Warning shot to scare off attacking dog

The dog will not understand that it's being shot at. If you've got a pit bull tearing someone up, put a bullet in it. I read electric meters for 5yrs out of HS, 90% of dog attacks can be stopped by a bat, kick, forearm across the back of the head.

Hard Block

NEVER FIRE WARNING SHOTS!!!

And if you are too stupid to not follow that advice, if you are exercising your 5th amendment right to not incriminate yourself, the cops should never know that you did fire a warning shot.

Well, down here in the land of the more free - the GF and I were at the park walking these two:

IMG00068-20100522-1425.jpg

Couple laps around the park and it's getting dark. All of a sudden, I see the bigger of my two dogs stop dead in his tracks and looking off the the right of us. I hear something charging at us. I immediately pick him up and turn around to see an unleashed pitbull snapping and jumping at the little one and my gf. Pretty funny actually, the little one tried to play dead and just fell over stiff like a sheep - anyway the gf immediately picks him up and I kick the ever loving shit out of this dog. I'm pretty sure I broke a few ribs as I was wearing steel toes. Pitbull keeps jumping and barking at us. At this point, I see no owner around and both the gf and I are carrying. I'm pocket carrying a 380 and as soon as I get my hand on it someone starts yelling, "yeah kick the shit out of her, stupid f'ing dog etc." The dog hears this and starts moving back to the owner. The next step was to put the dog down and call the police while dealing with the owner. In CT the owner would have been arrested for having an unleashed dog in public and the gf and I would have gone home with a good shoot.

Last edited:
I am late to the thread and did not read any of the previous replies, but IIRC IANAL animals are considered property and you would IMHO be screwed 6 ways to Sunday if you either fired a warning shot or shot another dog to protect yours.

NOW, assuming your dog was on a leash, or on your property, and you were in close proximity to the dangerous animal I would have no problem with you shooting to stop the threat to your safety.

Would OC spray do the trick? If a dog attacked my dog, I would A) stop the other dog and then B) stop my bulldozer of a dog from going ape sh*t on the other one. I think OCing them both right in between the snouts would probably be the best means of ending that scuffle. I wouldn't want to see either one of them seriously injured.
From what I've read, it takes a few seconds for the dog to comprehend getting hit with OC, and even that's iffy if it'll stop the dog if it's in "go mode".

At the end of the day, dogs will be dogs, and dogs occasionally do fight.
...and there it is. Just be aware of your surroundings. I own a lab-pit, yet my training with her gave me a fantastic beast. It's the idiots with the sagging pants who get pits to make them think they look cool. Idiots, one and all, right there...
2011-04-24_07-49-11_64.jpg
4-25-2012 12-10-09 PM.jpg
smiling rabbit.jpg <----evil empire, baby-killing beast [smile]

I am late to the thread and did not read any of the previous replies, but IIRC IANAL animals are considered property and you would IMHO be screwed 6 ways to Sunday if you either fired a warning shot or shot another dog to protect yours.

I'm not firing a shot to protect my dogs life, I'm firing a shot to protect my life [wink]

If my dog was ever attacked by another dog and I was unable to protect my dog, I would consider a warning shot to scare off the attacking dog.

Attacks like that can be thwarted by loud noise.

It could also spare me with dealing with the attacking dogs owner who may become violent toward me.

I would prefer to shoot the attacking dog rather than end up in jail for firing a warning shot, however.

In case my dog ever gets attacked by an unrelenting dog, what is the most lawful way to proceed?

I got attacked by a big mutt of unknown mix back in high school. I stopped it by choking the dog out. Put his neck in the V of the elbow and allow the bicep and forearm to apply pressure to both sides of his neck just like you do with a human. The effing owner actually bitched me out too. Just one more reason why I hate ignorant dog owners.....

Can you carry a folding baton in MA? I was under the impression that you could not, but I realized I don't remember if/where I saw that.
MGL 269.10 (b) http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

If I'm reading that correctly, then you should be able to carry a folding baton of some sort (as long as you're not doing something illegal). I feel like if it was truly legal then I would see folding batons being sold somewhere... am I missing something here?

Palladin is older than dirt. These laws did not exist when he read meters. In fact I'm surprised they had electricity when he was young...

I don't have the law in front of me now, but you can shoot a dog and it doesn't have to be life threatening. Their was a thread on it a couple of years ago. Your friend should not have been arrested.

Man, this turned into a mess for this guy. I just saw him recently and it's still going on. I may not be filled in on all the details but we're not talking a kid here, he's in his 60's, well educated, and around firearms forever. He wouldn't have shot unless he had no other option. So maybe 2 1/2 years and still in limbo with the LTC.

I experience that daily, when my cat attacks my golden. She fights with my golden but softly, nothing to draw blood. Everytime my golden wins because he is 1: a wimp, and two is a lover not a fighter.

What if a cat attacked your dog? Never mind. I know the answer.

Massachusetts law, or sometimes non law, is crazy. I try to support LE but when they go out of the way to find charges it makes one wonder. I'm old enough to remember when the police helped you out of situations and not drag you in deeper.

Massachusetts law, or sometimes non law, is crazy. I try to support LE but when they go out of the way to find charges it makes one wonder. I'm old enough to remember when the police helped you out of situations and not drag you in deeper.
Paycheck justification?

Dear Lord. Don't any of you carry a blade? That's what they're for...
+1. Hell, carry two...

I'm pocket carrying a 380 and as soon as I get my hand on it someone starts yelling, "yeah kick the shit out of her, stupid f'ing dog etc." The dog hears this and starts moving back to the owner.

Wow... that guy should not be allowed to have a dog. What a shitty "owner"

Knife to the groin to stop the attack, then slice the throat to comply with the "prompt killing" clause in the MA law. Lastly, go home and share the story on NES.

From your link;

He deserved to get arrested. Your point ? Wait, you don't have one. [rolleyes]

NH law on the shooting of dogs:

Let me think abpout your question... Oh, I know:
A citizen who is suddenly assaulted by a dog out of its enclosure or the immediate care of its owner or while the assualting dog is worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Please continue to mock my freedom, tell me how Deval and Martha will keep you safe... [laugh]
Your freedom to shoot dogs? Congrats. How do you feel about the dog just found burned and impaled in Manchester? That guy should walk also?

All states allow the killing of animals worrying farm animals - including MA. Please show me cases where MA residents have been arrested for shooting dogs.

Last edited:
Your freedom to shoot dogs? Congrats. How do you feel about the dog just found burned and impaled in Manchester? That guy should walk also?

All states allow the killing of animals worrying farm animals - including MA. Please show me cases where MA residents have been arrested for shooting dogs.

In this thread we're discussing defensive situations, not the wanton killing and torture of pets, which is a criminal act performed by scumbags.

You're trolling plain and simple. Sad really, that this is the best you can do.

Carry pepper spray,a walking stick and if you need to make noise a starter pistol.
I'm sure they could give you chrome braceletts and give you a nice car ride for the starter pistol. It's too scary looking and makes a scarry sound.

How about one of those little air horns?

I had a huge rottie come after me on my mountain bike I sprayed right in the face, it stopped dead in its tracks. Sprayed it again it took off, next weekend same trail same dog, it got within 20 feet of me and ran with its tail between its legs. I always walk the dogs with the spray, used it a few times it works great. It sprays far enough I don't worry about getting attacked. Always carry my 1911 in case, never needed.

Last edited:
I had a huge rottie come after me on my mountain bike I sprayed right in the face, it stopped dead in its tracks. Sprayed it again it took off, next weekend same trail same dog, it got within 20 feet of me and ran with its tail between its legs. I always walk the dogs with the spray, used it a few times it works great. It sprays far enough I don't worry about getting attacked. Always carry my 1911 in case, never needed.
Is that a specialized spray, or a typical pepper spray?

In this thread we're discussing defensive situations, not the wanton killing and torture of pets, which is a criminal act performed by scumbags.

You're trolling plain and simple. Sad really, that this is the best you can do.
Do post up a single instance of a MA resident being arrested for shooting a dog.

This whole thread is a troll, but people being arrested for shooting dogs is not uncommon, so it seems.

I had a 110 lb Lab and he had an unneutered male Golden Retriever come after him. I let go of his leash. These two big strong dogs had a battle royal before the other owner showed up and we separated them, and neither appeared injured at all. Except that in my efforts to separate them, my own dog took a nice chunk out of my leg.

I'd want to have a good strong stick handy if I was worried about dog attacks.

It's been awhile but I've seen news reports of at least a few dog incidents in MA where the shooter was facing some sort of trouble or another.

Just because the law will back you up when it comes down to the "grit" of the situation doesn't mean some dirtbag LEO or prosecutor won't try to make hay with it. Bogus charges are pretty much par for the course on a lot of cases in MA in general.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom