What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

normally yes, but weapon mounted LRFs go hand in hand with hunting or tactical style matches, where weight and size are concerns.
Meh, a weapon mounted laser range finder/ballistic computer is for shooting at distance, whatever the “application”. No one is shooting 800+ yards standing unsupported with one of these mounted. It’s supported or prone. The only concern with weight is carrying and that’s what a sling is for.

I humped a 75lb ruck, a TOW guindance system and an M249 through the desert and mountains at NTC. No hunter or tactical match participant has to deal with that BS and a SAW is a lot heavier than most long range platforms whether they have a ballistic computer or not.

normally yes, but weapon mounted LRFs go hand in hand with hunting or tactical style matches, where weight and size are concerns.
That makes sense. I’d love to try one of these types of matches. I’m not great at shooting and don’t have the equipment but that sounds like a ton of fun.

More of a question for the MA gun law forum, but would a non MA resident need to only bring MA compliant firearms to a competition in MA?
IANAL but I believe they would be subject to MA laws thus subject to same rules we are. I know there are protections under FOPA for interstate travel when passing through a state (but unsure if 4420 4607 4090 4135 impacts this in anyway at this point though)

Meh, a weapon mounted laser range finder/ballistic computer is for shooting at distance, whatever the “application”. No one is shooting 800+ yards standing unsupported with one of these mounted. It’s supported or prone. The only concern with weight is carrying and that’s what a sling is for.

I humped a 75lb ruck, a TOW guindance system and an M249 through the desert and mountains at NTC. No hunter or tactical match participant has to deal with that BS and a SAW is a lot heavier than most long range platforms whether they have a ballistic computer or not.
Damn, I thought the MOPMS was heavy… that sounds f***ing awful.

New chrono on the market from Garmin. Garmin Xero C1 Pro. Very small and can be used for bows, air guns, pistols and rifles. I held off switching from a magneto speed to a Labradar, but this might do it for me. Seems to be so much easier setup than the magneto speed, and won’t take up a lot of space like dragging a Labradar to the range.

And you can just leave it on the table, or places like Area 419 are already making mounts to attach it to your rifle for live data or DOPE logging during matches.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyk_TS_O4wC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CylQkNlN731/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

New chrono on the market from Garmin. Garmin Xero C1 Pro. Very small and can be used for bows, air guns, pistols and rifles. I held off switching from a magneto speed to a Labradar, but this might do it for me. Seems to be so much easier setup than the magneto speed, and won’t take up a lot of space like dragging a Labradar to the range.

And you can just leave it on the table, or places like Area 419 are already making mounts to attach it to your rifle for live data or DOPE logging during matches.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CylQkNlN731/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

$600 MSRP. Doable.

I'm considering attending that Granby PRS shoot. Haven't shot my .308 at 1000 yards so that would be interesting. Guess I better lock in my dope now. 300-400 is all I've been able to do around here.

Is there a registration link? Do you need to be a member to attend the PRS shoot? Do you need to be qualified on their long range rifle range? I went through this with my current range and it will require some planning given Granby is 2+ hours away from me.

Last edited:

This is really cool. We needed more competition in that space and around that price range.

I hope this means we will see more innovation from Lab Radar and other companies.

I love the Labradar, but you are right, it is too big. This, I could throw in my rifle case.

Last edited:
This is really cool. We needed more competition in that space and around that price range.

I hope this means we will see more innovation from Lab Radar and other companies.

I love the Lab Radar, but you are right, it is too big. This, I could throw in my rifle case.

Hell, you can throw it in your pocket. I appreciate Lab Radar bringing what they did to the community, but yeah they have not innovated. They’ve been out for what, 8 years or something? Maybe longer? No changes.

Hell, you can throw it in your pocket. I appreciate Lab Radar bringing what they did to the community, but yeah they have not innovated. They’ve been out for what, 8 years or something? Maybe longer? No changes.
They couldn't even add a round sight to it. LOL.

Those are the things that bother me and how eventually you lose the market. They almost had a monopoly, what they should have done is continue innovating to make it harder and more expensive for someone else to get in the game. For a while they have been lucky because other "worthy" competitors were either too expensive or required a lot of after market crap to be used. But they kept the same product. It is a great product, but it is big.

They couldn't even add a round sight to it. LOL.

Those are the things that bother me and how eventually you lose the market. They almost had a monopoly, what they should have done is continue innovating to make it harder and more expensive for someone else to get in the game. But they kept the same product. It is a great product, but it is big.
Story as old as time, company has the market but stops inovating and ands up crashing.

Garmin has been killing it in my opinion with how theyve adapted to the fitness industry too

i had that $600 set aside for g20, but, heck with it. plus i still don`t know what i want in 10mm - but this will be a huge improvement over setting up my old crono on a tripod over snow.
plus on bright winter sunny days it is a huge pain when it decides not to see the bullet anymore. i`ve had enough of it.
Yeah, screw those tripod chronographs. Why I moved to Labradar. Too much wasted ammo with bad readings.

I'm considering attending that Granby PRS shoot. Haven't shot my .308 at 1000 yards so that would be interesting. Guess I better lock in my dope now. 300-400 is all I've been able to do around here.

Is there a registration link? Do you need to be a member to attend the PRS shoot? Do you need to be qualified on their long range rifle range? I went through this with my current range and it will require some planning given Granby is 2+ hours away from me.

Bueller? Bueller? ;)

Back
Top Bottom