Uber Bans Guns Carried By Drivers And Passengers In Policy Update

The real issue:

Is it easier to sue Uber because they allowed someone to carry and something bad happened, or easier to sue Uber because they followed the standard employment practice of banning carry?

Uber, you can rob him us, cause we're unarmed!

Unlike taxi drivers, Uber drivers don't take payment. Not cash. Not even credit cards. All payment is handled between the user's phone and the Uber company servers. In addition, to make a reservation for an Uber ride, you have to register with your phone and a valid credit card. So that makes a would-be thief easy to track.

So Uber drivers aren't the same kind of target as a taxi driver.

No, I'm not saying that I wouldn't carry if I was an Uber driver -- if I was an Uber driver, of course I would carry because I always do. But this isn't as high a risk as driving a cab.

Sooooo... guy calls Uber driver. Driver shows up and guy pulls gun and robs driver. Driver yells " You are now banned from using Uber forever!"

Awesome. How do I become a driver again?

Unlike taxi drivers, Uber drivers don't take payment. Not cash. Not even credit cards. All payment is handled between the user's phone and the Uber company servers. In addition, to make a reservation for an Uber ride, you have to register with your phone and a valid credit card. So that makes a would-be thief easy to track.

So Uber drivers aren't the same kind of target as a taxi driver.

No, I'm not saying that I wouldn't carry if I was an Uber driver -- if I was an Uber driver, of course I would carry because I always do. But this isn't as high a risk as driving a cab.

But uber drivers sit on the side of the road or parking lots waiting for rides, when I drive at night I worry more about a car jacker or a non uber person. 85% of our passengers here are women

But uber drivers sit on the side of the road or parking lots waiting for rides, when I drive at night I worry more about a car jacker or a non uber person. 85% of our passengers here are women

Yup. I'm not saying there is no risk. Just that the risk is less than a taxi driver.

Yup. I'm not saying there is no risk. Just that the risk is less than a taxi driver.

I hate to say it, but this sounds to me like the same type of argument that antis make when they scream for outlawing private gun sales. I know you don't mean it that way.

As far as I'm concerned, the risk is the same. Because people are the problem. And they'll get a gun whether they have to input a CC# and a phone number or not.

I hate to say it, but this sounds to me like the same type of argument that antis make when they scream for outlawing private gun sales. I know you don't mean it that way. As far as I'm concerned, the risk is the same. Because people are the problem. And they'll get a gun whether they have to input a CC# and a phone number or not.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The risk for a taxi driver is much higher.

Does that mean an Uber driver shouldn't carry? No, of course not.

An interesting story, but...

On Wednesday, an Uber driver in Queens was robbed by a man who allegedly got in his car, pointed a rifle at him, and demanded his money.

Someone who is of sufficiently modest means to be driving Uber will absolutely not have the connections or clout to get a full carry NYC handgun license, so the ban is irrelevant in this case.

Because LA has absolutely no crime for the LAPD to investigate apparently, they are now going after Uber drivers.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015...-in-lapd-sting-call-their-arrests-entrapment/

Each of the men said they were flagged down by a woman on the side of the road who was looking for a ride. The drivers explained they stopped to pick the customer up as they thought she could use the app right then and there if they pulled over.However, the woman did not have the Uber app, and she insisted on having a ride.

The drivers went on to explain she was an undercover cop trying to catch “bandit cabs” who accept off the books rides for cash. Therefore, using the app to order the ride would have been okay.

“A lady vigorously waved me down,” Freeman said.

Chadwick interjected, “I almost thought she maybe needed help or something.

“She said, ‘Uber?!’ according to Lomeli. “I said, ‘Yeah, Uber.'”

Lomeli said, “Then the girl opened my back door. She said, ‘Come on, I really need to go to this place. I really need to go, please.

'”
Freeman said, “She said, ‘I have a friend across the street, let me wave her over.'”

My door was open and, next thing I know, the cops are behind with the sirens on,” Chadwick said.

Police arrested all three drivers and impounded their vehicles.

Last edited:
That specific example does sound like entrapment.

But in general, if an Uber driver picks up someone without using the Uber app, that is probably to rip the customer off. How else will they know how much to charge?

My wife was just scammed by an Uber driver in NYC. One came up to her and asked her if she needed a ride. She did need a ride, and was about to push the Uber button on her Uber app. The driver told her not to, that he would handle it. This was her first time using Uber, so she didn't know this was unusual. He brought her to the airport and charged her $90 using a credit-card app. This would have been a $35 taxi ride.

Sounds like the crack-down is on Uber-drivers scamming people with off-the book rides.

Last edited:
If I ever did Uber, or similar service, I'd install a 2-way (interior, exterior) dashcam, with audio and appropriate notification.

The question at hand is which is more attractive to contingency fee counsel:

1. A ride sharing service allows drivers with CCWs to be armed, but does not put in place an extensive training and regular qualification program, and some innocent (or someone just turning their life around) gets plugged by an Uber driver

or

2. Uber bans guns and a driver is killed in a robbery

My guess is contingency fee counsel would much rather get case #1 than #2.

I have no idea what Uber is and don't really give a damn. I suspect it's some kind of metro car loaner....since I avoid cities like the plague I guess I don't need to worry how ****ed up Uber is

Stupid beyond words. Translation: Our lawyers and liability insurers don't care if you die while working for us provided we don't get sued.

Seconded. Uber is already in a shit storm over employment status in multiple lawsuits, having driver "policies" will only weaken their position.

Uber is already in a shit storm over employment status in multiple lawsuits
Lots of that going around. Another biggie is Fedex Home Delivery (formerly independent contractors; Fedex lost a few suits so it how requires shell companies)

Well I just started driving for Uber the other day because I needed to try it out incase I go on strike in 2 weeks with my real job and I carry every time. It's my car no one is gonna tell me not to carry my gun :)

Some what off topic....

But where employees are not allowed effective means of protection...

What is a company's liability when/if something happens?

Is there some sort of precedence? Or does it all fall under "the police will protect you"?

You are correct. You really don't know what Uber is.

Which doesn't stop him from making a meaningless comment in the thread.

As to Uber. In some areas it will work, in some it will fail. Like most businesses. I see that one former Boston area driver is now suspected in up to six sexual assaults, including one on a female Uber passenger. DNA has connected him to rapes going back about 10 years.

I wonder how extensive a background check Uber does on it's non employee, employees? This isn't to say that regular cab drivers can't be and some are, sketchy. To say the least.

If I were an Uber passenger and was in a place where I could carry, there is no way I wouldn't. If I were an Uber driver - well I'd be pretty depressed about some of my previous life choices.

She might be able to contest the charge. That aside, this is pretty much the same that cab drivers do when they "Ride the Flag". The don't flip the lever (push the button these days) that starts the meter so that there is no record that the ride ever took place. They tell the passenger that they will give them a discount if they pay cash. The passenger runs the risk of getting ripped off, but then again, the driver runs the risk of getting stiffed if the passenger just say "So long" and takes off.

That specific example does sound like entrapment.

But in general, if an Uber driver picks up someone without using the Uber app, that is probably to rip the customer off. How else will they know how much to charge?

My wife was just scammed by an Uber driver in NYC. One came up to her and asked her if she needed a ride. She did need a ride, and was about to push the Uber button on her Uber app. The driver told her not to, that he would handle it. This was her first time using Uber, so she didn't know this was unusual. He brought her to the airport and charged her $90 using a credit-card app. This would have been a $35 taxi ride.

Sounds like the crack-down is on Uber-drivers scamming people with off-the book rides.

Which doesn't stop him from making a meaningless comment in the thread. As to Uber. In some areas it will work, in some it will fail. Like most businesses. I see that one former Boston area driver is now suspected in up to six sexual assaults, including one on a female Uber passenger. DNA has connected him to rapes goig back about 10 years. I wonder how extensive a background check Uber does on it's non employee, employees? This isn't to say that regular cab drivers can't be and some are, sketchy. To say the least. If I were an Uber passenger and was in a place where I could carry, there is no way I wouldn't. If I were an Uber driver - well I'd be pretty depressed about some of my previous life choices.

Not too long ago in Boston a van driver for one of the van services that does Logan runs drove into a secluded area and raped his passenger. And that was a livery service with a CDL licensed driver. So it isn't clear to me whether Uber is any better or worse in this regard.

As to Uber. In some areas it will work, in some it will fail

It'd only fail in areas where cab service is cheap and not retarded. What's that, like .02% of the world? Cabs are completely ****ing terrible in most places. If they weren't, then Uber wouldn't be as popular as it is.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom