• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Warning shot to scare off attacking dog

My yellow lab got bitten by a rottie while I was walking him as a kid. The rottie came out of nowhere and just sunk his teeth into my dog. I kicked that f'ing rottie as hard as I possible could in the ribs. I lifted him in the air with the force of my kick and he yelped real good. My dog took a few stitches from the wound - it was a canine puncture near his shoulder. The rottie's owner came to my house a day or two later - and tried to tell my folks that we owed him for the fractured rib I gave the rottie. My father said forget it, call it a draw else we will call the animal control on the loose rottie. Never heard from them again.

ETA: since i have been told that kicking or punching a rapid dog square in the nose will stop them. I dont know if thats trur or not, and I am not so keen to put my fist that close to the business end of a rabid dog. But I do know a timberland to the midsection does indeed work.

Just use pepper spray. It works very well on all but the most psychotic pitbull that some druggies may have trained to be that way. One time I had to spray, and several other times the dog knew what it was and backed off just out of spray range, obviously having encountered pepper spray before.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just use pepper spray. It works very well on all but the most psychotic pitbull that some druggies may have trained to be that way. One time I had to spray, and several other times the dog knew what it was and backed off just out of spray range, obviously having encountered pepper spray before.

Psychotic? Really? LOL

taser, mase, baseball bat, shovel, bucket of water, boot to skull, rock, any of those aught to be OK god forbid we defend ourselves like the second amendment allows, I guess that's only against dogs with guns

Dogs are pretty fragile in a lot of ways , but when they are in "go" mode stay away from the muzzle end.

I have big dogs in a crowded town. A nearby neighbor has a good sized Pitbull. She doesn't know enough about dog aggression , defensive behavior or dominance to own this dog safely.

Several people walk this animal ( near my home ) , when the dog walkers handle it - no problems , when she walks it it becomes very protective - to the point of quietly challenging any who come near. And she just doesn't get it.

I actually like pit bulls , but this one is unsafe under this owner. I avoid them when I see them. and I carry pepper spray when I walk my beasties. ( and a 1911 ).

In this state I believe it's best to know that if you draw your firearm and the police come , or hear about it , you get arrested. Martha does not approve of scab labor doing (police ) Union work.

Reptile is trolling you guys, this thread goes 68 posts. Really, warning shots, shooting dogs? [laugh]

jesusallahbuddha.

Come on people.

speaking of pit bulls, check this out. Interesting to say the least. As a GSD owner, I hate the negative rep some breeds have gotten due to crappy owners.

tumblr_ljm8z67YLX1qj1a0to1_4002.jpg

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676

Last edited:
Carry pepper spray,a walking stick and if you need to make noise a starter pistol.

Not that I have one or have any interest in carrying one or using one but because I'm wondering. What's the legality of discharging a starter pistol(in public not at a racing or like event) in this Commonwealth of ours?

My earlier post is not bashing pit bulls, just some idiot owners who get these dogs to train them to be as mean and dangerous as possible. From what I hear, pepper spray may be ineffective on them. Should be great for most dogs though.

carry a blade, that's a good start.

i believe local leash laws would affect the legalities of the situation.

i also believe local town discharge laws would also affect the legalities of the situation.

warning shots are a no no in MA...stick with that.

not sure i could pick out the correct dog in a vicious dog fight with my CCW, alot of movement going on there, might kill my dog on accident.

i find the cited law interesting....seems like it's okay to shoot the dog if the owner isn't around to attempt to control it...but if he/she is around, then you can't cuz they are the ones responsible for their dog and (i guess) they deserve the chance to stop the attack and control their dog. i may be interpreting that wrong, however.

i had a pit for a long time, awesome dog. just didn't like cats...AT ALL!!!

i remember a story that happened about 8 years ago in Somerset, MA (where there is a mandatory leash law). a man, his wife, and their dog walking on a side street come up to a house where a man is working in his open garage with his rotweiler hanging out with him. rotweiler spots the couple and their dog, starts charging & barking at the walking couple. once the dog was off of the owners private property and on to the public roadway, the guy pulls out is .40 CCW, pops off 2 shots, hits the dog with one right in the eye and out the side of it's face. the dog stops in it's tracks and starts rolling around on the ground, howling, then eventually heads back towards the owner. the owner starts freaking and calls the cops. the walking couple stays and gives their statement to police, and then walks home. no charges, no license suspension, no NOTHING!!! the dog survives after a visit to the vet and a major vet bill. there was only a bogus law suit from the dog's owner for the vet bill to be paid by the couple, which he did not win and ended up having to pay himself. he didn't have his dog on a leash, he didn't have his dog under control (allowing it to leave his property), and witnesses confirmed the dog was charging and displaying aggressive behavior. case closed.

i'm trying to find an article about it, but can't at the moment. it was in "the spectator" which is a small local newspaper in the area. i remember this story clearly because it happened just before i started to become interested in firearms and started the quest to getting my LTC.

as with all firearm-related incidents, i feel it's extremely circumstancial.

Pets are property.

Can't use deadly force to protect property.

Guns are always deadly force.

Get it?

Sent from the bottom of my bowl of Cheerios.

Is a raging pit bull not an immediate, grave threat to your own life?

If my dog was ever attacked by another dog and I was unable to protect my dog, I would consider a warning shot to scare off the attacking dog.

Attacks like that can be thwarted by loud noise.

It could also spare me with dealing with the attacking dogs owner who may become violent toward me.

I would prefer to shoot the attacking dog rather than end up in jail for firing a warning shot, however.

In case my dog ever gets attacked by an unrelenting dog, what is the most lawful way to proceed?

If you can shoot a warning shot, you can defend your dog.

If you dont want to shoot it, then stab it.

or get in front of your dog and let the other dog attack you. then you can either: 1-Do a hard block or 2-shoot it. Just make sure you dont have any snap caps.

Last edited:
Go ahead take a warning shot, then loose you're ltc. I have been walking my dogs for since 1999. I wear my steel toe boots, carry mace, and a 1911. Warning shots are a waste of ammo and will draw attention to you. Mace has worked for 3 or 4 times for me and is quiet.

Pets are property.

Can't use deadly force to protect property.

Guns are always deadly force.

Get it?

Sent from the bottom of my bowl of Cheerios.

i see your point, as u were quite clear. the property u are referring to would be maybe a car, a stereo, a tv, a dog, etc. in that case, you are 100% correct in saying you can't use deadly force to protect those items. but a dog charging at YOU is a different story. so the the OP, i would say a warning shot or even a direct shot at a dog attacking your dog is a no go. however, a dog charging at you which is not under the control of it's owner is fair game to be shot. if the dog IS under control of it's owner, then it's NOT fair game to be shot. if the owner is encouraging the dog to attack you while in control of the dog, then i would consider the dog an extension of the owner and consider it fair game to shoot them both, LOL!! (maybe not, just nother scenario to think about though.)

i WOULD use deadily force on a dog charging at ME.

i WOULD NOT use deadily force on a dog charging at my dog.

i WOULD NOT use deadily force on a theif stealing my TV.

i WOULD use deadily force on a theif stealing my TV if he came at me with intent to harm, however.

Last I checked there's no law against stepping in front of your property. Do that, and you've switched scenario 2 into scenario 1.

Oh, and "deadly". ;)

good point....that's always an option too!!! if you have time...

could always just carry around some beef jerky and win the dog over with a yummy treat!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom