• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Lol at these threads honestly, they always turn into "308 iS nO gOoD fOr 1000 yArDs!" and then it devolves into this:

View attachment 614249

I shoot a 16" 308 gasser out to 1k regularly, its not that big of a deal, being a competent shooter, knowing your rifle, ammo, and the atmospherics is what matters, more so than trajectory charts and constantly chasing the newest hipster bullet featured in gun digest. Id prefer to invest in a 308 and a good kestrel, LRF, quality glass with a tremor reticle, and a spotter over chasing the latest PRS Kardashian round and platform any day.

All that said, if you're not cheating "oN tHe tWo wAy rAnGe bOrThEr!" you're wrong, its really nice not having to dial or worry about wind as much with say something in 6.5 creed vs 308. 1000 isnt really that impressive of a benchmark anymore, 1000 is certainly in 308s realm but its past 1000 where things like 6.5, 338, etc are going to really assert dominance. So yeah, i really want an SR25 in 6.5 creed but for now my 308 f***s hard enough.

Oh and while im at it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngaidaynoodleflex
View attachment 614251
Is this rifle mounted to the standard 1/4-20 stud that comes with all photo tripods?

There was a Woox chassis at Ridgeline last weekend. It was the best-looking rifle on the range by far! I think Cape Gun Works is selling those... Gotta pay them a visit.

Received the rifle today - it came with rubber torn on the stock, will try to communicate with the MPA.
Also as a smaller annoyance - they shipped it in a plastic carry case as they announced on the web site, but it is not tall enough to fit this gun with any scope attached to it.
Both things indicate of cost cutting approach and lack of attention, i guess. well, it is what it is. i hope it will at least shoot well. will see.
overall it looks ok.

View attachment 617340
Wow ... they are trying to save $50 or less on a $3K+ gun? WTF ...

Did they recently hire a Smith and Wesson executive?

Wow ... they are trying to save $50 or less on a $3K+ gun? WTF ...

Did they recently hire a Smith and Wesson executive?
i was kinda surprised, but, who cares. ordered myself a good enough $60 case for it, it is not an issue, just, well, odd.
and stupid, as this one i will just have to throw away. it would be simpler just to ship rifle in a carton box, i would not care.

Here it is. i don`t think i have anything at all that can fit there, may be only a shotgun, but i already have its own case for it.

4732936B-77D8-4BD9-9A00-E9792BFBDBF9.jpeg

i was kinda surprised, but, who cares. ordered myself a good enough $60 case for it, it is not an issue, just, well, odd.
and stupid, as this one i will just have to throw away. it would be simpler just to ship rifle in a carton box, i would not care.

Here it is. i don`t think i have anything at all that can fit there, may be only a shotgun, but i already have its own case for it.

View attachment 617390
Use it for handguns. Makes it easier to bring 10 handguns to the range.

View attachment 617390
Wish they would have shipped it in cardboard vs spending money on that abortion… wtf are the my thinking?

I think the Harbour Freight cases are pretty good

Speaking of cases... Pelican, Storm, Boyt, SKB, Nanuk, even HF are all great. I have several and I'll keep them for air travel or long trips.

But as I get older, they get heavier and it seems like I take more stuff with me to the range now.

For these rifles with 26" or longer barrels and 56mm scopes I find that hard cases large enough to enclose them are F-ing heavy even empty.

This Plano Airglide case is great for long big scoped rifles. I wouldn't use one for air travel or shipping, but for back and forth the the range, I'll grab it over my pelicans or boyts.

Speaking of cases... Pelican, Storm, Boyt, SKB, Nanuk, even HF are all great. I have several and I'll keep them for air travel or long trips.

But as I get older, they get heavier and it seems like I take more stuff with me to the range now.

For these rifles with 26" or longer barrels and 56mm scopes I find that hard cases large enough to enclose them are F-ing heavy even empty.

This Plano Airglide case is great for long big scoped rifles. I wouldn't use one for air travel or shipping, but for back and forth the the range, I'll grab it over my pelicans or boyts.

Spend money on ammo and range time, not cases!

Bought a few of these at Harbor Freight for $130

Attachments

• C67B3388-2FCB-4D5A-A9B8-E0450BA05FD7.jpeg
    C67B3388-2FCB-4D5A-A9B8-E0450BA05FD7.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 12
Those HF cases are a good deal, but like I said they get heavy, and the air glide is cheaper.
More often than not my rifle goes in an Soft case because of the weight. It doesn’t help when she weighs 21# 😂 Hard case doesn’t come out often.

That sucks as the first impression is very important. I was considering these guys for my rifle as well. Definitely let us know how it shoots!
so, it shoots amazing. thanks to the weight and the brake there is almost no recoil to talk about, it is really, well, not like shooting a .22lr, but damn close. there is no muzzle jump to talk about, i fire formed 100 cases - taking my time and trying not to heat up barrel above 50 deg C. one case had neck rapture, all the rest came up great.
so, so far it`s very nice. i was shooting 6BR brass in 30gr varget at .030" jammed into lands - and even with that after proper adjustment i was hitting same bullet holes repeatedly. hope proper loads will do great as well, going to test it all in 0.005" offsets from lands to 0.040" from lands.

the magazine they supplied with the gun sucks. it has a 3d printed follower, and it is not pushing rounds up reliably. i will need to sort this up somehow.

so, it shoots amazing. thanks to the weight and the brake there is almost no recoil to talk about, it is really, well, not like shooting a .22lr, but damn close. there is no muzzle jump to talk about, i fire formed 100 cases - taking my time and trying not to heat up barrel above 50 deg C. one case had neck rapture, all the rest came up great.
so, so far it`s very nice. i was shooting 6BR brass in 30gr varget at .030" jammed into lands - and even with that after proper adjustment i was hitting same bullet holes repeatedly. hope proper loads will do great as well, going to test it all in 0.005" offsets from lands to 0.040" from lands.

the magazine they supplied with the gun sucks. it has a 3d printed follower, and it is not pushing rounds up reliably. i will need to sort this up somehow.
Glad it’s shooting well off the bat. Pretty common splitting necks while forming that’s why a lot of guys will run a false shoulder as well as jamming the bullet or just run Dasher brass. There is a lot of forming going on and most likely it’ll take at least one more to form to chamber.

I’d highly recommend you take the FCG and ejector out and chamber some fired cases. If bolt falls closed on itself do not bump shoulders yet, run em again. Once you find slight resistance now you know brass has been totally formed and can bump.

Most top guys are running the dasher 2800-2850, yes you can run it much faster but it’s not gonna shoot better. Most it’s gonna do is trash your brass and barrel.

What brand mag is it? The biggest gripe with the BR cases is sometimes getting them to feed can take some tinkering. There are multiple companies which supply br spacer kits for the aics mags seems Primal Rights is the most popular. MDT has also release a br specific mag that is getting good reviews.

Glad it’s shooting well off the bat. Pretty common splitting necks while forming that’s why a lot of guys will run a false shoulder as well as jamming the bullet or just run Dasher brass. There is a lot of forming going on and most likely it’ll take at least one more to form to chamber.

I’d highly recommend you take the FCG and ejector out and chamber some fired cases. If bolt falls closed on itself do not bump shoulders yet, run em again. Once you find slight resistance now you know brass has been totally formed and can bump.

Most top guys are running the dasher 2800-2850, yes you can run it much faster but it’s not gonna shoot better. Most it’s gonna do is trash your brass and barrel.

What brand mag is it? The biggest gripe with the BR cases is sometimes getting them to feed can take some tinkering. There are multiple companies which supply br spacer kits for the aics mags seems Primal Rights is the most popular. MDT has also release a br specific mag that is getting good reviews.
i ordered an mdt one, will see when it comes. one they shipped the gun with is a metal accurate-mag with .308 stamped on it. they inserted a BR/dasher usual kit with a 3d printed follower, meh.
brass seems like got formed pretty well - shoulders look good, but i will check it again.

i formed it, like i said, with a 30gr varget, and will measure next time what speed will it give me, as i had multiple rounds go through same hole at 100 - so it was a good sign, i think.

i also going to try 32gr and 32.5gr. i would agree 100% the 2850fps seems like a reasonable goal, getting to 2975 is probably not going to alter anything much enough to justify the increased barrel wear.

i was thinking to setup the chrono today, but it was so damn hot and i was tired after work party, so just finished zeroing scope and shooting it, and went home.

Report back on which mag works out the best. I picked up a used 6BR barreled action and I need to find mags

I’ve got buddies with both an accurate/primal rights kits and another with MDT and both work good. Sometimes feed lips need to be tuned to action doesn’t matter witch mags. If your action is AW cut they are pretty sweet cause they are half the height of an aics mag and way easier to load.

i ordered an mdt one, will see when it comes. one they shipped the gun with is a metal accurate-mag with .308 stamped on it. they inserted a BR/dasher usual kit with a 3d printed follower, meh.
brass seems like got formed pretty well - shoulders look good, but i will check it again.

i formed it, like i said, with a 30gr varget, and will measure next time what speed will it give me, as i had multiple rounds go through same hole at 100 - so it was a good sign, i think.

i also going to try 32gr and 32.5gr. i would agree 100% the 2850fps seems like a reasonable goal, getting to 2975 is probably not going to alter anything much enough to justify the increased barrel wear.

i was thinking to setup the chrono today, but it was so damn hot and i was tired after work party, so just finished zeroing scope and shooting it, and went home.
I wonder if MPA makes their own br kit cause most of seen aren’t 3d printed but are machined polymer.

The only reliable way to check to make sure your formed is to disassemble bolt. Many (including myself for a long time) will take a once fired piece measure than bump .002 right, well even factory chambered brass isn’t usually formed to your chamber in one firing so therefore it’s very easy to start bumping WAY too much overworking your brass both sizing and firing. Now take a wildcat in which your changing shoulder angle and location along with brass spring back you can kinda see where I’m going. It only takes a few minutes to remove ejector and FC to check.

Back
Top Bottom