WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

This thread is a dumpster fire, I love it.
Carry on.
[popcorn][popcorn][popcorn][popcorn]
I can't lie, this post is everything I meant it to be from the first moment it began.
NES never fails to be the most easily manipulated and completely predictable group of lab rats I have ever toyed with.

I can understand fencer's affinity for the 1911 in general and his Colt Competition Pistol in particular. I have one.

In a similar vein, I feel the same way about my car --a 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook with a Gyro-Matic transmission.

It isn't as sprightly as the machines we have today, but it has never failed me.

Sure, it helps to carry an extra set of contact points and a tach/dwell meter, not to mention a timing light, but the Meadowbrook has a distinct presence on the road. The 230ci flathead six is thrifty yet eager enough, and I love the way the Kelly-Springfield bias-ply tires howl when taking a curvy off-ramp at speed! It's almost as cool as the ram ornament on the hood...

View attachment 592284
Lemme get this straight.... You have a Dodge Megalodon and you are shitting on the 1911?

Don't laugh, kid. The 1950s Dodge Meadowbrook models could be had with a hemi.

It's a good car, but the Gyro-Matic semi-auto transmission takes some getting used to.

I'm not defecating on the 1911, just telling the truth.

If the 1911 fanbois out there can't embrace diversity, that's on them.

Glad this thread is inspiring a buying spree!

I'm gonna dump my NIB Colt Competition Pistol. It's an early model, series 80.

Never fired it, but I know it sucks.

Just want my money back.

I'll post it later tonight.

No joke.

All semi-auto pistols are a derivative of the 1911, are they not? Glock changed the firing mechanism, Sig put the firing control into a drop in package, point being in terms of form AND function, they all started from the 1911 platform. Someone school me if I’m wrong or missing something. I’ve put thousands of rounds through 1911s and Glocks, both are reliable so much so it’s probably not statistically different. Just MHO. As Rodney King said, “can’t we all just get along?” and he also said, though not as well known, “plastic guns are for those who suffer from gender dysphoria” no really, he said that.

All semi-auto pistols are a derivative of the 1911, are they not? Glock changed the firing mechanism, Sig put the firing control into a drop in package, point being in terms of form AND function, they all started from the 1911 platform. Someone school me if I’m wrong or missing something. I’ve put thousands of rounds through 1911s and Glocks, both are reliable so much so it’s probably not statistically different. Just MHO. As Rodney King said, “can’t we all just get along?” and he also said, though not as well known, “plastic guns are for those who suffer from gender dysphoria” no really, he said that.

"All semi-auto pistols are a derivative of the 1911, are they not?"

I'll let the NES hyenas school you.

I wouldn’t say that. A lot of modern pistols differ radically from the 1911, and are still successful. If you’re talking about the short-recoil principle, you might have a point… except that the Maxim gun already used it.

The swinging link is, as a lot of posters have already suggested, something of a dead end in pistol development.

Nobody is immune..

Dead end? Yet here we are 100 years later with them still in use…😁. what are all the major race gunners using…1911 design still, no?
It’s fine. We disagree.

Modern pistols descend from many different ancestors along different evolutionary branches of engineering and technology.

I just deny that every pistol is a derivative of the 1911. And I say that as someone who loves 1911s.

Personally, I love my 1991 Colt 1911 Govt. It's had some work done by an unknown gunsmith along it's way to me and its never failed to feed, eject or malf in any manner. It's THE ONE I WILL NEVER SELL. It's the most accurate handgun I've ever had, The only things I ever did to it was have it creakoted matt black and had a set of fixed white dot sights installed. For me, It's perfect.

Anyone with a Colt New Agent for sale hit me up
aaaand...... . you pick........ that.

[laugh]

At least, consider an officers mod....

All semi-auto pistols are a derivative of the 1911, are they not? Glock changed the firing mechanism, Sig put the firing control into a drop in package, point being in terms of form AND function, they all started from the 1911 platform.
No, not exactly.

While a lot of guns are browning type locked breech action, most of them don't have a swinging link, and most of them actually have full ramps on the barrel vs a frame based ramp. Not to mention most of them all seem to have slightly different fire control schemes.

[laugh]

Even diehard 1911 proponents are wary of models with a three-inch barrel.

Of the 10 or so 1911s I've owned over the past 47 years, my 3.5" Detonics was the absolute worst.

If you're going that small (in size and capacity), just carry a revolver. The peace of mind is worth it.

But if you don't need to trust your life to a shorty 1911 and the New Agent simply rounds out your 1911 collection, that's another thing altogether.

Even diehard 1911 proponents are wary of models with a three-inch barrel.

Of the 10 or so 1911s I've owned over the past 47 years, my 3.5" Detonics was the absolute worst.

If you're going that small (in size and capacity), just carry a revolver. The peace of mind is worth it.

But if you don't need to trust your life to a shorty 1911 and the New Agent simply rounds out your 1911 collection, that's another thing altogether.

The 1911 I still own that was actually made by Colt is an Officers Model. It's never given me a hint of trouble as long as I do my part.

So my anecdote beats your anecdote.[rofl]

Naw, I'm kidding. I know a lot of folks have problems with them, but then plenty of folks have problems with full-size 1911s too. That whole limp-wrist thing.

The fact that you should almost always upgrade to challis grip screws and bushings. I just noticed my E-series grip is sliding and the screws are snug.

Getting back to the spirit of this 1911 hate thread...

Forgive me if it's in a previous post, but an especially hateworthy item of old slabsides is the odious and costly break-in period requiring hundreds of rounds. [laugh]

It won't be long before the 1911 apologists chime in with something like "Mine has run perfectly right out of the box!" or "It's a machine. Machines need blah blah blah..."

The 1911 "break-in period" is a myth, of course. The break-in canard simply papers over the 1911's inherent reliability issues.

I suspect many disillusioned 1911 victims sell/trade their pistols well before enduring a 500-round "break-in period," or just give up and leave it in the safe.

Sure looks cool, though.

So you hate the 1911, but have owned 10 or so?

Real fast learner, eh?

I believe in second chances.

Even tried some 45ACP variants, e.g., the Star PD and S&W 645. They sucked too.

Best 1911 I ever owned was an early Kimber Classic. Clackamas. Very low serial number. No malfunctions ever -- it must have been "broken in" [smile] -- and highly accurate.

But as a CCW choice...c'mon man.

Next to the dreadful Detonics, the second worst 1911 I had was a brand new 1911 Colt Government Model 45 in nickel. Beautiful gun that was utterly unreliable right out of the gate. Had a hammer-follow problem on day one. That mid-1970s Colt quality was really something else (sarc.) as was their customer service (more sarc.). Got sick of the alleged factory fixes from Colt and traded it for a used Combat Commander. At least that gun worked most of the time.

[laugh]

No, not exactly.

While a lot of guns are browning type locked breech action, most of them don't have a swinging link, and most of them actually have full ramps on the barrel vs a frame based ramp. Not to mention most of them all seem to have slightly different fire control schemes.
I already have an Officer’s model. A S&W 1911 Pro Series.

But as a CCW choice...c'mon man.
Nah, I carry a 365 everyday.
But on the rare occasion I really feel the need to be "well armed" its a 1911 with a whole bunch o 45 acp hollow points. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm also reasonably certain it makes your dick bigger too.
I wish I lived in a state that you could just leave a rifle in your truck. 44 revolver and a 44 lever gun would always be handy.

Back
Top Bottom