What rifle would you want on your way out to the revolution?

What rifle would you grab on your way to the revolution?

• Garand

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • M1A / M14

Votes: 57 21.1%
  • FAL

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • AR15

Votes: 130 48.1%
  • Robarms XCR

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • SKS

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • AK47

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters
The MAS comment was a joke. Yes I have seen them, I almost bought one from ZHA chambered in .308. They are cool guns, just felt like making a joke. I learned my lesson.

The MAS comment was a joke. Yes I have seen them, I almost bought one from ZHA chambered in .308. They are cool guns, just felt like making a joke. I learned my lesson.

Lots of folks almost bought the ZHA one in .308 including myself and Ripach. I don't know why its still there.

I'm still kicking myself for passing up on one still in the arsenal wrap on Terry Good's table at one of the first gun shows I went to. Accessories and all and the price was $300.[crying]

I agree.

For now you'll have to get Ken (USMA-82) to bring his to the next Shirley shoot.[grin]

I'd be happy to bring it to the next shoot. The MAS 49/56 really is a fantastic rifle - carbine length, rifle-size caliber (7.5x54mm), and with the ability to shoot rifle grenades if needed.

Here's a good background article from "Guns Magazine" for the less-informed:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_48/ai_85472061/pg_2

The original 3.85x power scope includes a vertical post sight, and is perfect for close-in work. The rifle is a bit heavy for its size, but these were made in the day of wood and steel, after all. They were, in fact used by the French Foreign Legion, and made many a trip to Vietnam and Africa during their many "excursions".

Unfortunately, the .308 rifles that have been rechambered from the original caliber are generally not "trusted", as many were poorly done.

It would definitely be a formidable rifle for the scenario we've laid out, but 7.5 x 54 ammo would not be as plentiful as it would be for others. So, I'm afraid it might have to weather the storm in my safe.

Unless we're attacked by the French....

Last edited:
MAS 49-56 ( my finger slipped it's 7.5 not 7.7mm)

To all you guys and TYPEO1313 in particular, for goodness sakes where's your sense of humor!! We're all Americans first and foremost and our weapons show our diversity to all the militaries of all countries!! I'm not a AR-15 (M-16) owner because I'm more a traditional older wood and metal collector. I respect them have no doubts about that,it's that many collect these weapons I just want to cover the more obscure ones as far as I'm concerned all of them need a home before the U.N. does their damdest to destroy the 2nd Ammendment!!! I've been a collector for over 50 years and I'll be darned if these idiots are going to neuter me or mine, I will never allow them to destroy over 600.000 weapons as they did in Australia, thats what they want!!! 56/50

I have thought about getting a 49/56 a few times - are there any local shops that might have one?

There are some very nice looking examples on gunbroker in the $400 - $550 range, I'm not sure what sort of prices the MAS gets out on the market.

How much does ammo run for them?

AR-15, However, I have yet to get my paws on an AR. So with what I have in the safe, I would take the Garand. I know it, I can hit with it.

Those are SUPERB reasons to choose a particular gun. Very practicle.

The best gun is the one you have, and that you can hit stuff with. Period. The actual type is nuance!

I lucked out and got my MAS 49/56 during the "Great Strickland Gun Shop" buy for $250, but that was an anomoly. Normally, you're looking at $350 to $600, depending on condition.

Ammo can be found, both at gun shops and at gun shows - I believe the Prvi Partizan stuff runs $12.99 to $14.99, or close to it, for a 20 round box. Best bet, of course, is to load your own and save 2/3 or so.

Truth be told - I paid more for the original scope and mount than I did for the rifle!

I have thought about getting a 49/56 a few times - are there any local shops that might have one?

do you want it in .308 or the original 7.5 french

last i saw Valley Sports in East Hampton had a .308 one

SineMetu82 said:
AR-15, However, I have yet to get my paws on an AR. So with what I have in the safe, I would take the Garand. I know it, I can hit with it.

I think that is the most important thing to consider. If you had to choose one long gun it should be the one you are most proficient with. Well if you're best with a 10/22 you might want to reconsider. [wink]

Anyone read Fred's guide to becoming a rifleman? He lays out a scenario of having to take up arms. He recommends the M1A.

Personally I'd go with an AR or M1A. The AR would probably be better for an all around purpose, where the M1A will be perfect for long range (which would be the preferable one IMO). The few times I've shot one I have done better than with an AR for some reason.

Anyone read Fred's guide to becoming a rifleman? He lays out a scenario of having to take up arms. He recommends the M1A.

Personally I'd go with an AR or M1A. The AR would probably be better for an all around purpose, where the M1A will be perfect for long range (which would be the preferable one IMO). The few times I've shot one I have done better than with an AR for some reason.

Times, they are a changin'. There was a time when a good spear was the weapon of choice.

no, thats not what im saying at all. ill be right there with a resistance when the government gets out of control. what im trying to say is the chances of living are slim to none. is it worth fighting for? absolutely.

I wasn't commenting on your answer. It just struck me that was the perfect answer to "what rifle"? Of COURSE, the pen!

In all seriousness, if it comes down to it, we'll all have to decide what to do. I'm not the "infantry" type, but as someone else pointed out, mounting an M-60 on my bicycle and storming an Apache is not going to cut it anyway.

Resistance, though, is NOT mounting a frontal assault on superior forces. Resistance is demoralizing the enemy, selectively thinning the herd, imposing obstacles for them to overcome and so on.

