What blade do you carry?

I'm usually carrying a Gerber 450 for work. 1/2 serrated, $20 walmart special.

When not at work, its a Kershaw Chive.

Another vote for the Kershaw Leek. Here's mine (new yesterday!)
5640_1204825838749_1171710253_634147_5064897_n.jpg

(It's purple!)

And here's what I carried before then. Now it'll be my back up "throw down" knife. [wink]
22-08444_Gerber_Paraframe_I_Stainless_Fine_Edge.jpg

What's the total open length of the Leek?

Question for all the Kershaw people (I've never owned one and only seen a few. Do they all only have an edge on one side of blade or is just some of them? Is this a good thing, a bad thing, what's the deal?

Thanks!

Question for all the Kershaw people (I've never owned one and only seen a few. Do they all only have an edge on one side of blade or is just some of them? Is this a good thing, a bad thing, what's the deal?

Thanks!

Mine has an edge on both sides, if I'm understanding your question correctly.

Lansky

Some random thoughts:

- Serrated blades are a bitch to sharpen, standard edges are a lot easier to maintain IMNSHO.

I must offer a product endorsement.

I rarely have to sharpen my knives. This is entirely because I don't often have to use them on materials that would dull them and my previously mentioned wide variety results in me usually having the ideal knife that can complete the task with the least force. Even with that, I do have occasion to sharpen a pocket knife.

I'm not a sharpening expert - I don't know what state my stone came from, I don't have any rational basis for prefering one sharpening oil over another, and I don't know what edge angles are best for my needs. I have a three stone Lansky sharpener kit and the alumina-ceramic serrated edge sharpening stone for Lansky sharpening kits. It is very effective and in particular handles Spyderco serrations very well.

A friend had a serrated Spyderco Delica that, in a jam, was used as an improvised tool and the tip and some of the serrations at the tip were heavily damaged. Using the Lansky kit, the regular stones, and the ceramic serrated edge stone, I was able to put a new clean edge on the damaged serrations, smooth out and resharpen a notch that had been cut into the tip, and resharpen all of the serrations evenly without wearing down the points or smoothing out the serrations.

I've also used it on the serrated blade on a small multi-tool of my own that had been dulled by abusive use. A very handy kit for sharpening serrated edges.

Here's a link for the ceramic serrated edge stone.

I'm an armed guard so I'm looking for it to be on my weak side JIC.

I've had a TDI for a couple years and I really like it and I gave some to a couple buddies when I was still in the service and they loved theirs. It's a pretty good blade and I don't think it'd treat you wrong.

If you want something a bit different you could check this out.

http://www.mantisknives.com/Product Zoom/BK1 Wicked/bk1_wicked.html

I've met the owner of Mantis and he's a good guy who's working really hard to get quality and unique products out on the market.

Last edited:
I carry a Gerber Fast Draw with a serrated blade and would absolutely recommend it. I was going backpacking in northern NH and wanted a cheap spring assisted knife to take on the trail with me. So I strolled into Walmart and picked this guy up for $30 or so. Well that was 4 years ago. This thing has cut, fillet'd, skinned, screwed, you name it. Its been to the bottom of a stream (4 times I believe), in sand, dirt, what have you. She still opens like the day I got her and haven't had to sharpen the blade yet either. Best $30 I've spent in a while.

0001365809446_500X500.jpg

+1 I have carried this knife literally every day for the last 4-5 years and believe me, im not easy on it.

Yup that was the question. I was looking at a small ?ctr model the other day and the edge was on a single slide of the blade.

I own a Kershaw Scallion, and Leek... and both blades have the edge on both sides. Come to think of it... all of the Kershaws I've seen/held, etc, have the edge on both sides. [grin]

I think this a good point, especially for an all purpose knife. But, (for me), I never really cut anything with my defensive carry knives. The extreme example of this would be spyderco civilian which really can't be used for anything practical besides defense.

Benchmade has a good sharpening plan so all my BM knives go back to the factory for sharpening.

I generally use a Miller #4, but on rare occasions I'll use a Mac #3.

I have a few I carry. sometimes one, some times two, sometimes all of them (mostly if I'm going on a long trip).

EDIT: ok ,the pics are too big to post, pics attached.

Attachments

• PIC-0217.jpg
    PIC-0217.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 43
  • PIC-0219.jpg
    PIC-0219.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PIC-0220.jpg
    PIC-0220.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 18
Benchmade Osborne 940, all black, modified tanto blade. Axis lock opens as fast as an assisted opener. Solid and reliable.

Chris

Yep. The 940 is my EDC as well. Great knife. Light, under 3 oz, strong lock, great blade and opens smooth as glass. Once in a while you can find a used one under $100 if you're not in a hurry.

I also have a "mini" Griptillian which utilizes the same rock solid Axis lock. Under 3 oz and a terrific blade just shy of 3". An absolute STEAL at $60-70 most everywhere. Got one for my wife also and she loves it.

Anyone have strong feelings about serrated vs straight edge?

I have a serrated Spyderco Native, but sometimes I think that a non-serrated edge would be more effective in cutting through thick rope.

You will get just many who are passionate for one or the other. Both have their places. Depends if it is your only blade or backup, and what the indended use is. If carrying one blade, my preference is straight edge as I keep my knives sharp so can do anything a serrated can and field sharpen them easier if needed. For these I lean toward Benchmades. However, serrated does cut through rope and such a bit faster. I love Spyderco serrations. They are the bomb! Full serration only. Don't much care for the 50/50's. Sometimes when I'm camping/hiking I like a straight fixed blade and a serrated folder.

Digging up an old thread: Here's the latest purchases along with my EDC.

EDC is a well used bordering on beat up Gerber E-Z Out 450 folder. 1/2 serrated, belt clip, 3" blade.

Buck knife is a Bucklite Max. 3" Drop Point blade, full tang & nice Nylon sheath.

Larger Gerber knife is a Profile Fixed Blade. 4" drop point blade, full tang & crappy nylon sheath. Will be finding a good leather sheath soon.

Not pictured is another EDC, a well used and still sharp Kershaw Chive.

DSCF00086.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom