USC 922g required one to commit a felony (as defined by that statute), one could not be convicted if the offense did not meet that definition - and that the Caron issue was about the inability of states to partially restore rights. Keith was unable to know with certainty if someone with a 269-10j conviction would remain a federal PP if he moved out of state.

I spoke to attorney Langer, and his opinion differs. Since he's the pro, it'w worth including here:

1. He believes 269-10j to be an arrestable offense. I got my information about "non arrestable" from the Ron Glidden MA gun law course. I have read of cases where someone in alleged violation was cited and not arrested but that may only prove that the officer was following the Glidden doctrine, not what the actual law was.

2. Keith's position is that a state level offense that DQ's someone at the state level, but not the federal level, triggers a federal PP under Caron. I had assumed that since 18 USC 922g required one to commit a felony (as defined by that statute), one could not be convicted if the offense did not meet that definition - and that the Caron issue was about the inability of states to partially restore rights. Keith was unable to know with certainty if someone with a 269-10j conviction would remain a federal PP if he moved out of state.

This is an interesting discussion item because it would appear that, a straight MGL 269 10(J) violation, on paper, does not make one a PP. It might make you "unlicenseable" in MA but not make you a PP.

-Mike

1. He believes 269-10j to be an arrestable offense. I got my information about "non arrestable" from the Ron Glidden MA gun law course. I have read of cases where someone in alleged violation was cited and not arrested but that may only prove that the officer was following the Glidden doctrine, not what the actual law was

Its certainly not taught as arrestable at the academy or in service level.

Its certainly not taught as arrestable at the academy or in service level.

Out of curiousity, what do they do then? I'm guessing the guy's gun and LTC get confiscated, and then the accused gets like a citation or something where they have to appear in court? (eg like a criminal app type thing like you would get for certain MV infractions)?

-Mike

Out of curiousity, what do they do then? I'm guessing the guy's gun and LTC get confiscated, and then the accused gets like a citation or something where they have to appear in court? (eg like a criminal app type thing like you would get for certain MV infractions)?

-Mike

Honestly? The chances of a Municipal cop dealing with you are much less likely. Its going to be a Campus guy. I highly doubt they are confiscating. Just a gut feeling. Summonsing and notifying issuing department is likely... But I've only heard of it happening at Assumption. A dude had medical and during treatment they found his carry piece. I'll try and find out how it was handled.

Eta: pretty sure he was NOT arrested

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about an incident at Framingham High School some years back. A student's father was picking her up after school. There had been some sort of trouble at the school and a Framingham PD officer was there. The father was on school grounds but outside the building. He was wearing a fanny pack holster. The cop asked him if he had a gun in there. He said he did. The guy was arrested, IIRC.

perhaps he was simply arrested for conspiracy to look like a dork and the gun had nothing to do with it

I read about an incident at Framingham High School some years back. A student's father was picking her up after school. There had been some sort of trouble at the school and a Framingham PD officer was there. The father was on school grounds but outside the building. He was wearing a fanny pack holster. The cop asked him if he had a gun in there. He said he did. The guy was arrested, IIRC.

I'm sure the multiple NES and NRA stickers on his vehicle didn't help…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Interesting - thank you for the follow-up.

How about a closed/abandoned school? Is it still considered a school as far as gun laws go?
No, but IANAL.

There's a re-purposed school in a town not far from me in central MA that is now a daycare, town offices (including PD) and gymnasium. It is not a no-carry zone. (269-10j explicitly references "elementary or secondary school, college or university", not daycares)

I'm wondering about Patriot's Day at Lexington and Concord. I know the gift shop is off limits, but didn't they open up National Parks to carrying?

Back
Top Bottom