The US Army is NOT going to sweep through Metrowest blasting anything that moves. We could not fight them if they did.

Perhaps, if things get bad enough, National Guard or even Army troops might police us, enforce curfews, shoot the occasional group of armed bicyclists, etc. THAT, we can fight with the sort of weapons many of us have or could improvise.

Next shoot???

I'd like to go to a shoot but my problem is MAS OK, maybe my Spencer, Sharps Carbines ( both originals) I'm doing my reloads now, then I look at my Winchester 73 38/40, 94 38/55, or then my Krag rifle and carbine stare at me,then my trapdoors 3 rifles 1 carbine 45/70,remember us!! Then of course the old timer hand guns Rem. .44 new model army, Rem. 1875 .44 rimfire,Colt 49 pocket .32, Manhattan .32, Colt 1851 navy .36, and my newest addition a break from the norm Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt and on and on it goes, I'm not bragging because I know we're all in the same boat, but how do you make up your mind?? There's no way I'd take them all out or even a few of them, what a decision to try to make!!!! 56/50 p.s. Fox news just said Kennedy is back in the Hospital!!

With all the rifles that will be out of the closets and on the streets or out in the woods should it ever come to revolution, then all you might need is this:

liberator.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator
for use by resistance forces in occupied territories

The object in war is not to have the best weapon. The object in war is to kill the enemy and take HIS weapon. On Revolution Day, you might just have your pick of rifles. Just make sure you take 'em off the guys that are on the wrong side.

He wants it because all the French milsurps are in "Never been fired" condition.

I've got an Etienne Mle 1890 MD Carbine with a hand written tag on it that says the model and: "Excellent Condition. Never fired. Dropped once."

Of course, it holds three whole rounds of 8x50R Lebel, which, if you ever find some, let me know. I never have. While you're at it, some 11x17.8R would be nice, too.

Out of curiosity, I posed this question to my wife, who likes to shoot occasionally but isn't particularly interested in guns and would have a hard time telling an AR-15 from an FAL or an M1A from a Garand.

With no context or lead in, I ask her "What weapon would you bring if the revolution started tomorrow?" She answers "A gun." [thinking]

With a little more background, she changes her answer to "Whichever one I could get the most ammunition for." [grin]

I'd give her a rep point but I'd get [rolleyes] in return.

[slap]

You do know what REVOLUTION is, right?

The whole object is we would be up against US Gov't backed troops trying to squash the Constitution. Now, I'm not a betting man, but I would put good money down thinking they almost 100% certain would be using the AR platform, or other 5.56 NATO rifle.

if this is true im sure when you run out of ak ammo you can find ar on the ground somewhere as crude as that sounds

I'd like to go to a shoot but my problem is MAS OK, maybe my Spencer, Sharps Carbines ( both originals) I'm doing my reloads now, then I look at my Winchester 73 38/40, 94 38/55, or then my Krag rifle and carbine stare at me,then my trapdoors 3 rifles 1 carbine 45/70,remember us!! Then of course the old timer hand guns Rem. .44 new model army, Rem. 1875 .44 rimfire,Colt 49 pocket .32, Manhattan .32, Colt 1851 navy .36, and my newest addition a break from the norm Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt and on and on it goes, I'm not bragging because I know we're all in the same boat, but how do you make up your mind?? There's no way I'd take them all out or even a few of them, what a decision to try to make!!!! 56/50 p.s. Fox news just said Kennedy is back in the Hospital!!

Write down all of the guns you have on pieces of paper. Put them in a hat. Draw as many as you think you feel like cleaning the next day and bring them to a shoot.

I would have an SKS, simply because that is the only combat rifle I own.

I would struggle with the weight of the rifle, the 10 round capacity, stripper clips, and a low rate of fire.

The accuracy isn't top notch either. I guess you could take 10 quick shots at a group of enemy and run away. I wouldn't try much more with this rifle.

I would have an SKS, simply because that is the only combat rifle I own.

I would struggle with the weight of the rifle, the 10 round capacity, stripper clips, and a low rate of fire.

The accuracy isn't top notch either. I guess you could take 10 quick shots at a group of enemy and run away. I wouldn't try much more with this rifle.

id take a mosin or a 1903 over a SKS anyday.

Sig 556, FS 2000, TPD AXR or other modern gas piston .223 rifle. Too many problems with AR-15s to really want to use it for real.

Last edited:
I've got an Etienne Mle 1890 MD Carbine with a hand written tag on it that says the model and: "Excellent Condition. Never fired. Dropped once."

Of course, it holds three whole rounds of 8x50R Lebel, which, if you ever find some, let me know. I never have. While you're at it, some 11x17.8R would be nice, too.

Let me know if you get tired looking for Lebel ammo - I'll gladly adopt your carbine!

Just reloaded some 8mm Lebel last night!

I think that is the most important thing to consider. If you had to choose one long gun it should be the one you are most proficient with. Well if you're best with a 10/22 you might want to reconsider. [wink]

Derek, I'm MOST proficient with a Savage Model 99 in 250-3000 Savage from 1930. I can hit bottle caps offhand at 100 yards with it, I've been shooting it since I was 13.

But it's not what I'd grab first. I'm still taking my AR.

IF this was multi chice I'd be taking the bycycles full of stuff. Can't get elephants here like they did on the Ho Chi Mihn Trail.

Back
Top Bottom