What's Up with Angle Tree Gun Club in N. Attleboro???

He's a mousey little guy, isn't he?
rat2.jpg

that is funny! wow, funny.

When I was looking to join a club last early spring, MFG never answered my emails. I have heard that their indoor range has been a work in progress for quite some time. I joined independent. No BS like at Angle Tree. I brought my 12 year old son, his friend and his freinds dad as my guest. No problem. Buy it, shoot it! Nothing like Angle Tree's caliber qualification tests.

http://independentclub.homestead.com/home.html

I am a former member of ATS but recently moved from North Attleboro to Taunton. I joined the Taunton Rifle & Pistol Club and find it a truly welcoming club without a lot of BS rules. Good folks and excellent facilities including a 24/7 indoor range that is really nice. If you are into rifles, their outdoor ranges are excellent as well.

When I was looking to join a club last early spring, MFG never answered my emails. I have heard that their indoor range has been a work in progress for quite some time. I joined independent. No BS like at Angle Tree. I brought my 12 year old son, his friend and his freinds dad as my guest. No problem. Buy it, shoot it! Nothing like Angle Tree's caliber qualification tests.

http://independentclub.homestead.com/home.html

Does Independent plan to build an indoor range?

That's some bs. Old guard needs to understand that without the new blood, the club dies.

Vote with your $$$, find a new club - to hell with them and their behavior, what is this, high school?

Do you get to wear merit badge banners over your shoulder that have a patch for each caliber you've qualified for? That would AWESOME! If I was a member there I would make one for myself and wear it every time I used the range just to show them how ridiculous that rule is.

HI MIke, I have only ben a member since last spring. As far as I know there are no indoor range plans.

Sounds like major league fudds are running the place.

-Mike

They have SAFETY regulations. This includes the requirement that a fouling indicator must be inserted into the weapons on the INDOOR range prior to changing targets.

How many other clubs do you see this?

BTW They have some very good pistol shooters unlike a host of other clubs.

They have SAFETY regulations. This includes the requirement that a fouling indicator must be inserted into the weapons on the INDOOR range prior to changing targets.

What kind of doctor are you? I hope that you are a Proctologist so that you can pull your head out of your ass.

Who gives a shit how good some of the shooters are that belong to the club? When I go to the range I don't spend alot of time evaluating other shooters. I don't care how or what they are shooting. I am there for my own practice. When a guy is good do you hang their targets on the fridge with a gold star on them?

Caliber qualifications and no guests suck. Who cares about the fouling indicator rule? Open actions are not enough? Enjoy your club. It sounds like it is going to be less and less crowded

Safety is good...treating paying adults like children is absolutely ridiculous! So let me get this straight...The restrictive state of MA has issued me a permit that does not restrict caliber, but Angle Tree seems to think that I would need to show my responsibility for each caliber before allowing me to fire said caliber at the club I would be a paying member of? I'll pass! Is Coakley running that place?

We live in Attleboro, so Wife and I stopped on a Weekend last September, as they had a sign out saying "New Members" being accepted. On the way in, we picked up a membership application, looked around a bit, then a very "senior" guy started yelling at me very rudely telling me I have to come back only when there is a Board of Directorys meeting, scowling like we were both tresspassers and bothering him. I am in my 60's and wife in her 50's, a Vietnam Veteran, and have never been so rudely treated in my life.
We continued north just a few miles, to the Mansfield Fish and Game Association, where we had a very warm reception, one of the past presidents, Greg showed us around a bit, and the current VP even lent us ear protectors so we could observe.
In retrospect, I have to thank the rude old Angle Tree board member for steering me away from Angle Tree. I have since heard, it is indeed run by a bunch of old fudds with constant bickering and many members are leaving

Caliber qualification? WTF?

So, if someone owns 1911s in .45 ACP, .45 GAP (for some unknown, unGodly reason), 10mm, .38 Super, 9mm, and .22LR, he would have to qualify with each different pistol, all of which operate exactly the same?

But, if he qualified in 9mm, he could shoot Glocks, 1911s, Lugers, dozens of modern semi-autos with vastly different controls, and even revolvers with moon clips?

Sounds like the BoD members all live in HOAs, too.

What kind of doctor are you? I hope that you are a Proctologist so that you can pull your head out of your ass.

Who gives a shit how good some of the shooters are that belong to the club? When I go to the range I don't spend alot of time evaluating other shooters. I don't care how or what they are shooting. I am there for my own practice. When a guy is good do you hang their targets on the fridge with a gold star on them?

Caliber qualifications and no guests suck. Who cares about the fouling indicator rule? Open actions are not enough? Enjoy your club. It sounds like it is going to be less and less crowded

I have seen people leave bullets in their chambers. Would you laugh when you are going downrange and they are STILL UP there? Or how about the kid whom left his action closed and loaded?

Their rule and enforcement makes sure that no one gets hurt.

Safety is good...treating paying adults like children is absolutely ridiculous! So let me get this straight...The restrictive state of MA has issued me a permit that does not restrict caliber, but Angle Tree seems to think that I would need to show my responsibility for each caliber before allowing me to fire said caliber at the club I would be a paying member of? I'll pass! Is Coakley running that place?

I keep hearing stories about people at the Weymouth Club. This has included shooting side baffles and ceiling baffles at 5-10 feet away from the firing line.

Guys show up at my club who CAN NOT hit their target at 50 feet. If they can not put all the holes of 45 cal into a paper at 50 feet, then they should not be shooting the gun, PERIOD.

There are a lot of guys who can not control their guns. Safety is being realistic and not being macho like 95% of those on this thread. Everyone here is too quick to judge and seems to think that safety magically happens.

Last edited:
I have seen people leave bullets in their chambers. Would you laugh when you are going downrange and they are STILL UP there? Or how about the kid whom left his action closed and loaded?

Their rule and enforcement makes sure that no one gets hurt.

Sorry, but you're simply wrong. Safety isn't connected with specific calibers in any way. Someone who isn't a safe shooter with a .22 short or a .45ACP won't be any safer with some other caliber. Neither is safety connected with shooting skills beyond a bare minimum. Anybody who can hit the broad side of a barn can be a safe shooter, just as someone who can put 99% of his shots in the X-ring can be a dangerous fool.

Ken

I keep hearing stories about people at the Weymouth Club. This has included shooting side baffles and ceiling baffles at 5-10 feet away from the firing line.

"Qualifying" for each caliber isn't going to stop asshats from acting like asshats. People like that need to be given a time-out to learn a lesson or dropped from the membership. Instead, you are restricting all of your members in the name of safety instead of just taking care of the real problem.

Guys show up at my club who CAN NOT hit their target at 50 feet. If they can not put all the holes of 45 cal into a paper at 50 feet, then they should not be shooting the gun, PERIOD.

So how should one to learn to shoot? I guess you were born a marksman and expect everyone else to be as well? When I went to my NRA course for my permit there were a fair number of people that couldn't hit a target AT ALL at 25' with a .22 revolver. Do you actually think they shouldn't be allowed to shoot? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think they should be allowed to LEARN to shoot...after all, that's what the damn backstop is for and it's what MOST gun clubs are all about.

Last edited:
The Doctor,
You are an elitist snob. You represent all that is wrong with shooting. You've honed your skills at shooting to a level where anyone who doesn't measure up to your abilities "is unsafe, and doesn't deserve to shoot at a range". You may as well be on the Brady's payroll. You pass off your concerns under the guise of safety, but you can't even admit to yourself that safety has nothing to do with it. You want ranges to be limited to other "like minded" folks such as yourself, people who look down on others because they can't afford to shoot "good quality" guns, chose not to participate in league shooting, shoot calibers you don't like or approve of, wear clothing you deem inappropriate, etc. YOU are a "fudd", people like YOU make ranges suck. People like YOU if left unchecked will bring about the travesty of gun ownership and shooting as seen in the UK.

Safety is a matter of mindset, not hardware.

This includes everyone on the line, and near it. If I'm going down range, I do not assume that everyone else has cleared their action. I ask. If there is someone downrange, and I'm back at the line, and I see someone doing (or about to do ) something unsafe, I call them on it. Politely.

Attitude is contagious - if you come across as an ass, or an unsafe shooter, then this will spread. And, make it worse for everyone.

I'm a big fan of range safety. I see no problem with having people qualify on that basis. I belong to Harvard (which is an awesomely good club), and we are required to qualify for the Indoor Range, the Machine Gun pits anf the 200/300 yeard ranges, all for reaosns of safety. I think this is not only acceptable but a GOOD thing. I don't like being on the range with other people who don't appreciate firearm safety. It dimishes the fun.

On the other hand, any club that wishes to thrive (rather than die) must be welcoming and, most importantly, must understand that the primary mission of a gun club is to PROMOTE the shooting sports. This means hosting safety classes, encouraging new members, having the boy scouts in, having GOAL in for the Women On Target events, etc. Most importantly, a gun club BOD needs to be willing to LISTEN to the members, especially the new members. There is nothing I can't stand more than hearing "because that's the way we've always done it" as a supposed explanation for something.

I USED to be an active member of some other clubs but the in-fighting was depressing and I had to leave.

all gun clubs have a certian numbers of members who like to fight with each other, but some are better than others on this score.

I'm a big fan of range safety. I see no problem with having people qualify on that basis. I belong to Harvard (which is an awesomely good club), and we are required to qualify for the Indoor Range, the Machine Gun pits anf the 200/300 yeard ranges, all for reaosns of safety. I think this is not only acceptable but a GOOD thing. I don't like being on the range with other people who don't appreciate firearm safety. It dimishes the fun.

On the other hand, any club that wishes to thrive (rather than die) must be welcoming and, most importantly, must understand that the primary mission of a gun club is to PROMOTE the shooting sports. This means hosting safety classes, encouraging new members, having the boy scouts in, having GOAL in for the Women On Target events, etc. Most importantly, a gun club BOD needs to be willing to LISTEN to the members, especially the new members. There is nothing I can't stand more than hearing "because that's the way we've always done it" as a supposed explanation for something.

I USED to be an active member of some other clubs but the in-fighting was depressing and I had to leave.

all gun clubs have a certian numbers of members who like to fight with each other, but some are better than others on this score.

If you are concerned about safety, then have then show proper handling of a firearm at the shooting line as opposed to calibre qualifications. Qualifications have next to nothing to do with safety.

Back
Top Bottom