PAJIIALGOBMGGFGG

Benchmade Griptilian

This:
shivworks25.jpg

Shivworks Clinch-Pick

And this:
swiss-army-knife.jpg

Swiss Army Knife

What are you wanting it to be for? Ever day, collect, utility or defense? My wife is involved in the industry so she's had access to and hands on.

You never know when you need an extra knife. When people use plastic knives at cookouts, I laugh at them & proceed to cut my steak properly, with steel, as God intended. I then pass out my extra knives to those poor souls around me who didn't come prepared with multiple edged [STRIKE]weapons[/STRIKE] tools. [wink]
Absolutely right. I usually carry 3 knives on my. A Kershaw Leek for something in a hurry- assisted opening. A beater knife- a Gerber Evo I picked up for like $30 at Dick's Sporting Goods. I destroyed it and it still holds a decent edge. I use it as a screwdriver, to jump cars, cut wire, punch holes in steel.... anything a mechanic who doesn't want to go get the right tool can think of using it for. And lastly, a custom Buck 110 S30V on my belt. Awesome knife. And so much sharper than the standard 420HC.

Absolutely right. I usually carry 3 knives on my. A Kershaw Leek for something in a hurry- assisted opening. A beater knife- a Gerber Evo I picked up for like $30 at Dick's Sporting Goods. I destroyed it and it still holds a decent edge. I use it as a screwdriver, to jump cars, cut wire, punch holes in steel.... anything a mechanic who doesn't want to go get the right tool can think of using it for. And lastly, a custom Buck 110 S30V on my belt. Awesome knife. And so much sharper than the standard 420HC.

Sometimes when I whip it out in a steakhouse I hear a gasp from the sheep who are shocked that I would have my own ultra sharp knife for shaving my steak etc. as thick or thin as I like.+1

Usually a Benchmade 530s (wicked light thin and sharp)
530-pardue-main.jpg

or a Spyderco Harpy
harpy.jpg

on a rare occasion when I cannot carry a gun I will carry a spyderco civilian
Civilian.jpg

Some random thoughts:

- Serrated blades are a bitch to sharpen, standard edges are a lot easier to maintain IMNSHO.

- The TDI, due to the curved handle isn't so obvious as to raise eyebrows. I wear it daily and if it is seen by anyone I have yet to be asked about it. Meanwhile it is very sharp and many LEOs swear by it as an alternate weapon that's easy to deploy.

- I also carried a (CRKT IIRC) Ryan Plan B for a while, even got a special horizontal holster for it. Problem was that with a straight shank & handle, it dug into my ribs, was quite obvious to anyone that it was a "big knife" (opinion, not necessarily fact) that would raise eyebrows, and the horizontal holster made the tip of the handle stick out 1-2" from the belt . . . it might have worked well is SOB position, but nowhere else was it unobtrusive. Nice knife and would work well with cowboy boots or in parts of the US where people are used to folks carrying knives. It's been discontinued by the mfr. I have a couple of them NIB as well that I'll eventually sell.

My grandfather bought me a Kershaw Black Gulch II partially serrated about 10 years ago.

Its gotten a little dirty but its still sharp. I haven't really sharpened it since I got it, so it is forgiving.

Oddly, though, I can't find information on the Gulch II anywhere online. Hardly even a picture..

Some random thoughts:

- Serrated blades are a bitch to sharpen, standard edges are a lot easier to maintain IMNSHO.

I think this a good point, especially for an all purpose knife. But, (for me), I never really cut anything with my defensive carry knives. The extreme example of this would be spyderco civilian which really can't be used for anything practical besides defense.

Benchmade has a good sharpening plan so all my BM knives go back to the factory for sharpening.

Back
Top Bottom