Uniformed cop carrying a 1911?

Every afternoon on my way home I walk by the Federal Reserve Bank building on Atlantic Ave in Boston. Normally there isn't much going on but today I noticed a uniformed cop inspecting an 18-wheeler in the FRB parking lot. When I took a look at the cop I noticed that instead of the usual black firearm on his hip he had a beautiful shiny gun. [smile] I did a double-take and realized that he was carrying a 1911. I am not sure of the make but if I were to take a guess I would said that it was either a Kimber or a Colt.

Are cops allowed to carry non-standard issue firearms? Or are the FRB cops exempt due to falling under the Federal jurisdiction?

Either way I was glad to see a cop with good taste. [wink]

From what I have seen most departments in mass do not allow officers to choose a sidearm (generally speaking). I have seen some (one) in CT carrying a 1911.

i always meat gaze police to see what they are packin' [laugh]

makes for awkward moments sometimes, but oh well.

Are cops allowed to carry non-standard issue firearms? [wink]

Yes you can carry any firearm which you qualify with. However some departments encourage the exclusive use of standard issue firearms. Many special operations units such as K9, Tactical Response, etc are issued 1911's.

The Tacoma, Washington PD started issuing Kimber 1911s in 2001 and to the best of my knowledge they still do.

Departments that issue guns seem to generally like to have their officers only carry that gun on duty because it is cheaper to keep the department stocked with only one type of ammo, magazine, holster, etc.

I believe that one of our resident BPD officers noted that one of their bike units is issued 1911s.

I believe that North Attleboro did and perhaps still does issue Paras.

There are several issues why that I am aware of for Federal Agencies. Mostly it falls under these three that I am experienced with. Money, training, and liability. Some agencies will allow different models as long as it is the same caliber. Example Sig, 229, 239, etc all in .40.

When our chief came to capital planning looking for new sigs in 40 S&W it was because "all the other area dept's had switched to that cartridge and if they were ever in a shootout at a bank etc. they could all throw each other a magazine when pinned down by withering fire".We (capital planning) thought they just wanted new toys. Up until then they all carried there own personal weapons. They got them.

If you were in a prolonged gun fight and other people shot up all there ammo, would you start giving away your spare ammo ?

From what I have seen most departments in mass do not allow officers to choose a sidearm (generally speaking). I have seen some (one) in CT carrying a 1911.

In Wellfleet, MA officers are allowed to carry any handgun they can qualify with from an approved list of calibers (no .22's, etc.). The chief's thinking is that different types of people prefer different types of gun, and it's their life that'll depend on it, not his.

In Wellfleet, MA officers are allowed to carry any handgun they can qualify with from an approved list of calibers (no .22's, etc.). The chief's thinking is that different types of people prefer different types of gun, and it's their life that'll depend on it, not his.

interesting. I thought they were issued glocks. I also noted the Chief of wellfleet is a regular poster on Glocktalk.

Quote:The Tacoma, Washington PD started issuing Kimber 1911s in 2001 and to the best of my knowledge they still do.

I was there in 2005, and they still had them, I'll ask my Brother, he lives in Lakewood, WA. which is next town over...

interesting. I thought they were issued glocks. I also noted the Chief of wellfleet is a regular poster on Glocktalk.

I read him write that on Glocktalk. [laugh]

It may be that they issue Glocks, but you can qualify with anything else that's chambered in something serious and carry that if you like it better.

April 24, 2006

The Boston Police Department's Entry & Apprehension Team has placed its order for the new Revolution 1911 which will be their new duty pistol. SIG was notified by the Deputy Superintendent Thomas Lee, Commander, Special Operations of the Boston Police Department, back on the first of February. In his fax he noted that the Revolution was selected "after extensive testing and evaluation from our firearms instructors of several different 1911 pistols."

Ammo failure's happen, but at least with a semi you have more ammo on hand if something like that happens.

ya. I still cant believe that guy survived five 357 rds to center mass and that poor trooper died from one 22 round that snuck under his arm.

I dunno if they still do it now, but the FBI used to have two lists of guns that agents could carry. One was the "on duty" list" and the other was an "off duty" list.

-Mike

Yes you can carry any firearm which you qualify with.
Not universally true - it depends on the department. Even in departments that allow personally acquired weapons, requirements for firing pin blocks and/or exclusion of cocked and locked single actions are not unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom