What blade do you carry?

Benchmade 806 AFCK and Ares. Both with Axis locks.

Will take other stuff for specific reasons, but those are the two I have with me everyday.

Gerber Applegate, I love it.
05786-open_RGB_640x640.jpg

The gerber has low end steel blade, not worth the cost.
A spyderco native with S-30v, a Delica in v-10 or Benchamde min grip in 154 will be a much better knife and certainly a better value

Kershaw Leek, Tungsten DLC coating.

Started with a plain Leek, lost that one, bought the black coated one. Very durable finish.

I recently picked up a Gerber EAB, which is proving to be very useful for tasks I don't want to destroy a good blade on. Cheap, too!

Gerber EZ-Out folder, half serrated blade ...been carrying one for many, many years.

3.5" blade
Kraton Insert Grips

z80037.gif

It's very slim and light-weight, keeps a decent edge, is a great one-hander (without the need of one of those little "helper" knobs). The new ones have a skeleton top edge ...I have a few older models where there is just a small narrow oval hole for thumb-grip when opening. I removed the clip, since it's a pocket knife, it'd just be in-the-way.

There is no "open-assist", but I certainly don't require one. A snap of my wrist, and it's open. It is in the $30 range, so, much less expensive than those mentioned, but if I lose it ...so what? And if I really need to abuse it in a situation, it'll withstand the punishment, and I've only blemished or damaged a $30 knife ...I'll get another.

I've seen mention of steel quality. Once I got a good edge on this blade, it's been easy to keep it. The one that I carry has been around for almost a decade now, and I have others just waiting in their boxes. Why pay mucho dinero for something that you're hesitant to use for fear of damaging it? This is a knife that you can and will use at-will.

You can clip it on, but it's so slim and unobtrusive, that I just slip it in a front pocket. And it's inexpensive without being cheap. So, if you lose it ...oh well.

PS - I have many folding knives. A few are quite expensive relative to the EZ-Out ...they all look nice in their boxes.

There's a Jr. version too:
2.375-inch blade length. 5.5 inches open length

...from what I understand:
Regular folding pocket knives have no length limit or age restriction under MA law. Municipality law often supersedes state law. For example, in Boston, Salem and Somerville there is a 2.5" blade limit for folding knives.

In NH, I'm not aware of a limit.

Last edited:
http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=798

$189.95, and YES, that is a "switchblade". I'm military, and can carry that on duty, at work. VT doesn;t hassle us much off duty, either, as long as we're LE or MIL.

01397_lg.gif

I walked into a local army/navy store that was basically the inspiration for the shop in "Falling Down" and the two fat guys in fatigues kept hawking them too me as the coolest things evar. Then they went on an anti-government tirade and told me I had purty mouth, so I left. I'm half-tempted to buy one of those just because I can, but I really don't see much more utility in it over an assisted opening.

I carry a Gerber Fast Draw with a serrated blade and would absolutely recommend it. I was going backpacking in northern NH and wanted a cheap spring assisted knife to take on the trail with me. So I strolled into Walmart and picked this guy up for $30 or so. Well that was 4 years ago. This thing has cut, fillet'd, skinned, screwed, you name it. Its been to the bottom of a stream (4 times I believe), in sand, dirt, what have you. She still opens like the day I got her and haven't had to sharpen the blade yet either. Best $30 I've spent in a while.

0001365809446_500X500.jpg

$30? You can't really beat that.
I carry a Gerber Fast Draw with a serrated blade and would absolutely recommend it. I was going backpacking in northern NH and wanted a cheap spring assisted knife to take on the trail with me. So I strolled into Walmart and picked this guy up for $30 or so. Well that was 4 years ago. This thing has cut, fillet'd, skinned, screwed, you name it. Its been to the bottom of a stream (4 times I believe), in sand, dirt, what have you. She still opens like the day I got her and haven't had to sharpen the blade yet either. Best $30 I've spent in a while.

0001365809446_500X500.jpg

Spyderco Delica or Endura... both great knives. I also love my crkt FD knife as shown earlier in the thread...

Back
Top Bottom