What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

What are you using for switch barrel? I thought the 112 still used a barrel nut for timing? Did you install a West Texas Ordnance Switchlug, or send the receiver into a barrel maker for shouldered prefits? Or do you time the barrel for headspace each time you switch?
I started out retiming the headspace with the barrel nut each time, and then bought more used, beat up lefty Savages - just kind of grew from one rifle and three barrels to 4 finished rifles, an unfinished 8mm Mauser 110 and a 111 30-06 that hasn't been repurposed yet in no time at all. I do appreciate never having to take a rifle to a gunsmith, although there is that tendency to build more rifles because of spare parts lying around looking unloved.

They're easy enough to work on - barrel swap is maybe an hour, a good chunk of which is dealing with scope mounts.

Savage 12 build

Austrian company with a 2 year warranty on electronics and won’t say where the optic is built?

It might be nice glad but Pass. Plenty of options in that category.

Austrian company with a 2 year warranty on electronics and won’t say where the optic is built?

It might be nice glad but Pass. Plenty of options in that category.
But they don't compromise.

I can't find where the glass is manufactured. But looks like everything else is manufactured in Austria.

My guess, since they are not saying where the glass comes from, and I dont want to assume China, it most likely comes from MEOPTA, which, I believe, manufactures for a few other scope manufacturers. If that is the case, the glass is excellent.

Or... it is Chinese and they are fooling everyone.

Last edited:

I can't find where the glass is manufactured. But looks like everything else is manufactured in Austria.

My guess, since they are not saying where the glass comes from, and I dont want to assume China, it most likely comes from MEOPTA, which, I believe, manufactures for a few other scope manufacturers. If that is the case, the glass is excellent.

Just in regards to glass, I prefer my zco’s to my TT, if that means anything.

If you want something a bit cheaper that can compare I’ve been behind the new Gen 3 razors lately and I swear they’re right up there with the high ends for a fraction the cost. Unbelievable stuff.

It’s certainly not for the budget minded

Who said anything about budget? lmao, that's a weak ass flex but welcome to NES. There are 4-5 companies I would buy from first in the $3-6k range. All with longer pedigrees, better warranties, & similar glass.

Just in regards to glass, I prefer my zco’s to my TT, if that means anything.

If you want something a bit cheaper that can compare I’ve been behind the new Gen 3 razors lately and I swear they’re right up there with the high ends for a fraction the cost. Unbelievable stuff.

I had written ZCO off before because of how heavy the 4-20 was. Then, because of this thread I checked their website again. “Woah” I thought, “they have a 1.7-12 ‘hunting’ scope!”

My bubble burst when I found out it’s still 30 ounces.

$4K for a scope? C'mon. I'm sure it's very nice, but $4000? I don't think so. I choke at the price of Nightforce and March scopes, and they are half that. I've never looked through one, but how in hell do you justify that price?
That being said, there is always a market for ultra-high-end shooting accessories.

$4K for a scope? C'mon. I'm sure it's very nice, but $4000? I don't think so. I choke at the price of Nightforce and March scopes, and they are half that. I've never looked through one, but how in hell do you justify that price?
That being said, there is always a market for ultra-high-end shooting accessories.
You’re absolutely right. The trick is to never pay full price 😉

The market is nuts right now. So many good options out there, not like it used to be.

I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the shooter. I know for a fact that I'm just not good enough to take advantage of a $4K scope, just like I can't take advantage of of $3K race pistole. But there are certainly folks out there that are shooting at a level that those high end tools are worth it. Then there is the old adage that you should spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle. It's pretty easy to spend $4K on a high end custom built rifle.

Maybe, but with S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski, & NF already out there? Why bother guessing?

The high end scope market is crowded af

I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the shooter. I know for a fact that I'm just not good enough to take advantage of a $4K scope, just like I can't take advantage of of $3K race pistole. But there are certainly folks out there that are shooting at a level that those high end tools are worth it. Then there is the old adage that you should spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle. It's pretty easy to spend $4K on a high end custom built rifle.
The old saying about spending as much on the scope as you do the rifle is from 30-40 years ago when there was a lot of junk glass out there and you HAD to spend good money to get a good scope.
These days, there are great options with clear glass and perfect tracking that won't break the bank.
I think a lot of shooters see the top F-class and PRS guys using the top-end scopes and think they need to buy one if they want to be competitive. What they don't know is that most of those top guys are getting their scopes given to them in the form of sponsorship.
This top guys would win regardless, whether they're using a Nightforce, or a Bushnell.

Back
Top Bottom