Uber Bans Guns Carried By Drivers And Passengers In Policy Update

Tried to get into their legal page but couldn't because it wanted to run scripts. Does anyone know if their page says that they are responsible for your safety if you use their service? Yeah. I thought not. So they will not ensure your safety but will ensure that you do not ensure your own safety. People pay for this?

+1 I can't think of a better time to carry than when entering a strangers car or having strangers enter mine. How would one handle someone pointing a gun at them after already having been seated in your car?

That is a very bad situation. That said, since Uber drivers don't get paid in cash, I think they are less of a target than cabbies.

As others have said I don't see how Uber can have this policy when they technically don't have "employees".

As others have said I don't see how Uber can have this policy when they technically don't have "employees".

They have a contract with the drivers. The contract specifies certain things the drivers have to do. I don't see why that is so surprising.

That said, I would expect any rational Uber drivers and passengers to simply ignore this policy. It can only be enforced after the fact, at which time they will have far more important matters to deal with than Uber's silly policy.

They have a contract with the drivers. The contract specifies certain things the drivers have to do. I don't see why that is so surprising.

That said, I would expect any rational Uber drivers and passengers to simply ignore this policy. It can only be enforced after the fact, at which time they will have far more important matters to deal with than Uber's silly policy.

What is that saying Id rather have my contract terminated from Uber then be carried by 6?

People who own guns will continue to carry concealed, Uber has their ass covered, and antis feel safe. Not really worth getting worked up about.

There is no size requirement for 30:06 signs other than that each letter must be a minimum of 1" high. The warning wording might dictate a large sign because the statute requires exact wording. OTOH, under TX trespass law the owner can make an oral statement that concealed carry is prohibited and that is also binding. There is new wording regarding open carry also.

Some states with binding signage have very specific requirements as to the wording and side of the notice. For Uber to comply in TX, it would need a sign about 30inx40in on all public entrances (ie, both sides of the car) for it to be binding.

Hipsters do not approve.

af0424ab08c5ea387db15cd3593735b37809bdc7690e19a2f9e267c0abf787ba.jpg

they should have a feature where a driver can list that he is a permit holder (not explicitly stating armed). you can choose to use him/her or not.

If I'm driving for Uber, I'll CCW regardless of what their policy says. I can lose that "job" if I got found out, but I'm not risking losing my life because some idiot company is trying to cover their ass.
Same of Lyft.

There is no size requirement for 30:06 signs other than that each letter must be a minimum of 1" high. The warning wording might dictate a large sign because the statute requires exact wording. OTOH, under TX trespass law the owner can make an oral statement that concealed carry is prohibited and that is also binding. There is new wording regarding open carry also.
That is what I was referring to. When I was in TX, I saw one sign that was compliant (on a hospital door), and other (for example, at the Dallas Book Depository Museum) that weren't even close. Remember, the sign must not only be compliant in font side/wording, but (in TX) must also be at all public entrances.

they should have a feature where a driver can list that he is a permit holder (not explicitly stating armed). you can choose to use him/her or not.

No thank you. If I was a driver, I absolutely would not want anyone to know that had a concealed carry permit.

It is quite likely Uber could be successfully sued if they allowed a driver to carry without imposing any training standards, first aid training, etc. on a driver ... especially when it would be trivial to find many HR expert to testify that "total gun ban in workplace except for CEO protective detail" is the industry standard.

Must be in english AND spanish, too. Most places don't post because legit PC 30.06 signage is obnoxious.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Completely terrible idea. Not to mention like M1911 says, anyone with a brain that works for these companies would never out themselves, even if they didn't have an anti policy, so its effectively worthless.

-Mike

Must be in english AND spanish, too. Most places don't post because legit PC 30.06 signage is obnoxious.

-Mike

I've never seen on in Spanish, even when they were more common. I've only ever seen one red 51% sign. That was last year at "South Fork" ranch, where parts of "Dallas" were filmed. It's mostly a function hall and museum now and the function hall was posted for a wedding being held later the day we were there. When I first started going to TX on a regular basis about 10 years ago, a lot of places were posted, but again, only in English. Now, very few places that I see are posted other than with the stupid signs that say that illegal carrying of firearms is prohibited. I know that's part of the law as well, but it's pretty silly.

I also saw a brief reference to a change to the law concerning open carry, since that will soon be legal in Texas. 30.06 clearly references concealed carry only. I don't know any details about that.

I've never seen on in Spanish, even when they were more common. I've only ever seen one red 51% sign. That was last year at "South Fork" ranch, where parts of "Dallas" were filmed. It's mostly a function hall and museum now and the function hall was posted for a wedding being held later the day we were there. When I first started going to TX on a regular basis about 10 years ago, a lot of places were posted, but again, only in English. Now, very few places that I see are posted other than with the stupid signs that say that illegal carrying of firearms is prohibited. I know that's part of the law as well, but it's pretty silly.

I also saw a brief reference to a change to the law concerning open carry, since that will soon be legal in Texas. 30.06 clearly references concealed carry only. I don't know any details about that.

The funny thing is the law clearly says english and spanish.... if it don't have both, it's legally invalid. Most PC 30.06 signs are invalid because the poster doesn't follow the law. Either it's missing spanish, the letters are too small, or they do silly things like leave an unposted entrance.

-Mike

It is quite likely Uber could be successfully sued if they allowed a driver to carry without imposing any training standards, first aid training, etc. on a driver ... especially when it would be trivial to find many HR expert to testify that "total gun ban in workplace except for CEO protective detail" is the industry standard.

If they shut their mouth about it they'd probably be fine, but the fact that they have a policy makes it difficult for them to just ignore the issue if they ever wanted to reverse it.

The "no guns allowed" policy by many employers is just lawyerism bullcrap more than it is from some kind of ironclad liability protection. It make some douchey corporate lawyer feel good so it gets put in a policy manual, etc. If they're not salaried they probably get more billable hours for that page of the manual, etc.

-Mike

Or they use a "ghost busters" style sign which is totally illegal. I just found the new section on trespass while open carrying. It's essentially the same as 30.07, including having to be in English and Spanish. Violating either section is punishable by a $200.00 fine. The owner can also verbally inform a person that guns are not allowed, but I don't see that being too effective.

Texas3006 tracks signage, including whether or not the signs are legal.

The funny thing is the law clearly says english and spanish.... if it don't have both, it's legally invalid. Most PC 30.06 signs are invalid because the poster doesn't follow the law. Either it's missing spanish, the letters are too small, or they do silly things like leave an unposted entrance.

-Mike

I only use uber on a rare occasion of going into boston to drink. so I wont have my firearm anyway. Yeah its a bullshit policy but thats all it is policy not a law. dont tell anyone, if you have to use it then you will most likely have bigger issues then losing your petty cash side gig.

Back
Top Bottom