Umbrella Policy

Knob Creek

NES Member
Just got the renewal application for my Umbrella liability Policy. In addition to asking about "Do I have any dogs, please list number and Breeds".
They are asking for a list of any firearms and how they are stored.

Yeah...and? Your insurance company is a private business and they are bean counters. In our litigous society they have to factor in everything. It isn't about ideology it is about $$$$$ (profit for them). Sadly how you store your firearms and what breeds of dogs you have factor into this. You might not like it. If you feel that it is too intrusive then change carriers (if you can find one) that doesn't demand that information from you.

It is what it is my friend. Welcome to the Brave New World.

The shitstorm is coming !

Mark056

You have some choices to make, then. You can fess up and probably pay a higher premium. You can shop around for insurers without such a disclosure requirement, or you can be dishonest and risk voiding your policy or worse.

I'd shop around first.

Just got the renewal application for my Umbrella liability Policy. In addition to asking about "Do I have any dogs, please list number and Breeds".
They are asking for a list of any firearms and how they are stored.

It's a liability policy, for underwriting reasons they want to ensure that they're stored in a manner designed to lessen the possibility of a ND. Since you live in MA you're all set because all of your guns are stored in full compliance with all MA safe storage laws.

For how they're stored, "State approved locking safe" is all they need to know.

Spoke to my Insurance Agent and explained my reluctance to provide this information as far as the listing and number of firearms. She suggested that I just say "Yes I have firearms and they are in a locked safe". If the Insurance company comes back for more information she will look for another company that does not require this information

Here's the question that hasn't been tried in court yet:

If the government passes a registry requirement, will they force insurance companies to send such disclosures to them for the purpose of comparing to a federal registry?

Will the courts uphold the privacy of such information or will they force private insurance companies to report such disclosures to them?

This is an issue we all face since home owners insurance policies have significant limits on firearms without a specific, seperate rider that often requires documented appraisal of specific weapons.

Spoke to my Insurance Agent and explained my reluctance to provide this information as far as the listing and number of firearms. She suggested that I just say "Yes I have firearms and they are in a locked safe". If the Insurance company comes back for more information she will look for another company that does not require this information

I was asked that shortly after I added an umbrella policy to my homeowners Insurance. It also asked that I "list" the firearms. I had enough of a problem even telling them I had firearms, but did not want to lie for fear of voiding my policy if something occured and they found out. I simply said "yes, handguns and long guns stored in a fire resistant safe". The never came back looking for an actual list, but I do get the same questionaire every year at renewal and just continue to answer it that way. On the plus side, they just increased some of the limits they will pay out for claims and one of them was firearm coverage increased from $3000 to $5000!

Back
Top Bottom