Warning shot to scare off attacking dog

Reptile

NES Member
If my dog was ever attacked by another dog and I was unable to protect my dog, I would consider a warning shot to scare off the attacking dog.

Attacks like that can be thwarted by loud noise.

It could also spare me with dealing with the attacking dogs owner who may become violent toward me.

I would prefer to shoot the attacking dog rather than end up in jail for firing a warning shot, however.

In case my dog ever gets attacked by an unrelenting dog, what is the most lawful way to proceed?

Kick the other dog? Mace it?

Assuming you dint have a fight between two bully-type dogs, a swift kick or two should do the trick.

If you have a bully, carry a break sick and know how to properly use it

It could also spare me with dealing with the attacking dogs owner who may become violent toward me.

Two words: Harold Fish

IMHO his "warning shots" did not help his case when the angry dog owner came and assaulted him.

If he had shot Kunzli's dog, and kept his s**t together, he may have never ended up in jail.

If you can't justify shooting the "enemy" dog, then blast it in the anus, with OC.

-Mike

My dog is a harmless old hound who would never hurt a fly.

If it is just to easy to stop the attack with a kick I guess I won't even need to employ my firearm.

In all honesty I do not know how determined an attack dog can be while the victim dogs owner is defending it.

I just figured that Massachusetts would throw me in jail for a warning shot to scare a dog.

I wonder if that applies to bears as well.

If it is just to easy to stop the attack with a kick I guess I won't even need to employ my firearm.

In all honesty I do not know how determined an attack dog can be while the victim dogs owner is defending it.

I just figured that Massachusetts would throw me in jail for a warning shot to scare a dog.

This is RPM, anything is possible.

If you're going to fire the gun you shouldn't waste ammunition. I'll leave it at that. You're going to be under the same legal issues anyways once the gun comes out.

If you really want to explore this issue I would call up Keith Langer and pay for an hour of his time. IIRC he has dealt with several dog-shoot cases.

-Mike

A buddy shot a dog attacking his wife in their yard a couple of years ago, pretty brutal attack I understand, nothing would stop this dog. Responding officer arrested him as they loaded the wife into the ambulance....discharging a firearm within city limits, within so many feet of a dwelling, I forgot just how many exacty, mayhem, reckless abandon.....it went on and on. Released by his own recognizance, suspended his LTC and took his guns out of the house. Two years later the wife is fine but he's still in court. Wont say what city but very close north of Boston.

Depends on the scenario, honestly. Hackles up, be wary. Charging....sorry pooch, I'm give you my forearm, then shove my thumb into your eye and blow it out....

And they'd love doing it too.
Cute, cuddly little teddy bears? For shame for thinking of hurting a poor, defenseless animal like that [rofl2]

The dog will not understand that it's being shot at. If you've got a pit bull tearing someone up, put a bullet in it. I read electric meters for 5yrs out of HS, 90% of dog attacks can be stopped by a bat, kick, forearm across the back of the head.

The dog will not understand that it's being shot at. If you've got a pit bull tearing someone up, put a bullet in it. I read electric meters for 5yrs out of HS, 90% of dog attacks can be stopped by a bat, kick, forearm across the back of the head.

Can you carry a folding baton in MA? I was under the impression that you could not, but I realized I don't remember if/where I saw that.
MGL 269.10 (b) http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10
or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph
If I'm reading that correctly, then you should be able to carry a folding baton of some sort (as long as you're not doing something illegal). I feel like if it was truly legal then I would see folding batons being sold somewhere... am I missing something here?

Would OC spray do the trick? If a dog attacked my dog, I would A) stop the other dog and then B) stop my bulldozer of a dog from going ape sh*t on the other one. I think OCing them both right in between the snouts would probably be the best means of ending that scuffle. I wouldn't want to see either one of them seriously injured. At the end of the day, dogs will be dogs, and dogs occasionally do fight.

Stopping a dog fight is tough. I've done it and got a trip to the ER for my trouble.

The best thing to do is to avoid it by keeping your dog on a leash and recognizing the arousal behavior most normal dogs have: ears folding back, stiffening of the spine, among the more usual growling, fur bristling, etc.

That is usually a good time to move along and get your dog fixated on something else.

If there's another dog and it's dangerous and bothering your dog stand up very tall and speak to the other animal in a low tone. Don't get excited and don't run. Running triggers their prey instinct. Control and shield your own dog as best you can, calmly leave the area and promptly call animal control.

What if a cat attacked your dog? Never mind. I know the answer.

Yeah.
ist2_5126174-dinner-plate-knife-and-fork.jpg

Kick the other dog? Mace it?

Assuming you dint have a fight between two bully-type dogs, a swift kick or two should do the trick.

If you have a bully, carry a break sick and know how to properly use it
A break stick is a MUST have if you own a bully breed.

With that said, I will only use a break stick on an APBT. (me personally)

I carry pepper spray when walking my dog for this reason. We have many unleashed dogs in the neighborhood and my dog has been attacked several times. She's not one to back down but it's not worth a trip to the vet.

A buddy shot a dog attacking his wife in their yard a couple of years ago, pretty brutal attack I understand, nothing would stop this dog. Responding officer arrested him as they loaded the wife into the ambulance....discharging a firearm within city limits, within so many feet of a dwelling, I forgot just how many exacty, mayhem, reckless abandon.....it went on and on. Released by his own recognizance, suspended his LTC and took his guns out of the house. Two years later the wife is fine but he's still in court. Wont say what city but very close north of Boston.

I don't have the law in front of me now, but you can shoot a dog and it doesn't have to be life threatening. Their was a thread on it a couple of years ago. Your friend should not have been arrested.

I think their is a section related to discharging a firearm also, but have not found it.

§ 156. Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs

Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.

Last edited:
OP - great troll topic!

You are in Massachusetts, remember this:"I can find no law to permit this".

Unless you can, you cannot.
Do a search for "man arrested for shooting dog" and you'll find it''s rather common in many states. Don't mess with the dog lobby.....

NH example.

Texas example - shot dog with crossbow

I found other examples in Maine, Illinois, Wisconsin, California, Georgia, and many others.

Read a few of the stories and you'll be wondering "What kind of man shoots a dog?"

Last edited:
And you will end up going to prison like the woman in Fl. who fired the warning shot against an attacker!

OP - great troll topic!

Do a search for "man arrested for shooting dog" and you'll find it''s rather common in many states. Don't mess with the dog lobby.....
<snip>
Read a few of the stories and you'll be wondering "What kind of man shoots a dog?"

From your link;
while the animal was sleeping in its doghouse

He deserved to get arrested. Your point ? Wait, you don't have one. [rolleyes]

NH law on the shooting of dogs:

RSA 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Let me think abpout your question... Oh, I know:
A citizen who is suddenly assaulted by a dog out of its enclosure or the immediate care of its owner or while the assualting dog is worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Please continue to mock my freedom, tell me how Deval and Martha will keep you safe... [laugh]

Last edited:
Carry pepper spray,a walking stick and if you need to make noise a starter pistol.

Back
Top Bottom