What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

yep, i ordered some from midsouth shooters - at 30cpr. did you try them? are they comparable to the 54cpr bergers?

I want to get access to the reading 600yds range eventually but cannot find anybody to sponsor me. :) i did not ask around a lot yet, frankly, but, it is still in longer term plans.

i ordered so far only 100 of lapua BRs - will see how process will go. i think i rather just wait and get petersons when they will eventually appear in stock.
I have about 500 left, ran them while fireforming. With no load development just breaking in barrel it was shooting 1/2” at 100. I plan to work a load up here soon with them as to run them at or club match to preserve the hybrids.

My mom told me.
no one argues with that, but, well.
Range (yards)Drop (inches)Velocity (fps)Bullet energy (ft.lb)
0-1.5027002720
300-14.4421621744
1000-389.741214550

a 550 ft.lb is still something, but, it is not what it does at 300.

no one argues with that, but, well.
Range (yards)Drop (inches)Velocity (fps)Bullet energy (ft.lb)
0-1.5027002720
300-14.4421621744
1000-389.741214550

a 550 ft.lb is still something, but, it is not what it does at 300.
Are you saying the 308 is only a 300 yard cartridge?
I hope you're not saying that.

Are you saying the 308 is only a 300 yard cartridge?
I hope you're not saying that.
data says all that needs to be said. a 390" of drop accompanied with wind drift while dropping.
what i am saying is that i am not shooting a moose with it at 1000yds. as of making holes in paper - or in frail humans - it will do, a 550ft.lb from a 168gr bullet is still something.

Last edited:
I hope he is.
well, here is a chart that makes more sense, probably, if one wants sense. i am not arguing with anybody, i own rifles in all those calibers.
horses for courses.
and, just to note - my 6.5CM loads shoot at 2810fps, not 2700fps.
6 Dasher will exit closer to 3000fps, with even less drift. too boring to search for charts for that one.
1651167646227.png

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought this entire discussion thread was about target shooting: paper (or steel if that's the way you swing).
If you are under the impression that the .308 is no good out to 1000 yards, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by what it can do.
If i was investing in a dedicated 1000 yard target rifle and i wasnt bound by competition rules; yes, I would probably choose something different. But, I'm pretty sure I have said it before, if a person already has a 308, there's no reason they can't use it to the limits of their ability at 1000.

And i think your ballistic charts need adjusting. Guys shooting the 308 at 1000 are using either the 155 Palma bullet at close to 3000fps or a heavier 175-180 at 2900. The 168 is an intermediate bullet: it'll work, kind of, at 600, but its better at 3. Forget it at 1000.
Inches of drop don't mean much; that's why the sights have knobs.

This is what I plan on picking up some time in the not-to-distant future. While I prefer semi-auto, the cost is somewhat prohibitive, so the model 95 fits the bill.:

This is what I currently use though my range only goes out to 400 yards. I'd like to find a place to shoot out to 800+. DPMS AR10 .308 custom build with DPMS Match 22" barrel, PWS FSC muzzle brake, Geissele trigger, Magpul stock and grip, BCM charging handle and Trijicon Accupoint 9x40 scope. It started life in the pic below...

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

Last edited:
This is what I plan on picking up some time in the not-to-distant future. While I prefer semi-auto, the cost is somewhat prohibitive, so the model 95 fits the bill.:

This is what I currently use though my range only goes out to 400 yards. I'd like to find a place to shoot out to 800+. DPMS AR10 .308 custom build with DPMS Match 22" barrel, PWS FSC muzzle brake, Geissele trigger, Magpul stock and grip, BCM charging handle and Trijicon Accupoint 9x40 scope. It started life in the pic below...

View attachment 609303

View attachment 609311
If you’re going for precision, you do NOT want a Barrett semi-auto. I have an M82A1 and it is minute of car engine at 600 yards (not really that bad, but 2 MOA groups is a good day with good ammo). I mean, the whole damn barrel moves back almost 2 inches with each shot. The bolt version is much more accurate, though match grade ammo for .50 BMG is going to cost you around $7 per round. Most competitive .50 cal shooters handload to get exactly what they want.

If you want a reasonably accurate .50 BMG semi-auto you would need to look at the Serbu BFG-50A, but that’s on a three year backorder.

Go to the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association website (https://www.1moa.org) if you want to see what all the competitive .50 cal shooters are using. They are almost all bolt action like this:
IMG_0969.jpeg
And I particularly like this guys bolt assist tool:

so, i finally committed. :)
the custom build would be fun, but, for the worst or for the best, will see, but i decided to go with this one - in 6 dasher and triggertech diamond trigger - will see how it will work out for me.

ordered also sets of type S dies, bushings, extra tool heads for dillon, and now will need to find brass for it somewhere.
They will work a load for your rifle for cheap money, I think $350 (probably less than it would cost to buy several bullet weights, several powders and spend a while testing yourself).

I want one of their rifles, if I get one, I will have them work the load.

Call me lazy, but I have 5 other guns that need load development and I want to focus on.

They will work a load for your rifle for cheap money, I think $350 (probably less than it would cost to buy several bullet weights, several powders and spend a while testing yourself).

I want one of their rifles, if I get one, I will have them work the load.

Call me lazy, but I have 5 other guns that need load development and I want to focus on.
It is a part that is most fun, to play with loads.
Plus it is a 6 dasher. Its load is a 32.5gr varget on a 105gr Berger bullet.
Should not be too difficult.

Last edited:
I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?
You don't need to spend a fortune on a scope, I ran a 3-10 leupold for a few years. I know it was the 90s, but it did just fine.

You don't need to spend a fortune on a scope, I ran a 3-10 leupold for a few years. I know it was the 90s, but it did just fine.
You cannot be seriously comparing early 90s lenses with modern ones cut in 2022.
There was a huge leap there. It is a fact.

I'm not comparing anything. OP said he had to drop a lot on a scope, he doesn't.

And my leupold still works past 1000.
I bought my rifle and scope both used and they work well. I think this is one thing where buy once cry once may not be accurate. I think getting a cheaper rifle and a good scope are the way to go while you figure out what actually works for you. Then after that is when you get the custom built stuff.

I keep reminding myself: less time thinking, more time shooting

I bought my rifle and scope both used and they work well. I think this is one thing where buy once cry once may not be accurate. I think getting a cheaper rifle and a good scope are the way to go while you figure out what actually works for you. Then after that is when you get the custom built stuff.

I keep reminding myself: less time thinking, more time shooting
I agree. I have met some people with some "cheaper" options, and they did very well. Have to put the time in.

Not getting into the whole china thing, but there are a lot of good optics for under 1k now as well.

It is a part that is most fun, to play with loads.
Plus it is a 6 dasher. Its load is a 32.5gr varget on a 105gr Berger bullet.
Should not be too difficult.
I agree it is fun. I just have a few I am working on, so I would let someone else develop the load.

I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?

Attachments

• 20220412_165808.jpg
    20220412_165808.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 6

View attachment 609303

View attachment 609311
If you’re looking for a precision rifle I wouldn’t get a 50 cal rifle. Good at destroying cars etc but last I knew 50 BMG is not an ultra accurate round. Not to mention it’s expensive to shoot even if you reload. Of course it’s a big boomer which is fun 😂

The deer I shot from 50 feet away with 6.5cm got f***ed up
I have one more unused ar10 lower and probably will try to make an ultralight 6.5cm pencil upper for it, if 308 faxon barrel will work out. It is under 2lb and they have 6.5cm as well.

... last I knew 50 BMG is not an ultra accurate round.
69507d8bb52894edbf5b7a83481dde11.jpg

I have one more unused ar10 lower and probably will try to make an ultralight 6.5cm pencil upper for it, if 308 faxon barrel will work out. It is under 2lb and they have 6.5cm as well.
I still need an ar10, I know it should be in 308 but I don't really want a new caliber

Back
Top Bottom