• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What blade do you carry?

Well, no offense, it takes a mofo to know a mofo (mofo!). The thread is entitled what blade do you carry. That's what I carry when I do my job which is forest rangery so piss off.

I'll admit to being a mofo (a badass one at that). I was referring to the fact that the OP asked about a "new pocket knife". KA-BAR makes beautiful knives. I've got their Bowie which I use for camp and for yard work. It could come with a better sheath but at less than $50, I'm not complaining.

KA-BAR Bowie: http://www.amazon.com/Ka-bar-39868-...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1317479001&sr=1-1

Getting back on topic, I recently bought my GF a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur that I saw at Amazon.com for $30 (that price has since jumped to $50). It's got a 3.375 inch blade, weighs in at 4.2 oz, has good stippling, it's assisted open, and you can reverse the pocket clip. She keeps it in her purse as opposed to on her person, but she says it's great for her purposes.

Kershaw Blur: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H0E8OI

If you haven't noticed, I tend to purchase most of my knives through Amazon because they seem to have the lowest prices, generally has free shipping, and their selection isn't bad.

Hahaha... if you can comfortably carry a full-sized KA-BAR then you've got to be a huge mofo. To each their own I guess. Anyways, my carry knife at the moment is a SOG Aegis. 3.5in blade, 3.1 oz, assisted, full flat grind, well designed pocket clip, and under $65:

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty...HJPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317437609&sr=8-1

Well, no offense, it takes a mofo to know a mofo (mofo!). The thread is entitled what blade do you carry. That's what I carry when I do my job which is forest rangery so piss off.

Calm down and get a coffee, I think your sarcasm/humor meter is a little off this morning. [rolleyes]

Back on topic: currently a Kershaw Volt II. Wanted a ~ 3" assisted with flipper, plain edge, and a pocket clip set up (or movable) for tip up & back. Stumbled on it at Cabela's. For rare use at work, $24 why not. Steel isn't the best (8Cr13MoV), it got a little rust staining on it in a day or two, but a good cleaning and a light coat of wax (its not used often) took care of that.

I think I posted in this thread a long time ago too, I still have a Victorinox Hiker (handy), and sometimes have a Cold Steel Ti-Lite.

Last edited:
Steel isn't the best (8Cr13MoV),

Your right it's not the best, but it is certainly not the worst. MOV Stels have come a long way. It is the steal used in many of the most popular Spydercos as well as the Kershaws. It's got 0.8 percent carbon which is fairly high and it is mostly corrosion resistant. Often compared to 420hc , and AUS8. Remember everything in steel is a trade off.

Those are 440A Made in USA

ETA: If your looking to jump a little higher end, take a look at the Zero Tolerance Line from Kershaw.

Love my zt300 but sheep get scared as its a beefy blade get a 350 for edc its a little lighter and feels better in your pocket

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Your right it's not the best, but it is certainly not the worst. MOV Stels have come a long way. It is the steal used in many of the most popular Spydercos as well as the Kershaws. It's got 0.8 percent carbon which is fairly high and it is mostly corrosion resistant. Often compared to 420hc , and AUS8. Remember everything in steel is a trade off.

Well I cant knock the steels ability to take an edge, its razor sharp out of the box. I have an AUS8 blade at home that I like more. The MOV steel isn't too bad, but I think that steel combined with the bead blasted finish has made it prone to rust easier. I opened the box, handled it for a little while, put it in my pocket the next morning, and the blade was spotted when I got home from work. Never had that happen with AUS8 or even 440 for that matter.

Dont get me wrong, I do like the knife, it fills its roll just fine and has all the features I wanted. Its simply a little more maintenance intensive than others. It was a toss up between the Volt II or the OSO Sweet. Volt was less than 1/2 price compared to the OSO.

I also love the spyderco lava sv30 is my favorite steel

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

S30V is one of my favs too. Crucible almost always puts out top of the line products.

I recently just picked up the Spyderco Native 5 with S35VN. It is basically S30v with niobium added for better wear and corrosion resistance. I think it is also a finer grain steel as a result of the new formula. Making something better is always a welcome change for me.

goota love snap-on. I've had this knife for 5 years and it still works great, I even sent it out for warrantee because a screw fell out of the pocket clip. They reimbursed for the shipping and sharpened the knife for me.
+1 for Kershaw/snap-on

Amazon seems to have most models

Spyderco Tenacious
spyderco.jpg

My knives. I carry the HK Benchmade Tanto (BT2) 3.3" in my pocket. When off the beaten path I carry the Ka-Bar 7". Yes, size does matter in certain circumstances [wink]. Both black blades... personal preference.

HKBMTantoBT2.jpg Ka-Bar.jpg

Thanks to Bostonian23, I'm going to upgrade from my Swiss Army Midnight Manager to a Brand new Kershaw Blur Tanto!

I have this Gerber (with fine edge), and I like it quite a bit since it's small and compact with a 2.6" blade (many states have a <3" blade requirement). One of the things I like most about it is that the clip is on the opposite side of the hinge so that I don't have to turn the knife around to open it.
http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/Vallotton-Knife_22-41528

Just picked up a Kershaw BG scout knife at cableas the other night, i know its not as good as benchmade but i needed a small pocket knife and this ones small but bulkly enough. came pretty sharp out of the box. only cost me like 20$ so im not gonna be pissed if i lose it.

Back
Top Bottom