What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I'm sure this reflects my ignorance. I assumed the reason we care about running ammo through a chrono was to be able to modify handloads to suit our needs.

If you can't change the ammo, I'd assumed it would be cheaper/easier/faster to get a handful of different commercial cartridges, test them against your firearm, then buy a case of the lot number that behaves best. With that, you'd record dope to work out your bring-ups at various distances. Velocity seems like an interesting number that's less important than downrange performance - with the exception that we can use it to calculate retained energy for hunting purposes...

I'm always happy to learn where I'm wrong.
There are a few possible reasons

- Provides you accurate data to estimate drops before you even get to a range for collecting DOPE at distance

- You can gather velocity data at different ambient temps to help tune your ballistic calculator.

- If you only use DOPE from like 200 yards and in, then you’re not going to be able to true up velocity very precisely for calculations

- Getting a sense of the ES and ED of your ammo will help you estimate what kind of a vertical spread you might have at range. This means you’re able to know if your shot was within the expected range of elevation error of your ammo, or if it could have been caused by an incorrect ranging or perhaps thermal up-draft or wind going up a slope. If you don’t know your ES/SD, then you’re just guessing on what caused a missed shot because of elevation.

- knowing velocities of your setups before you buy an optic can help inform what reticle you are looking for if you want a BDC reticle (not applicable if doing a simple MOA or Mil reticle)

I'm sure this reflects my ignorance. I assumed the reason we care about running ammo through a chrono was to be able to modify handloads to suit our needs.

If you can't change the ammo, I'd assumed it would be cheaper/easier/faster to get a handful of different commercial cartridges, test them against your firearm, then buy a case of the lot number that behaves best. With that, you'd record dope to work out your bring-ups at various distances. Velocity seems like an interesting number that's less important than downrange performance - with the exception that we can use it to calculate retained energy for hunting purposes...

I'm always happy to learn where I'm wrong.
Also, I forgot to mention that velocity over the course of a barrel’s life will change slightly. So you’ll be able to keep an eye on velocity changes for that in addition to velocity changes from lot to lot.

I think we got a little in the weeds- if your real goal is to plink at a private range with factory ammo, any chrono is unnecessary.

I think we got a little in the weeds- if your real goal is to plink at a private range with factory ammo, any chrono is unnecessary.
Eh, is this private plinking still at “long range”? Even if it’s not competitive, a chrono is helpful for shooting at longer ranges, which is the topic of this thread.

Eh, is this private plinking still at “long range”? Even if it’s not competitive, a chrono is helpful for shooting at longer ranges, which is the topic of this thread.
Right but if you’ve got lots of space just guess at the velocity and walk yourself in. Same result for a lot less money.

sniperhide had quite a brutal thread about it a while ago...
Typical hide pig-pile of group think by people who haven’t even handled the rifle, and, of course, personal insults from DeathBeforeDismount.

Don’t like the weight, having to buy two barrels, or the chambering offerings? Not for them and I get that. But it doesn’t make it a bad rifle.

It took 104 posts before someone chimed in with their review of actually using one.

The weight is definitely a turn off for me though, considering the barrel change and folding stock would be what I’d want in a pack gun, where weight is a no-no.

That SH thread is a hot pile of garbage from a bunch of imbeciles who not only never handled the rifle but weren't in the market for it anyway. Its like trolls feeding trolls in an elephant walk.

IMG_7045.jpg
As for the rifle, weight wasn't an issue (its not a hunting rifle to me), my AR10 is .308 with a second matching 6.5C upper so the Siete made perfect sense. I compared it to similar rifles like the DD Delta 5 and liked what I saw.

Siete Pro's:
As for accuracy, it shoots 1/3 MOA or better and has minimal POI shift changing bbl's.
The bolt is smooth, the tolerances are tight af, the folding mechanism is one of the best I've seen, and the barrel change is easily accomplished in under 2 minutes with the tools provided.

Siete Con's:
I wish it had a full Arca rail on the bottom but that's easily fixed. I also swapped Mark's stock for the PRS lite for better ergos. I use the Luth-AR on my AR's but wanted something simpler here.
I am picky with triggers and this is a basic 2# Timney, I'd like to swap it out for something closer to 1/2#.

The biggest con is really Mark LaRue himself. He’s a flaming a**h***, which makes it difficult to buy his products similar to but different than KB & Q. So I guess that’s a decision you have to make: Buy products in spite of the owner and his “customer service”.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 12_22_18.004424.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 12_20_14.938800.jpg

Last edited:

That's absurd, doesn't solve the problem, and ignores the fact that I don't care about the cost. I'm looking for incremental improvement and refinement to hit a small target at long range. You're also assuming that I have a spotter to walk it in, which I don't.

Please solve the problem presented rather than change the parameters because you don't like the problem. Just bc its not an "competition" doesn't detract from the problem statement. At all. In fact, competition was not mentioned at any stage of the conversation or problem statement.

FWIW, it sounds like the LabRadar will accommodate my needs once I figure out how to get it up on the shooting platform and "mounted". The MS seems like a lighter option so I'm still a bit undecided.

Last edited:
You must have missed my several other comments where I address your chronograph question.

I apologize for offering an alternative solution you don’t like.

Good luck.

That's absurd, doesn't solve the problem, and ignores the fact that I don't care about the cost. I'm looking for incremental improvement and refinement to hit a small target at long range. You're also assuming that I have a spotter to walk it in, which I don't.

Please solve the problem presented rather than change the parameters because you don't like the problem. Just bc its not an "competition" doesn't detract from the problem statement. At all. In fact, competition was not mentioned at any stage of the conversation or problem statement.

FWIW, it sounds like the LabRadar will accommodate my needs once I figure out how to get it up on the shooting platform and "mounted". The MS seems like a lighter option so I'm still a bit undecided.
If money is no object look at the Andiscan. Miniature LR that you can mount to any scope, pic rail, or arca rail.

FWIW, it sounds like the LabRadar will accommodate my needs once I figure out how to get it up on the shooting platform and "mounted". The MS seems like a lighter option so I'm still a bit undundecided

The solutions is simple:

If stationary, LR will do as long as you also buy the trigger.

If you want to move around, MS will do.

Additional advantage of LR, that you might or might not care about, is that it can be used with any modern gun or musket. Where the MS starts running into trouble, but I believe there are some after market solutions for this, not cheap.

If stationary, any other chronograph will also do as long as you trust what it displays. The downside is possible missed shots. If you are shooting 100 rounds and are not developing a load, this might be fine. If you are developing a load, this can s*ck big time.

As far as the platform, can you post a pic?

LR can be mounted on any tripod, you could probably even mount it on a Creedmoor tripod stand if you move the blue mounting piece high enough.

And, if your rifle is sticking out far enough and has a rail, can probably mount it upside down from your rail. Please post a pic if you ever do this.

Last edited:
The solutions is simple:

If stationary, LR will do as long as you also buy the trigger.

If you want to move around, MS will do.

Additional advantage of LR, that you might or might not care about, is that it can be used with any modern gun or musket. Where the MS starts running into trouble, but I believe there are some after market solutions for this, not cheap.

If stationary, any other chronograph will also do as long as you trust what it displays. The downside is possible missed shots. If you are shooting 100 rounds and are not developing a load, this might be fine. If you are developing a load, this can s*ck big time.

As far as the platform, can you post a pic?

LR can be mounted on any tripod, you could probably even mount it on a Creedmoor tripod stand if you move the blue mounting piece high enough.

And, if your rifle is sticking out far enough and has a rail, can probably mount it upside down from your rail. Please post a pic if you ever do this.

Don’t laugh. It’s under the Spanish Moss…

IMG_7680.jpeg

Primary reason I don’t want to use a conventional chrono is that setting it up 5-10’ in front of firing pos would be … challenging. And severely limit my POA.

