• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What blade do you carry?

Benchmade Rukus

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-610...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1249053064&sr=8-1

for some reason amazon has it at about 60$ more than everyone else, not sure why.

It's big according to pansies who are scared of knives, but to me, it fits my hand well. Benchmade makes a good product.

So, I was asleep at the wheel and did not notice a hex screw loosening up, and eventually dropping out. I called Benchmade to buy another and they sent it out for nothing. Just wanted to add that the CS there is always top notch.

I'd go with either Benchmade or Spyderco, I have owned both and have good experiences with both, I tend to like a Benchmade a little better, but that is strictly a personal preference. What knife I carry now or even if I carry a knife is a question I will forgive you for asking if you will kindly forgive me for not answering.

I hope you find the one that's right for you.

I've been carrying this Buck since I got it at the last Sippican competition. For years I carried the Kershaw spring-assisted "whirlwind" that I posted earlier in this thread. That's a great knife as well, but this Buck holds an edge like no other knife I've had. It locks up very tight and crisp. The belt clip is on the wrong end that I'm used to, but It's becoming more natural. I had to shave and slice a foam bumper absorber with this knife and it was barely dulled by the task.
Plus it's got the G.O.A.L. emblem on it.
Buck.jpg

What do you all use for sharpening your blades? I can't seem to get that "new feel sharpness" out of my blades after awhile.

I've got the GOAL Bucks, Benchmades and Gerbers

edge pro is nasty!

i like using my KMG industrial belt grinder..... but thats because i have it

other than that i usually use a spyderco sharpmaker, and i use DMT diasharp continuous diamond stones. much better than the other diamond stones out there. they use monocrystaline diamonds instead of the polycrystaline stuff that shears and wears out really fast.

325 grit is all you need. diamond cuts so fast you can re profile an edge in no time, but it's also fine enough where you don't need to go beyond that. i prefer that grit for a slightly toothy edge that's great for the stuff most people cut on an every day basis.

theperfectedge.com is a great place for sharpening stones. the owner's customer service is awesome and he's passionate about SHARP

or if you're feeling saucy by the edge pro.

i have not used paper wheels.but they kind of seems to work like a buffer which i use all the time.
buffers are great but dangerous if they run too fast. i suggest something at about 1750 RPMs. use green chrome buffin compound and you'll be all set. this is great for touching up an edge, and as a final step in place of stropping.

if you see an old bench grinder at a yard sale, you can use one of those with buffing wheel, it might be set up at 3450 RPMs, but if you play it safe you'll be ok. (i have one set up like that, and still have all of my fingers)

What do you guys think of this? I like the idea of having the glass punch and seatbelt cutter incorporated into the knife. Plus it's inexpensive and have great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I have the SW M&P5L, which can be had on amazon for around $30. It does not have a seatbelt cutter, but does have a glass punch (and IMO opinion a much better one than the SW knife you referred to). The blade is of much better construction as well, and this knife comes with the magic assisted open feature. This is about as close to an automatic blade that you can get without running into legal problems. It is a rather heavy blade, which really helps when using the glass punch feature, so if you do not mind a slightly large, heavy knife then you might wanna check this out

I've been carrying this Buck since I got it ... but this Buck holds an edge like no other knife I've had. It locks up very tight and crisp. The belt clip is on the wrong end that I'm used to, but It's becoming more natural. I had to shave and slice a foam bumper absorber with this knife and it was barely dulled by the task.
Plus it's got the G.O.A.L. emblem on it.
Buck.jpg

This would be awesome if it could be made into a fixed blade knife!

Navy SEAL Combat Knife Made From World Trade Center Steel to Benefit Troops Killed in

I put my bid in but hit my $5K limit

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/navy-seal-combat-knife-made-from-world-trade-center-steel-to-benefit-troops-killed-in-copter-crash/

Now, in the wake of the August 5 helicopter crash that killed 30 U.S. troops, including 22 SEALs, Emerson has made a special, one-of-a-kind commemorative knife with a blade constructed with steel from the World Trade Center, to be auctioned off to benefit a memorial for the families of those killed.

http://www.emersonknives.com/auction/auction_details.php?name=The-Memorial-6&auction_id=100150

Bump the price up if you can.

Hahaha... if you can comfortably carry a full-sized KA-BAR then you've got to be a huge mofo. To each their own I guess. Anyways, my carry knife at the moment is a SOG Aegis. 3.5in blade, 3.1 oz, assisted, full flat grind, well designed pocket clip, and under $65:

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty...HJPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317437609&sr=8-1

Well, no offense, it takes a mofo to know a mofo (mofo!). The thread is entitled what blade do you carry. That's what I carry when I do my job which is forest rangery so piss off.

Back
Top Bottom