If an employer's policy says No Firearms in the building. Can I legally Conceal Carry?

i worked second shift in a small anti gun company located in a isolated 495 area and another one under the same situation. there were only few other employees present and always suspicious outside night time activity going on. i quietly carried a smith j frame ti-lite with a few speed loaders in both places, nobody knew and never got caught, concealed means concealed
Yep and stfu and tell nobody. Nobody.

I go through our corporate handbook every year and it has yet to have a section regarding firearms. Even if it said they were specifically allowed I wouldn’t tell anyone if I was carrying in the office. Too many rabid libs in my office, or too many folks who would get spooked. I remember whipping out my spyderco military to open a box once and this one woman gasped when she saw it, so I keep a small victorinox midnight manager on me for stuff like that when people are around. my iT guy came into my office later laughing and pulled out one of those trench knives with brass knuckles on it from out of his boot and said, “that’s not a knife. This is a knife!”

That depends upon the state. If you are talking about MA and the employer is a private enterprise (i.e., not a school or other prohibited location), then you are not breaking a law by carrying in contravention of their policies.

That said, if they discover that you are carrying, they will likely fire you and tell you to leave. If you fail to leave, then you would be trespassing.

I'm not a lawyer, but this question was run by my company's lawyer (well, actually, my prompt was about someone conceal carrying a stick up their ass, but he was nice enough to give me a thorough answer). This is correct on the trespassing aspect. If there's not a policy on the books at the time of the incident, you could argue against any punishment up to and including termination. In MA you won't win this argument. In my company's office NO GODDAMN EMPLOYEE OF MINE IS GONNA CARRY A .40 -- more seriously, our policy is to not carry to a customer site (insurance reasons) and unofficial policy is if I see you with a Taurus pistol, I'm gonna ask you to not shake your leg at your desk (workplace safety reasons).

As a NH resident I couldn’t carry in Mass. I worked in Mass and the company had a no guns rule but I knew of three people that carried. I knew exactly who I was going to find for protection if there was a shooter.

I have the right to bear arms. It's unfortunate they would fire me for exercising my rights just like others their religion at work
Unfortunate, but WTF it's their private property.

You have just as much right to ban smoking or wearing outdoor shoes in your own home.

Conceal. And don't talk about it with who you think is a friendly, there.

Now that I no longer work for a big box store, I carried and just accepted the fact that if caught I'd lose my close to minimum wage job. My perspective was simply this job isn't worth my life.

If I was getting paid paid, I'd be a little more cautious. I'm pretty sure a couple people knew, but I didn't say jack.

The local schools are 'protected' by an automatic felony if you bring a firearm onto the campus. I feel so much safer just thinking about it.

Hell, I may have already said this in this thread, no looking back through it to see.

I went and looked it up. You're right, the sign says felony but on paper it's a Class C misdemeanor, 30 days max.

Guess the signs worked on me :p.

Edit: Nope, Class E felony.

Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.​

(a) As used in this section, “weapon of like kind” includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.
(b)
  • (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, operated, or while in use by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.
  • (2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.
1-6 years. I'm sure being the demographic I am, I'd get the full monty 6 years.

Last edited:
Yep and stfu and tell nobody. Nobody.

I go through our corporate handbook every year and it has yet to have a section regarding firearms. Even if it said they were specifically allowed I wouldn’t tell anyone if I was carrying in the office. Too many rabid libs in my office, or too many folks who would get spooked. I remember whipping out my spyderco military to open a box once and this one woman gasped when she saw it, so I keep a small victorinox midnight manager on me for stuff like that when people are around. my iT guy came into my office later laughing and pulled out one of those trench knives with brass knuckles on it from out of his boot and said, “that’s not a knife. This is a knife!”
Gotta watch out for the it guys... i carry a boot knife a folder a box cutter and a gun at work lol

Get some plates and put them in your laptop bag. Unfortunately it’s the best that you can do with the other restrictions.

I’m actually more worried about public transit, much more captive group of people. Especially underground.

Get some plates and put them in your laptop bag. Unfortunately it’s the best that you can do with the other restrictions.

I’m actually more worried about public transit, much more captive group of people. Especially underground.
Armored republic has bags like that... also get a bag with a pocket for your gun

In the average office nobody rubs into each other.

I need to keep OPSEC but in my job we work side by side.

It would be Joe Biden's dream job.

The only reason I lasted so long there is because I act appropriately with the ladies.

That means no sexual harassment on any level or any innuendo or meddling in the affairs of the ladies.

It's not a school or a place where there is hugging or anything like that.

There is also lots of bending and body motion where "printing" would be obvious to anybody.

Dude I'm on other end of 116 from you, are you really referring to what you do as OPSEC? You do the opposite of flying under radar. Licking mustard directly off of bread is the opposite of keeping a low profile.

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, but this question was run by my company's lawyer (well, actually, my prompt was about someone conceal carrying a stick up their ass, but he was nice enough to give me a thorough answer). This is correct on the trespassing aspect. If there's not a policy on the books at the time of the incident, you could argue against any punishment up to and including termination. In MA you won't win this argument. In my company's office NO GODDAMN EMPLOYEE OF MINE IS GONNA CARRY A .40 -- more seriously, our policy is to not carry to a customer site (insurance reasons) and unofficial policy is if I see you with a Taurus pistol, I'm gonna ask you to not shake your leg at your desk (workplace safety reasons).

Does your insurance policy specifically mention this issue?

@Rob Boudrie beat me to it.

I'd guess that "our insurance company prohibits it....." is guess-assumption or just used an an excuse right up there with "I would love to let you but I wrote myself a memo prohibiting it....".

It is inconceivable to me that an insurance company would cover damage from accidental shooting, collateral damage from legit shootings or even lawful defensive shootings in the workplace, but not by an employee at a customer site. If anyone knows of such a policy, I would love to see an example.

Does your insurance policy specifically mention this issue?
When on a customer site, we play 100% by their rules or we don't go on site. IIRC (and I'm not a lawyer), we're liable for any actions that our employees do that is within their scope of responsibilities only -- one of our insurance policies is for employee actions/injuries. Since there's no business reason for my employees to bring their own guns to work, I think if they glock legged themselves at a customer site, it would be on them and the insurance of the customer because it happened on their premises.

Leaving off specifics because I like to keep my shitposting online accounts somewhat separate from my "real life"

Since there's no business reason for my employees to bring their own guns to work, I think if they glock legged themselves at a customer site, it would be on them and the insurance of the customer because it happened on their premises.
Acutually, no. Even if they are acting against policy, the company has liability for actions that take while working on your behalf. Perhaps not if they shoot themselves, but certainly if they accidentally perforate someone else.

Your answer, while reasonable, did not address my question if there was a policy provision regarding guns at customer sites of if the insurance issue was a fabrication. "We comply with customers requirements" is actually a very reasonable justification for unarmed at customer site policy.

Acutually, no. Even if they are acting against policy, the company has liability for actions that take while working on your behalf. Perhaps not if they shoot themselves, but certainly if they accidentally perforate someone else.

Your answer, while reasonable, did not address my question if there was a policy provision regarding guns at customer sites of if the insurance issue was a fabrication. "We comply with customers requirements" is actually a very reasonable justification for unarmed at customer site policy.
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about what my business liability insurance covers due to there being no employment-related reason to carry a firearm (respondeat superior) and us having a policy to not carry to a customer site. If you take a company car to a bar on a Sunday, get loaded, then drive it into a tree, your employer's liability insurance is not gonna foot your legal fees. If you're a lawyer, please correct me.

If it's a fabrication, then it wasn't concocted by me. It could be boiled down from someone having lower rates for having policies against weapons on campus.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about what my business liability insurance covers due to there being no employment-related reason to carry a firearm (respondeat superior) and us having a policy to not carry to a customer site. If you take a company car to a bar on a Sunday, get loaded, then drive it into a tree, your employer's liability insurance is not gonna foot your legal fees. If you're a lawyer, please correct me.

If it's a fabrication, then it wasn't concocted by me. It could be boiled down from someone having lower rates for having policies against weapons on campus.
I am not a lawyer. I have a decent understanding of how things work, but am by no means an authoritative source.

In general the owner of a car is liable for what happens when they loan it out. Loan your personal car to a neighbor and they turn someone into an amp or a quad, you're going to get sued and your insurance company will defend or pay. Of course, they will be targeted as well. Ditto if they cause property damage, though that is usually settled with a claim rather than litigation. As to a company car, it may depend of if you have permission to be using the car. But, this is related to vehicle - business is going to be related to someone acting "on behalf of the business" and loaning a vehicle may be enough to bring a claim under that policy. Maybe.

What was interesting about the insurance claim was not the issue of weapons on campus, but the suggestion that insurance covered weapons at your office but not at the customer site. When someone is at the employer site, or customer site, it is generally undisputed that they are acting on behalf of the employer.

Last edited:
As to a company car, it may depend of if you have permission to be using the car. But, this is related to vehicle - business is going to be related to someone acting "on behalf of the business" and loaning a vehicle may be enough to bring a claim under that policy. Maybe.

This is where the usage of the company asset or action of an employee matters.

If a customer car gets damaged because an accountant was playing with a quadcopter drone and kamikazes it into the parking lot, the first port of call will be the commercial insurance for the premises, then the employer's policy, IIRC. The employer's insurance will then see if there's an employment/job function reason for the drone usage (no), then if there's some other work-related reason, such as a drone racing club organized by said employer. I have worked with lawyers on an incident similar to this where someone injured himself and damaged personal property while at work, but f***ing around on the clock. While he was on company property, on company time, the consequences were solely on him.

What was interesting about the insurance claim was not the issue of weapons on campus, but the suggestion that insurance covered weapons at your office but not at the customer site. When someone is at the employer site, or customer site, it is generally undisputed that they are acting on behalf of the employer.

They are a representative of the company, but not all of their actions are on the behalf of the employer. If someone hired to be an armed rent-a-cop sends a round into the floor, that's absolutely on his employer. If a doordash food delivery guy does the same, then probably not (due to respondeat superior). Various insurances want policies in place to increase their ability to lawyer their way out of footing a bill and the most simple policies are blanket policies, so here we are.

Quit what? You can legally quit your job unless you have some kind of legally binding contract.
ya, that was the point.... if its employment at will (no legally-binding obligation) then either side can end the employment relationship. if employer calls a no firearm policy and you violate, they are allowed to terminate and if employee doesn't agree with policy, then they are allowed to terminate.

I carried though work rules stated it was verboten. That's nice as for most of the employees (especially the ones that write the rules) were 9-5 accept my department which on many occasions stayed overnight and/or left at 2-3 in the morning. I kept a 642 in an ankle holster and a speed strip in my pocket. May not be the best carry option but I found it the best one by way of concealment. If I was wearing a coat, I'd simply transfer it to my coats pocket when I left and vice versa.

ya, that was the point.... if its employment at will (no legally-binding obligation) then either side can end the employment relationship. if employer calls a no firearm policy and you violate, they are allowed to terminate and if employee doesn't agree with policy, then they are allowed to terminate.

My company went as far as to require you to sign off that you received the latest employee handbook and that you've read and understand everything in it. Page 7 in big bold letters is a sentence stating that firearms are strictly prohibited from all company properly. Basically they have you over a barrel if they catch you with a firearm.

You could be the biggest hero taking out a shooter in the building and saving dozens of lives, but in the end you'd still get fired for violating company policy.

My company went as far as to require you to sign off that you received the latest employee handbook and that you've read and understand everything in it. Page 7 in big bold letters is a sentence stating that firearms are strictly prohibited from all company properly. Basically they have you over a barrel if they catch you with a firearm.

You could be the biggest hero taking out a shooter in the building and saving dozens of lives, but in the end you'd still get fired for violating company policy.
its true. most companies have that type of sign off in the hand book so that you can say u didnt know it was against policy to ask a co-worker for a bj in exchange for a better job lol, guns, time off etc etc. i'm thinking that the bank in Louisville, KY that had its 23 year old employee shoot the place up and kill his coworkers either didn't have a no gun policy or didn't get the proper sign-off caz policies like that keep everyone safe, right? Crazy times brother

Back
Top Bottom