Reason the MS is attractive is weight bc getting up there is a chore and lugging a couple rifles, ammo, spotting scope, etc takes a minute.

Both the LR & MS (& Andi) would allow me to setup behind the overhang, out of the sun and such.

Last edited:
Don’t laugh. It’s under the Spanish Moss…

View attachment 758513

Primary reason I don’t want to use a conventional chrono is that setting it up 5-10’ in front of firing pos would be … challenging. And severely limit my POA.

Reason the MS is attractive is weight bc getting up there is a chore and lugging a couple rifles, ammo, spotting scope, etc takes a minute.

Both the LR & MS (& Andi) would allow me to setup behind the overhang, out of the sun and such.
Nice spot

Truly far away from any and everything. Have to take a radio in case they call the range cold, usually when they go paint the 400y target which isn’t often.
It’s a good place to spend a Saturday trying to hit an appetizer plate at 860-870 yards while smoking a cigar.

In October we host Supressorfest for NFA Review.

Truly far away from any and everything. Have to take a radio in case they call the range cold, usually when they go paint the 400y target which isn’t often.
It’s a good place to spend a Saturday trying to hit an appetizer plate at 860-870 yards while smoking a cigar.

In October we host Supressorfest for NFA Review.
1685585776169.png

I’ve been experimenting with spotting setups and this is the current favorite. I’m not sure what else I can do short of a significant spotting scope upgrade and using my other tripod. This setup does seem sensitive to high winds.
This is a 20-60x spotter with DSLR attached, run wirelessly to my phone for control, recording, and video.

IMG_8590.jpeg

Video is tough to share, see if this works. Spotter @60X, shooting at the torso.
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zh-6qouWilMJux0DByewdsm6Z8OPCWcR/view?usp=sharing
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CanE03BHjCw8yVtFRaNMCLA2igsGWPk/view?usp=sharing

(rifle has a Hyperion on it so the shot isn't very loud but you should see the impact from me holding up & right 1 MIL trying to compensate for the wind, which was already baked into the ballistic calc and why I missed).

Has anyone tried the Tactacam that uses your scope? Looks like $450 ish?

I’ve been experimenting with spotting setups and this is the current favorite. I’m not sure what else I can do short of a significant spotting scope upgrade and using my other tripod. This setup does seem sensitive to high winds.
This is a 20-60x spotter with DSLR attached, run wirelessly to my phone for control, recording, and video.

View attachment 767850

Video is tough to share, see if this works. Spotter @60X, shooting at the torso.
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zh-6qouWilMJux0DByewdsm6Z8OPCWcR/view?usp=sharing
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CanE03BHjCw8yVtFRaNMCLA2igsGWPk/view?usp=sharing

(rifle has a Hyperion on it so the shot isn't very loud but you should see the impact from me holding up & right 1 MIL trying to compensate for the wind, which was already baked into the ballistic calc and why I missed).

Has anyone tried the Tactacam that uses your scope? Looks like $450 ish?
I bought the tactacam spotter LR.

Returned that piece of sh*t the day after.

For wind, you might want to try one of these Creedmoor stands. I love mine, I am never going back to a tripod.

POLECAT1STNDV2-1.jpg

I bought the tactacam spotter LR.

Returned that piece of sh*t the day after.

For wind, you might want to try one of these Creedmoor stands. I love mine, I am never going back to a tripod.

View attachment 768318

I need it higher than that to clear the cows…
Also, the ground is too uneven for something like that. I think those work great on concrete but I’ve got grass & cow patties for a surface.

I need it higher than that to clear the cows…
You can get them way higher. That is just a generic pic I found. It comes with extensions that screw, so you can have it short and low to the ground or like 5-6' high.

I have never used them past seating height.

You can get them way higher. That is just a generic pic I found. It comes with extensions that screw, so you can have it short and low to the ground or like 5-6' high.

I have never used them past seating height.

How’s it do on uneven ground tho?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom