What do after shooting someone in selfdefense.

If you could neutralize the threat by shooting to wound instead of kill, would it be better? Good locks and a large noisy dog (especially a black one, even if friendly) and a really good alarm system, could prevent you from ever finding yourself in this situation, at least as far as a break-in. Consider the firearm the LAST resort, not the first. Hidden security cameras could, on the advice of your attorney, produce footage that corroborates.. your version of events. Don't shoot an unarmed kid in the back as he runs out the door with your valuables. Don't unholster unless the immediate threat to life or limb is credible. In other words, stay calm and focused, and think about NOT shooting. That said, do what you need to do. Make the decision with your head, your gut instinct may lead yoy astray.

If you could neutralize the threat by shooting to wound instead of kill, would it be better?
If you say you tried to do that and you have just made an admission the situation did not call for lethal force and you fired anyhow.

Here is my .02

Call 911, tell them a brief synopsis and hang up.

When police arrive, explain BRIEFLY what happened. There is no real harm in telling them that this guy kicked in your door and attacked you with a knife. It's the same thing your lawyer is going to say and since you were in the right legally and morally, that needs to be said. Don't get involved in discussing Minutia like where he was standing, how far away you were, etc. those are questioned for the lawyer

The cops at least need to know right away that this was a self defense situation. If you don't give them a basic synopsis, they start thinking you caught the guy banging your wife or something.

They used to advise cops to ask for an ambulance to go to the ER and get checked out. This was to give them time away from the brass to collect their thoughts and get a lawyer rolling.

Make sure your ****ing wife knows to keep her god damn yap shut for once in her life. She should verify your brief synopsis and then STFU.

NOBODY goes to the PD to answer any questions or for any other reason without an attorney.

The cops at least need to know right away that this was a self defense situation. If you don't give them a basic synopsis, they start thinking you caught the guy banging your wife or something.

I wish I could post a face palm meme from my phone.

COPS ARE OT YOUR FRIENDS.
COPS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

repeat 100 more times.

Last edited:
I think an option might be to call 911 and ask for an ambulance because someone got shot. Give them the address and hang up. That call will get the police there automatically. Go outside and stand in the open. They're going to come in, guns drawn anyway so just make it easy for them. When they asked what happened say the guy broke in and then got shot. They'll ask who shot him. Then you say you want a lawyer for anymore questions.

The fact that they guy was shot is not going to be a secret for long anyway. Who, when, and why are a different story.

This way, you did your diligence and called for medical help but still haven't confessed to anything.

Is "bury the body in a shallow grave" not the right answer? [rofl]

What body are you talking about? I just decided I was going to start digging and turning soil for my garden at 2:30 in the morning. Now can you help me put this 200 pound bag of fertilizer in the hole I just dug, officer?

What body are you talking about? I just decided I was going to start digging and turning soil for my garden at 2:30 in the morning. Now can you help me put this 200 pound bag of fertilizer in the hole I just dug, officer?

Well that sounds like it WOULD make for some TASTY tomatoes!

the key is in the fertilizer [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom