• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can't I concealed carry in MA?

I've been wondering this myself, there is one near me with an park the kids go to sometimes

If the School Dept still owns/controls the property, given the recent court case that expanded MGL to prohibit even ammo locked in a MV on the PROPERTY of a school, one could easily get jacked up (and convicted).

For the many here who probably don't know the way municipal gov't works. A school property is NOT owned/controlled by the town but is owned/controlled by the school dept in that town, a separate legal entity. Until they give back control of the building to the Selectmen/Mayor/Town or City Council, it still belongs to the school dept. In fact I am aware of one town where the next town meeting will vote to turn over an abandoned school building property to the Selectmen . . . as of now even though there is nobody/nothing present that has to do with the school, it is still legal property of the school department.

Can I revisit one scenario; carrying on the ocean. Legal/not? How are Massachusetts borders recognized while on the ocean? How about sitting on your boat off the coast of the cape..OK to carry??

Can I revisit one scenario; carrying on the ocean. Legal/not? How are Massachusetts borders recognized while on the ocean? How about sitting on your boat off the coast of the cape..OK to carry??
As long as you are not within 500 ft of Logan international airport.

Illegal if on the ocean within 500ft of Logan airport.

2. Keith's position is that a state level offense that DQ's someone at the state level, but not the federal level, triggers a federal PP under Caron. I had assumed that since 18 USC 922g required one to commit a felony (as defined by that statute), one could not be convicted if the offense did not meet that definition - and that the Caron issue was about the inability of states to partially restore rights. Keith was unable to know with certainty if someone with a 269-10j conviction would remain a federal PP if he moved out of state.

I do not know how someone could be charged under 922g if they did not commit a violation as defined in 922g. The "state restoration of gun rights" as defined by Caron is the restoration of rights denied under federal law for a federally disqualifying offense. But, Langer has the bar license and I don't, so I will have to find someone with an bar card who agrees my conclusion before I consider myself to have credibility in the discussion.

But, under the Langer doctrine, there are more interesting scenarios to poner. Assume someone who lives in MA committed a violent misdemeanor, punishable by < 1 year, in TX. That person is PP in MA. Now, that person moves to MT. Is he still a PP? What about the person in Michigan, who never lived in MA, who is disqualified from a MA NR LTC due to a TX misdemeanor? Is that person federally prohibited?

not daycares
Beware the daycare with an accredited kindergarten program.

- - - Updated - - -

I read about an incident at Framingham High School some years back. A student's father was picking her up after school. There had been some sort of trouble at the school and a Framingham PD officer was there. The father was on school grounds but outside the building. He was wearing a fanny pack holster. The cop asked him if he had a gun in there. He said he did. The guy was arrested, IIRC.

And, to add insult to injury, the cop asked because the father stopped and, of his own initiative, engaged the officer in casual conversation.

... So, I'm correct that it is actually illegal to carry on school grounds, whether public or private, grade school or college? My daily routine often takes me through one or two college campuses (I need to drop off a family member there). Is it suddenly illegal while I'm sitting in my car for a few minutes in a college parking lot? What if it is locked up and in the back, is it still illegal?

Stay away from BU

I'll ask in this as well. I have a friend at umass Amherst. Can I pick him up on the street that runs thru the campus. I'd never leave the car and would be on the roadside.

I'll ask in this as well. I have a friend at umass Amherst. Can I pick him up on the street that runs thru the campus. I'd never leave the car and would be on the roadside.

I'd have him meet you just off campus. Why risk it? Remember, if you are pulled over in a car registered to you, there is high probability they will see you have a LTC, so you may be asked. I'd be concerned about being "detained" on school property if I refused to answer while carrying (or lying to the police).

Of course you CAN, just don't catch the attention of the police.

While I understand and practice this logic. It is nice to be aware of what risks I am taking.
I go by concealed means concealed I drive the speed limit I make sure my lights work and my papers are up to snuff but you never know what could happen so again I ask on the legality of it.

While I understand and practice this logic. It is nice to be aware of what risks I am taking.
I go by concealed means concealed I drive the speed limit I make sure my lights work and my papers are up to snuff but you never know what could happen so again I ask on the legality of it.

I would say that a good attorney should be able to make the argument that an unrestricted, public right of way traversing through the campus, and/or its adjacent sidewalks, cannot be considered school property.

That said, you'd probably still be arrested and have to prove it in court and IANAL.

I'd have him meet you just off campus. Why risk it? Remember, if you are pulled over in a car registered to you, there is high probability they will see you have a LTC, so you may be asked. I'd be concerned about being "detained" on school property if I refused to answer while carrying (or lying to the police).

A friend of mine who does not have a license of any kind was pulled over by MSP & the LEO stated that he knew my friend had a LTC as it came up when he ran the tags. I thought LEO was just fishing, but my friend said he took a course years ago and couldn't remember if he had submitted an app. So, if a LEO runs your plate, will they automatically see your a LTC holder? Or do they need to manually pursue it. My friend said some one else also told him it is now automatic.

I do not know how someone could be charged under 922g if they did not commit a violation as defined in 922g. The "state restoration of gun rights" as defined by Caron is the restoration of rights denied under federal law for a federally disqualifying offense. But, Langer has the bar license and I don't, so I will have to find someone with an bar card who agrees my conclusion before I consider myself to have credibility in the discussion.

But, under the Langer doctrine, there are more interesting scenarios to poner. Assume someone who lives in MA committed a violent misdemeanor, punishable by < 1 year, in TX. That person is PP in MA. Now, that person moves to MT. Is he still a PP? What about the person in Michigan, who never lived in MA, who is disqualified from a MA NR LTC due to a TX misdemeanor? Is that person federally prohibited?

Why do federal firearms laws exist? How?

I'd be annoyed if a cop told me this during a minor stop. What's the point? Are you trying intimidate me by showing off just how much you can find out in three seconds flat? Are you using this as a way to sell a Terry stop, or that by telling me that you know I have an LTC that you can get me to "understand" why you'd like to search me and my vehicle? How about you just keep that tidbit to yourself since 95% of the people you need to actually concerned about don't have an LTC, and not go on a fishing expedition at my expense? Imagine going up to a register at Macy's and having the cashier tell you, "I see that you have a FICO score of 765 and own your own home. Would you mind filling out this Macy's card application? It'll only take a second, and it'll make this whole transaction go much more smoothly." I hate invasive nonsense.

MGLs ONLY prohibit CCW on school properties (including colleges).
I just need to clarify, better to be safe than sorry...

Pepper spray is OK on school grounds, right? Totally understand that it doesn't go bang, but Mrs Warpig has her LTC and wants to make sure.

Last edited:

Pepper spray is OK on school grounds, right? Totally understand that it doesn't go bang, but Mrs Warpig has her LTC and wants to make sure.

Sadly no it is not, unless she gets written permission from the head of the school. A famous Ivy League college in the Boston area prosecuted (successfully) numerous students with OC on campus. It's considered ammunition under MGL currently, which also appears to be forbidden on college property.

Pepper spray is ammunition in MA. Good luck with that. I know at some colleges people can get permission from their campus PD CLEO to carry the stuff if they have an LTC or FID, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

-Mike

A famous Ivy League college in the Boston area prosecuted (successfully) numerous students with OC on campus
As covered before, you never defined "successfully" - as in "filed charges that were dropped", "obtained a 269-10j conviction", "obtained a CWOF", or simply "had some internal campus discipline". While I do not doubt that there is legal peril to carry spray on a college campus, I am still seeking precision on your cite beyond "I remember it, but don't have details, and can't tell you how the case was finally disposed."

And, there is one other place carry is banned under MGL - on the surface of the water within 500ft of Logan.

And, there is one other place carry is banned under MGL - on the surface of the water within 500ft of Logan.

That would be kind of comical. If I won the powerball I'd get like 12 guys in a motorboat with nothing but cans of OC spray and drive it around the water near the airport waving cans of OC in the air. As if, somehow, pepper spray could take down a jet/airliner. [rofl]

-Mike

As covered before, you never defined "successfully" - as in "filed charges that were dropped", "obtained a 269-10j conviction", "obtained a CWOF", or simply "had some internal campus discipline". While I do not doubt that there is legal peril to carry spray on a college campus, I am still seeking precision on your cite beyond "I remember it, but don't have details, and can't tell you how the case was finally disposed."

The prosecutor for their PD told me that they prosecuted successfully in court, so that does mean that charges were not dropped. Suspect (like most cases) it was plead out. I was not discussing campus discipline at all, that's a given and likely expelled from all indications that my Lt. told me. I've yet to get together with the former prosecutor. We've talked briefly on the phone or Email but that is it since he's retired.

Why do federal firearms laws exist? How?

Because the constitution is putty in the hands of the judiciary. The interesting thing is that the older the federal law is, the more carefully written they are to claim a constitutional reason for congress to have the power to write the law. Like the NFA is clearly described as a tax law, and the GCA tries ( with less success) to justify itself with the commerce clause, they barely even bother to maintain the farce these days, even theHughes amendment doesn't really justify itself. The fiat of .gov has grown strong

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine who does not have a license of any kind was pulled over by MSP & the LEO stated that he knew my friend had a LTC as it came up when he ran the tags. I thought LEO was just fishing, but my friend said he took a course years ago and couldn't remember if he had submitted an app. So, if a LEO runs your plate, will they automatically see your a LTC holder? Or do they need to manually pursue it. My friend said some one else also told him it is now automatic.

Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom