Ipswich Brewery N/D

If the report just said “a juvenile” how else would you refer to them?

Proper grammar doesn’t have to have anything to do with political correctness.

“He or she”
“The juvenile”
“The minor”
“The child”

There are many ways to refer to the individual(that’s another one) without using plural pronouns for a singular context.

“He or she”
“The juvenile”
“The minor”
“The child”

There are many ways to refer to the individual(that’s another one) without using plural pronouns for a singular context.
My Dictionary app sez: "...In present day use, thou, thee, thy, and thine survive...".
This is quite the two threads in one…
When it fell, a cockroach climbed onto the trigger. Thine imagination takes over at this point. Winner!.gif

Last edited:
“He or she”
“The juvenile”
“The minor”
“The child”

After referring to someone simply as a juvenile, lacking any gender info, they or them have always been the common pronouns to use.

If someone told me their boss just messaged them and I did not know anything about the boss, I would ask “what did they have to say.” Also in that sentence, the someone is singular but it is perfectly normal to refer to them as them. Always has been.

Interesting take on “them”, @Rob Boudrie . It seems to be evolving further at this point. An example might be “if someone shows up looking for this envelope, give it to them.”. We are starting to see a further de evolution in colloquial English with ‘em.

To say that plural pronouns have not been used historically when gender was not specified is incorrect.

It seems like a recent thing to me. Not related to the wacky gender woke shit, though. I don’t think it’s related to that. The use of plural pronouns to refer to singular nouns predates that, I believe. But I don’t remember journalists using incorrect grammar as commonly as they do now.

It sounds like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it. My grammar isn’t great. But it just sounds bad from a journalist to use incorrect grammar.

Since the concept of "alternate personal pronouns" was introduced.

"They" became the singular term when "he" or "her" was not appropriate because someone is neither. This was a goof in the evolution of the English language, and has since also become a singular for he or her. This allows it to be used when sexual identity is unknown, and allows writers to reduce their risk of being denounced as unwoke. We don't have an equivalent of LEcole Francaisein this country, but the AP Style Guide indirectly provides for a level of indoctrination.

I am not bothered by the LGBwhatevers having alternate pronouns, but I still find the use of "they"" as a singular the syntactic equivalent of fingernails on the chalkboard.
Actually, of all the English-language tweaks, this is one of which I am in favor.

MsHappy used to teach Bridge, and wrote handouts, for her lessons. I'd read them to make sure that they were intelligible by a non-expert, and to proof them. Since it was a mixed class, and she wanted to be inclusive, kluges like
s/he and him/her were used. "They" would have made it a better read, and accomplished the goal.

That said, I feel for your aural discomfort.

What's driving me nuts, recently, is, "Thank-you, thank-you!" [puke]

Perhaps I'll post that in my First World Problems thread. [laugh]

Did we find out if the ND guy is from NH as the article mentioned? I

True story: I drove past that brewery tuesday night. Didnt stop in but meaning to check it out sometime.

You are manufacturing stuff to be mad about. Have fun.

To say that plural pronouns have not been used historically when gender was not specified is incorrect.
I'm not sure how you got the impression that I'm mad. I'm far from mad. I'm just amused at the lack of adherence to journalistic and grammatic accuracy that was once expected of professional writers.
Plural pronouns are used just for that; to indicate plural, and when used as it is in this article it indicates a poorly educated writer who has an insufficiently stringent editor.

If it's true this was a NH resident I wonder if he had a non res permit. All I know is I wouldn't want to be that guy right now, I don't know how bad MA is with that charge.

If it's true this was a NH resident I wonder if he had a non res permit. All I know is I wouldn't want to be that guy right now, I don't know how bad MA is with that charge.
He'll likely have to plead guilty, and avoid jail but be a PP. Ipswich is in Essex County so not full retard like Suffolk (Boston).

You are manufacturing stuff to be mad about. Have fun.

Technically true, however, it has become much more common.

It use to be that a statement like "They went fishing" meant more tha one person did so.

Back
Top Bottom