• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

List of firearms on Umbrella Policy renewal?

SparkyP

NES Member
I just got a questionnaire for renewing my umbrella policy. They're asking if I own firearms, and if yes, for a list of items and how they're stored. Is this common practice? I've never seen this before, and don't particularly want to fill it in.

And the box is WAY too small, lol

Capture3.PNG

Anyone else been through this?

Is the policy covering these hypothetical firearms from loss? Either way, I'd reach out to your agent and find out why this is on the document. IF they are going to cover these items, are they going to provide [full] replacement cost?

Let me guess, you're living in the PRM... See more firearm questions on forms (recently added) than in free states.

you would think they fall under personal property.

I asked my insurance company one time why they value my personal property so high and I don't even have 1/4 the value of stuff they day I have.
they said its a state mandate, personal property has to be some whatever percentage of the homes value.
We have a nice house in a nice town, so we get nailed with insurance. :rolleyes:

I have never seen a carrier ask either on the homeowners policy or umbrella. I’m curious who the insurance company is.

<edit> and I’d find a new provider. This is not standard industry practice although it wouldn’t surprise me if more carriers started asking.

Last edited:
I would think that if you say you don't have any and they get damaged or stolen, they are very unlikely to pay out.
As much as I wouldn't like them knowing I do think they have a right to know what they are covering. It's insurance for what you own, not charity. It's a business and they want to know their exposure.
Of course you have the right to change carriers to one that doesn't ask.

you would think they fall under personal property.

I asked my insurance company one time why they value my personal property so high and I don't even have 1/4 the value of stuff they day I have.
they said its a state mandate, personal property has to be some whatever percentage of the homes value.
We have a nice house in a nice town, so we get nailed with insurance. :rolleyes:
There‘s no state mandate, it‘s industry practice. There’s no state requirement to even have homeowners insurance.

The basic homeowners policy comes w/ 50% of the dwelling coverage for contents but most people have a preferred coverage endorsement increasing it to 70% (which comes w a few other things you’ll actually want). If you live in a nice town your insurance is actually cheaper, although your dwelling coverage is probably higher. The same value home in a shit town will cost more.

I would think that if you say you don't have any and they get damaged or stolen, they are very unlikely to pay out.
As much as I wouldn't like them knowing I do think they have a right to know what they are covering. It's insurance for what you own, not charity. It's a business and they want to know their exposure.
Of course you have the right to change carriers to one that doesn't ask.
They’re asking for liabilty reasons not because they’re worried about covering your guns. The standard homeowners policy only includes a couple/few grand for loss by theft of firearms & the umbrella policy which is what the OP posted about doesn’t cover any personal property, only liability.

They don’t really care about pools as long as they’re fenced/gated and that you don’t have a diving board or slide
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Why even bother?

You can answer any way you like, or refuse to answer, just know they’re not stupid and you could find yourself on the wrong end of a claim if you play games. Not that I’d rely on an Umbrella to pay in most firearms related liability situations anyway.

Last edited:
I have never seen a carrier ask either on the homeowners policy or umbrella. I’m curious who the insurance company is.

<edit> and I’d find a new provider. This is not standard industry practice although it wouldn’t surprise me if more carriers started asking.
Isn’t it SOP above a certain amount? I think mine is like 15 grand or something, after that id need a “rider”. but i haven’t checked my last homeowner’s.

Isn’t it SOP above a certain amount? I think mine is like 15 grand or something, after that id need a “rider”. but i haven’t checked my last homeowner’s.
Your conflating property coverage for the gunz & liability coverage. Most carriers limits loss by theft at a $1,500 - $2,000. Some will allow you to increase to $5k or $10k and beyond that you need to schedule them on your policy.

That has zero to do w liability coverage. OP is talking about a question on his umbrella liability policy and they’re asking him to list his guns and what how he stores them. That’s pure BS.

My insurance company asked me if a West Highland White Terrier (RIP) was another name for a pit bull.

Not my dog, but a breed example:

View attachment 771420
You’d be surprised at how people try and disguise pit bull terriers when you ask. American terrier, staffordshire terrier, AmStaf. If someone says terrier that I have never heard of, I’ll ask for more info. I have never heard of a highland terrier so I’d have probably asked too or googled it while on the phone w them.

Back
Top Bottom