What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I’m thinking of putting together a 6mm Gay Tiger AR10 upper build. What say the crowd?

Purpose? Why not. Casual PRS and because I like gas guns

- 24” 6GT 1:7 twist rifle+2 Bull barrel from x-caliber
- Adjustable gas block because who the f*** knows how big of a gas port 6GT needs
- Mega Maten MML 16” upper (true free float barrel)
- JP full mass BCG

IMG_9802.jpeg
IMG_9803.jpeg

I’m thinking of putting together a 6mm Gay Tiger AR10 upper build. What say the crowd?

- Adjustable gas block because who the f*** knows how big of a gas port 6GT needs
- JP full mass BCG

View attachment 861350
View attachment 861351

Gay Tigers need lovins too!!!

- JP full mass BCG

View attachment 861350
View attachment 861351
Just go 6 creed. It will feed better since it won’t move in the mags.

I’d go any creedmoor just for the straight mag aesthetic, banana mags are weird. What mags will you use for the GT?

I was going to use 10rnd SR25 PMAGs. I’ve seen a few others seemingly shoot 6GT out of AR10s reliably. I figured I might run into feeding issues with my 20rd KAC mags, but the 10 rounders should be fine.

I was going to use 10rnd SR25 PMAGs. I’ve seen a few others seemingly shoot 6GT out of AR10s reliably. I figured I might run into feeding issues with my 20rd KAC mags, but the 10 rounders should be fine.
Awesome, I bet you can make it work. Can’t wait to see this

That would probably be the smart thing. The extra efficiency of the GT is intriguing though. I don’t need to break 3k fps.
Why not 6.5 Weatherby? 🔥

Actually, I would love to see a ballistic chart of each. Couldn't find a good one for 6 GT.

PS ... every time I read "GT" I think "Golden Tiger".

I’ve bolded the key part there that makes your HK better.
It’s the ammo that’s the heavy part. It’s like crew fire now that I’m older and im not even old.

I think it has 1000 yard sites on it or some shit like that either way from that tripod… i’d say it’s a long range weapon, accuracy by dispersement

I just didn’t get into long range shooting because I’m not going to the range so there’s no way you’re gonna shoot that far out here in MA.

I get an employee discount on some really good guns, but the glass cost more than the rifle itself

Why not 6.5 Weatherby? 🔥

Actually, I would love to see a ballistic chart of each. Couldn't find a good one for 6 GT.

PS ... every time I read "GT" I think "Golden Tiger".

Isn’t the 6.5 Weatherby a long action?

It seems like at 1k, 140gr ELD 6.5 CM is similar in wind holds to 115gr 6GT for 24” barrels. But less recoil. Similar prices for ammunition though and slightly less barrel life. More barrel life than a 6CM though. I suppose you can load 6CM light with slower powders to get that barrel life back, but that seems like more trial and error.

Maybe I’ll do some plots against a 1k yard target for a few different cartridges/bullets to see.

It seems like at 1k, 140gr ELD 6.5 CM is similar in wind holds to 115gr 6GT for 24” barrels. But less recoil. Similar prices for ammunition though and slightly less barrel life. More barrel life than a 6CM though. I suppose you can load 6CM light with slower powders to get that barrel life back, but that seems like more trial and error.

Maybe I’ll do some plots against a 1k yard target for a few different cartridges/bullets to see.
Not sure. I believe it is long.

I just liked how flat it shoots. But I don't know how it compares to 6GT.

At least barrel swaps are easy on ARs!

I just didn’t get into long range shooting because I’m not going to the range so there’s no way you’re gonna shoot that far out here in MA.

I get an employee discount on some really good guns, but the glass cost more than the rifle itself

Unless you become a member at Granby. Open 1000 yard range is available. I've hit a 12" metal plate at 1000 yards using 6.5CM there. Definitely doable.

That would probably be the smart thing. The extra efficiency of the GT is intriguing though. I don’t need to break 3k fps.
the GT only really shines in a bolt gun because the bolt reciprocating in the ar is going to shuffle the rounds and do weird shit for feeding. You will see magazines with spacers for the bolt guns.

the GT only really shines in a bolt gun because the bolt reciprocating in the ar is going to shuffle the rounds and do weird shit for feeding. You will see magazines with spacers for the bolt guns.

I don’t know, GAP and some folks on snipershide seem to not have issues. It seems like worst case I might have to use metal 10 rounders and open up the front of the feed lips slightly.

Still rocking a 308win. I figure until I burn out the two barrels that I have enough to develop my fundamental skills it’s not worth me investing in another caliber to go beyond the 308’s capabilities. least not while I live in NE. once I do that I will swap in a 6.5cm barrel and maybe get a 300 or 338 platform and hopefully be living out west with enough range to actually use them.

Platform is a AI AE mkIII with a S&B PMII.
Plus, 308 is pretty easy to find, especially if TSHTF.

Then why post in this thread
I don’t understand what you’re getting at. I don’t think they had 1000 yard range there when I was a member, do they now?

Edit .. is that the one with dirt berms every so often? If they do, I’d be inclined to join again.

Back
Top Bottom