What do after shooting someone in selfdefense.

Good info, maybe less than stellar presentation.

Here's the gold standard video. From a lawyer and a cop. Every person should watch this.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure you A) call the police. B) hang up and immediately call a lawyer. C) shut your yap until your lawyer shows up.

Don't ever call the police yourself. You have someone else call the police. You are in shock and need to see a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ever call the police yourself. You have someone else call the police. You are in shock and need to see a doctor.
Wrong answer, but thanks for playing.

You want to get in front of it by being the complaintant, not the subject of a complaint filed by someone else. Remember, you should be on the record as someone "reporting the incident", not someone "caught as a result of someone else calling it in".

I am also not away of any legal theory under which post-incident shock establishes a lack of guilt.

Wrong answer, but thanks for playing.

You want to get in front of it by being the complaintant, not the subject of a complaint filed by someone else. Remember, you should be on the record as someone "reporting the incident", not someone "caught as a result of someone else calling it in".

I am also not away of any legal theory under which post-incident shock establishes a lack of guilt.

It doesn't but it keeps your voice and adrenaline laced body off the phone that's being recorded when you call 911.

You want to be the complaintant, you can do that by having your friend say you were attacked/robbed/threatened.

I watched the OP's video. There was good info in there. Then I found this one...it's half the time of the op's....

[video=youtube_share;v8ue8OEaIlA]http://youtu.be/v8ue8OEaIlA[/video]

Well, every situation is different. Sometimes, people don't care.
SEE EXHIBIT A:

[video=youtube_share;yMxY0Lxo_ow]http://youtu.be/yMxY0Lxo_ow[/video]

I'm no lawyer, but if you called 911 stated "someone tried to kill me and I had to shoot them, send an ambulance" and then gave your location that probably wouldn't hurt you. I don't know if it will help, but I don't think it would hurt.

When police arrive, keep your hands visible, follow all instructions slowly and if they ask you any questions request to go to the hospital and ask for a lawyer. DO NOT go to the hospital if you have had any alcohol recently. Any amount of alcohol in your blood sample (if they take one) will look bad. If you don't talk you may have to spend some time in lock up, so be it. Respectfully comply with instructions, but don't answer questions about the incident without speaking to a lawyer. If someone tries to press you just say that you'll be happy to answer questions with your lawyer present, and then STFU!

You can't go to jail if there are no witnesses. Thinkaboudit! The main reason I carry about 300 rds of spare ammo on me at all times. Hard to go swimming, tho - I sink like a rock.

I thought that was 50 ways to leave your lover, not how to get away with murder.[laugh]

Just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

- - - Updated - - -

Better to bring it to a pig farm.

Is "bury the body in a shallow grave" not the right answer? [rofl]

I'm pretty sure you A) call the police. B) hang up and immediately call a lawyer. C) shut your yap until your lawyer shows up.

This and then when the police show up you state you're not feeling well, grab your chest and lay on the ground. Immediate ambulance ride to the hospital that gives you time think about the event and have your lawyer show up!

Well, every situation is different. Sometimes, people don't care.
SEE EXHIBIT A:

In the 80s and early 90s the "Nike defense" likely worked pretty well, IMHO. Kopsch got a body call and show up and they toe tag some guy with probably a half dozen priors on his head, a self closing case. That stuff doesn't happen like that as much anymore. It's probably still a good idea in foreign countries with shitty justice systems. Now there are cameras all over the ****ing place (and the quality of said cameras getting better) good luck with that unless you're in the woods when it happened. In most cases they'd probably ID you in a couple weeks or less, and you'll be on the downward slope as "a guy who ran away from a street fight that resulted in a shooting" instead of "a victim who fired his gun in self defense".

-Mike

Last edited:
...you should be on the record as someone "reporting the incident", not someone "caught as a result of someone else calling it in".

The one who phones it in is called the complaintant. The other guy is called the suspect. It usually takes some type of evidence to turn that around. It's just the way it is.

This is why I bought that drum of hydrofluoric acid.
You'd been watching too much Breaking Bad.

If you are going to take this approach, use piranha solution - details on the various compositions available via google; standard is Sulfuric Acid H2S04 and Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 (you need the 30% stuff, not the drug store 2%-3% version). Beware that setting up to use it is a big production, and it would be easier to just confess than try to pull this off.

Mythbusters tried it on a swine, and it worked nicely .... though they called the H2O2 a "secret ingredient oxidizer" in their typical paternalistic fashion.

You forgot call ATTY Foley
Foley is quite good, but for a murder rap, I'd go with Attorney Kevin Reddington.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom