What blade do you carry?

E.D.C. is a M.T. L.C.C. half serrated born 08\ 2000. I use it for stripers and stripping romex. For hunting, depending on the game, I carry a Randall.

I just ordered this today.

The S&W Assisted Opening S.W.A.T. Folding Knife SWATLBS. The knife has T6061 aircraft aluminum handles with sure-grip inlays. The blade is 3.7 inches 4034 teflon coated stainless steel, closed it is 4.8 inches. It has a thumb stud on both sides. The knife is a liner lock with the new M.A.G.I.C. assist open system, and also has a slide button safety on the handle. Includes pocket clip. This is not a switchblade.

SWATLBS1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have strong feelings about serrated vs straight edge?

I have a serrated Spyderco Native, but sometimes I think that a non-serrated edge would be more effective in cutting through thick rope.

Anyone have strong feelings about serrated vs straight edge?

I have a serrated Spyderco Native, but sometimes I think that a non-serrated edge would be more effective in cutting through thick rope.

I prefer a blade that is half serrated half non. Like the Storm II.
But TBH, both have areas where they're better than the other.

I just ordered this today.

The S&W Assisted Opening S.W.A.T. Folding Knife SWATLBS.

I had an S&W SWAT knife. Pretty decent knife for the money or even double the money. I'd own another, no problem.

As to serrated or non-serrated, the best is both on the same blade. Back half serrated, front half non-serrated.

I tend to prefer non-serrated, but, they are much higher maintenance. (I keep my good knives SHARP.)

Kind of partial to this.

cr2012.jpg

CRKT Razel

Spine is very thick and sturdy. Blade is razor sharp

Can be had for 50-60 on e-bay.

Will be getting more when I get the chance.

Kershaw Shallot (non-serrated) here. i dislike serrated blades simply because they're FAR more difficult to sharpen.

ridiculously sharp, holds an edge well, and the assisted opening is a big plus. plus, it's all stainless steel, and wont rust in my pocket when im sweating like a pig (working), like my CRKT M16F did.

Spyderco Delica, first generation (molded plastic clip, not the screwed on metal clip), serrated. In right pocket below keys.

Cold Steel Voyager, 3.5" clip point; Cold Steel Voyager, 3.5" tanto point
- in right pocket, clipped to pocket

Gerber Magnum LST Jr. (2.7" drop point) left pocket. The steel can't hold up like a Spyderco or a Cold Steel, but it has a finer edge.

SOG Micro Tool Clip, left pocket.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Folders.jpg
    Folders.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I carry a Benchmade. I guess I could use it for defense if I needed to but it's a utility knife. I think the blade is 2" and less than 1" is serrated.

What's the advantage of having a tanto style blade?

The point is stronger than a clip or drop point.

The edge at the tip is straight, instead of curved on clip or drop points, so it's more like a chisel. This lets you have a straight edge that can apply work in line with the handle instead of perpendicular with the handle.

The false edge on a clip point is better for taking care of things like packing tape where you don't need an actual honed edge or don't want to gum up serrations with glue.

Spyderco serrations are the best for zip ties and shipping straps, tanto edge best for lifting labels without cutting the label or etching the underlying surface or puncturing sealed air packing pillows, clip points for going through packing tape with a false edge.

Spyderco Delica, first generation (molded plastic clip, not the screwed on metal clip), serrated. In right pocket below keys.

Cold Steel Voyager, 3.5" clip point; Cold Steel Voyager, 3.5" tanto point
- in right pocket, clipped to pocket

Gerber Magnum LST Jr. (2.7" drop point) left pocket. The steel can't hold up like a Spyderco or a Cold Steel, but it has a finer edge.

SOG Micro Tool Clip, left pocket.

attachment.php

Why do you carry 3 knives? why not carry one quality knife

What's the advantage of having a tanto style blade?

I was shopping in a radio shack once. Guy walks in with a horrendously beaten up car alarm remote that has a dead battery. Unlike the usual remote that splits in half, this one had a screw-on cap on the back whose coin slot indents had worn off in the guy's pocket and he couldn't open it to replace the battery.

So he gets a swiss army knife from the radio shack clerk and is trying to use the small knife on the swiss army knife to bite into the plastic to turn it. The slightly curved edge of the swiss army knife is giving him no joy.

I walk up, open my Cold Steel Voyager tanto point, put the nearly 3/4in flat edge chisel tip of the tanto square across this remote's cover and give it a 1/4 turn. Bingo. Didn't even really mar the surface of the cap either.

Why do you carry 3 knives? why not carry one quality knife

Well. Four. If you count the multitool, five.

It's a use the right tool for the right job mentality, avoiding messing up the edge on the wrong tool trying to improvise.

Also makes me very popular when it's "Unwrap and unpackage the case of 500 new backup tapes" day.

Well. Four. If you count the multitool, five.

It's a use the right tool for the right job mentality, avoiding messing up the edge on the wrong tool trying to improvise.

Also makes me very popular when it's "Unwrap and unpackage the case of 500 new backup tapes" day.

If you're using the right tool, then you won't mess up the edge. Knives cut, they are not screwdriver or prybars.

If you're using the right tool, then you won't mess up the edge. Knives cut, they are not screwdriver or prybars.

You never know when you need an extra knife. When people use plastic knives at cookouts, I laugh at them & proceed to cut my steak properly, with steel, as God intended. I then pass out my extra knives to those poor souls around me who didn't come prepared with multiple edged [STRIKE]weapons[/STRIKE] tools. [wink]

This is the best knife I have ever owned. Its light, stays sharp, opens faster then a switch blade and opens beer bottles with the hook.
Spycer Co. Delica 4 emerson blade 50/50
C11PGYW_L.jpg

I carry a Kershaw 1560ST. No real reason other than I was willing to pay what they were asking and I was on my way camping at the time and didn't have a knife on me...it's been in my pocket since.

Back
Top Bottom