What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Lol at these threads honestly, they always turn into "308 iS nO gOoD fOr 1000 yArDs!" and then it devolves into this:

look-at-this-graph-nickelback.gif

I shoot a 16" 308 gasser out to 1k regularly, its not that big of a deal, being a competent shooter, knowing your rifle, ammo, and the atmospherics is what matters, more so than trajectory charts and constantly chasing the newest hipster bullet featured in gun digest. Id prefer to invest in a 308 and a good kestrel, LRF, quality glass with a tremor reticle, and a spotter over chasing the latest PRS Kardashian round and platform any day.

All that said, if you're not cheating "oN tHe tWo wAy rAnGe bOrThEr!" you're wrong, its really nice not having to dial or worry about wind as much with say something in 6.5 creed vs 308. 1000 isnt really that impressive of a benchmark anymore, 1000 is certainly in 308s realm but its past 1000 where things like 6.5, 338, etc are going to really assert dominance. So yeah, i really want an SR25 in 6.5 creed but for now my 308 f***s hard enough.

Oh and while im at it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngaidaynoodleflex
20220207_182841.jpg

My 107 shoots about a minute to minute and a half with garbage m33 ball. The hornady 750gr amax stuff is much more consistent. I look at my 50 more like a poor mans non recoilless recoilless rifle, minute of critical infrastructure is all i ask for.
You always have to consider the shooter. For me, my M82A1 is about 2 MOA. But that’s for me. I am the reverse side proof of “it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian”. I have some very high end gear and still shoot like s**t. Though even I can get 1 MOA groups with my Bergara BPR17 PDC Comp Chassis in 6.5CM.

Lol at these threads honestly, they always turn into "308 iS nO gOoD fOr 1000 yArDs!" and then it devolves into this:

View attachment 614249

I shoot a 16" 308 gasser out to 1k regularly, its not that big of a deal, being a competent shooter, knowing your rifle, ammo, and the atmospherics is what matters, more so than trajectory charts and constantly chasing the newest hipster bullet featured in gun digest. Id prefer to invest in a 308 and a good kestrel, LRF, quality glass with a tremor reticle, and a spotter over chasing the latest PRS Kardashian round and platform any day.

All that said, if you're not cheating "oN tHe tWo wAy rAnGe bOrThEr!" you're wrong, its really nice not having to dial or worry about wind as much with say something in 6.5 creed vs 308. 1000 isnt really that impressive of a benchmark anymore, 1000 is certainly in 308s realm but its past 1000 where things like 6.5, 338, etc are going to really assert dominance. So yeah, i really want an SR25 in 6.5 creed but for now my 308 f***s hard enough.

Oh and while im at it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngaidaynoodleflex
View attachment 614251
Why's the barrel installed upside down?

so, i finally committed. :)
the custom build would be fun, but, for the worst or for the best, will see, but i decided to go with this one - in 6 dasher and triggertech diamond trigger - will see how it will work out for me.

ordered also sets of type S dies, bushings, extra tool heads for dillon, and now will need to find brass for it somewhere.
MPA just sent an email, saying order is complete, with a UPS tracking #. that was not too long.
only downside - all 6 dasher stuff is sold out, no brass and no berger hybrid bullits nowhere. i have a 100 of lapua 6 br and some hornady 105gr to fireform, will see how will that go.

My buddy is over at Forbes shooting 800, 900, and 1000 yards with his Palma rifle (308, iron sights). Thought people would like to see what a 308 can do at distance. Keep in mind this is prone position with a sling as the only means of support; no bench, bipod, or rest of any kind.
View attachment 616070
View attachment 616071
View attachment 616072
That is DAM impressive long range scores for sling prone with irons ! Outstanding. I WISH I had the eyes, I love the challenge of iron sights. You mentioned "Palma" rifle , what type of rifle and sight is used for this type of event ?

Last edited:
That is DAM impressive long range scores for sling prone with irons ! Outstanding. I WISH I had the eyes, I love the challenge of iron sights. You mentioned "Palma" rifle , what type of rifle and sight is used for this type of event ?
3.3.1 U.S. Palma Rifle
(a) a rifle with metallic sights chambered for the unmodified .308/7.62 mm NATO or .223/5.56 mm NATO cartridge case.
(b) any service rifle with metallic sights chambered for the unmodified .308/7.62 mm NATO or .223/5.56 mm NATO cartridge case.

MPA just sent an email, saying order is complete, with a UPS tracking #. that was not too long.
only downside - all 6 dasher stuff is sold out, no brass and no berger hybrid bullits nowhere. i have a 100 of lapua 6 br and some hornady 105gr to fireform, will see how will that go.

Curious to hear how this shoots. Looking for something similar

.338 remington ultra mag, Leupold scope. but my shoulder can not take the pounding anymore, so its become my hangar queen.
A Savage .300 win mag is what i hunt with now.

No long range set up.

My mid-range (out to 600 yards) is a Remington 700P LTR in .308 with Leupy MK4 3.5-10x40 with M3 knobs. I’ve had it for about 15 years.

Shoots slightly better than MOA with 168gr FGMM. Shoots like a laser with hand loaded 165gr Sierra Game Kings out to 300 yards.

Curious to hear how this shoots. Looking for something similar
Received the rifle today - it came with rubber torn on the stock, will try to communicate with the MPA.
Also as a smaller annoyance - they shipped it in a plastic carry case as they announced on the web site, but it is not tall enough to fit this gun with any scope attached to it.
Both things indicate of cost cutting approach and lack of attention, i guess. well, it is what it is. i hope it will at least shoot well. will see.
overall it looks ok.

mpa_rubber.jpg

Received the rifle today - it came with rubber torn on the stock, will try to communicate with the MPA.
Also as a smaller annoyance - they shipped it in a plastic carry case as they announced on the web site, but it is not tall enough to fit this gun with any scope attached to it.
Both things indicate of cost cutting approach and lack of attention, i guess. well, it is what it is. i hope it will at least shoot well. will see.
overall it looks ok.

View attachment 617340

That sucks as the first impression is very important. I was considering these guys for my rifle as well. Definitely let us know how it shoots!

I like their chassis, but have stayed away from buying a rifle because of the mixed reviews/feedback about curtis actions

I've seen a ton of positive reviews too. I think it all depends on which forum you listen too.
well, the major complaint was about material to be a 416 that is easier to machine, and it handling high pressures not as good as 17-4, but it is not truly the factor for my rifle in 6 dasher, but, of course - it is all going to be crystal clear after first couple of shooting sessions.
from what i can tell now - i do not see obvious enough burrs on the steel, bolt moves smooth enough when lubed - probably a bit more play on the open bolt compared to LRP bergara, but nothing too bad. feels smooth enough, again, will need to see how it shoots.

also a stupid arken 20moa mount i got for free cannot be used there, will have to use rings on it - so will have 20moa only from rail and not 40moa from both the rail and mount. well, it is what it is, again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom