Trying to buy ammo in California? Ouch!

I watched a video created by a fellow shooter in California regarding new ammo laws going into effect as of June 1st. To say they are onerous would be an understatement.

When you wish to purchase any ammo, you'll have to submit to a background check AND pay $1 for the privilege. It should only take 15-20 seconds for an approval. Then you will receive a receipt that you'll have to sign that will show every detail of the purchase: who you are, what you bought, etc., etc. and one copy will be forwarded to the government. If, however, you are denied, you will have to pay $19 for a more extensive background and wait days for the purchase to go through if it does. What would trigger a denial? Well, you HAVE to register your guns in California. If you are buying ammo for, say, that old Parker shotgun you use twice a year but it's not registered, you'll trigger a denial. You can't buy ammo for a gun you don't have registered. Can you imagine all that crap!!??
The Fudds out there who figure that no one "needs" an AR will find that they will never again be able to buy their shells without registering their beloved smoothbores. Don't think of buying out of state, either. That's just illegal in that state.

Coming to state near you I'm sure!

Is it illegal to buy ammo out of state for Californians, or for them to import ammo from another state, even if legally purchased?

It will be illegal for any Californian to purchase ammo out of state and bring it back from what I understand. The purchases can only be accomplished through licensed vendors.

Too early to tell if it'll go that far. These rules don't start until later in the year. There's an article in one of the recent NRA mags about the fact that Governor Brown vetoed a number of anti-gun bills during his terms. This new governor, however, Gavin Newsom, is about as anti-gun as you can get and life is about to get even more miserable for legal gun owners in Cali.

I agree 100% There are too many ways around these crappy laws. Even here if I need misc items I have friends in other "Free" states who will gladly order for me. California feels that these new ammo restrictions will hobble the bad guys so they can't go into their local WalMart and buy their 9mm ammo. Yep, that'll foil them. Actually what they will do is target victims that HAVE ammo and steal it. So much for slowing them down, right?

My wife and I honeymooned in San Francisco 38 year ago and clearly recall just how magical that city was back then. We've visited about 8 years ago and didn't recognize it. Today, you could not give me a ticket to that hell-hole. The looney toons have take over the city and crapping and using needles in the street? You've got a lot more than ammo issues, guys. How the local population doesn't rebell against their politicians is mind-numbing.

Exactly. Are they going to search every car that comes into CA???

Remember what the MSP did/does around the 4th of July about fireworks bought in NH ? Or people from MA buying mags in NH and how now a lot of border shops check ID when buying mags ( they used to at Rileys and the shop in the NH town above Townsend at least)

I wouldn't put it past the police here in CA to do something like that.

It will be illegal for any Californian to purchase ammo out of state and bring it back from what I understand. The purchases can only be accomplished through licensed vendors.

There's more too it than that. If you take ammo out of CA, you can't legally bring it back in.
Say you travel from CA to Nevada to a trap tournament, if you have any ammo left over, you can't take it back home to CA.

Remember what the MSP did/does around the 4th of July about fireworks bought in NH ? Or people from MA buying mags in NH and how now a lot of border shops check ID when buying mags ( they used to at Rileys and the shop in the NH town above Townsend at least)

Didn’t N.H. State Police run off some MA staties who were staking out some fireworks store parking lots some years back? Or was it just their leadership that called up the MA State Police leadership and told them to stop that crap? Or am I thinking about state liquor stores?

Sure would have been fun to watch a “you’re out of your jurisdiction / my badge is better than your badge” urinary Olympics...

Exactly. Are they going to search every car that comes into CA???

All they have to do is what the MSP did with people buying liquor in NH years ago. Put a spotter in the parking lot of the nearest ammo retailers and radio back the make, model, and tag numbers of any Kommiefornia licensed vehicles. Staties stop them just over the border.

Didn’t N.H. State Police run off some MA staties who were staking out some fireworks store parking lots some years back? Or was it just their leadership that called up the MA State Police leadership and told them to stop that crap? Or am I thinking about state liquor stores?

Sure would have been fun to watch a “you’re out of your jurisdiction / my badge is better than your badge” urinary Olympics...

I think that was the liquor stings.

Yup, it was liquor. The crazy thing I found was that NY did the same thing — they sent investigators all the way from NY to stake out N.H. liquor store parking lots.

With all the crime going on in NY, they decided to send detectives to N.H. because people were buying hooch in NH. Gotta protect that tax revenue...

Last edited:
To keep people in line they'll make an example of someone bigtime and bring it to the public attention. Too bad for that guy whoever he is.

It is the height of arrogance, however, that states think they can essentially build a "law border wall" around their state and keep stuff in or stuff out. Mass has pot dispensers now. People in line admitted they were from Connecticut. What will CT do when that stuff comes pouring over the border like the MASS or NH booze? Do they really think they will stem the flow of ammo into their state by passing ignorant laws? They continue to further push otherwise law abiding citizens into the grey areas of becoming criminals. It's happen in every single anti-gun state. Ask CT or NY how many ARs were actually registered compared to what exists? How about hi-cap mags? Think there are a million plus in this state that were dutifully registered? Honest to God the ignorance exhibited by these politicians is truly mind blowing.

You've got a lot more than ammo issues, guys. How the local population doesn't rebell against their politicians is mind-numbing.

That's what people in AZ,NM,TX says about people living in MA,NJ,CT,NY,RI and every other Democrat controlled state in the New England area.

No matter how bad it gets,nobody with a family,job and a career is going to do anything about it but make veiled threats on the internet about an armed revolution just like our forefathers prepared us for by drafting the 2nd Ammendment.

Meanwhile these "patriots" are huddled in their cubicle at work ordering crap from Amazon and funding the very person that wants to take away their liberties for a "better good" because their convenience outweighs their moral compass. Maybe if they really feel like getting radical,they will try to organize a civilized "protest" ,but taking the time to make sure all attendees conform to their idea of a model gun owner. When the majority of the so-called "patriots" spend so much time and energy buying expensive optics for their Gucci AR15 feeding their masturbatory FANTASY of being the sole survivor in a post apocalyptic USA,resistance is futile.

When "cutting the cable" and replacing it with Netflix,Amazon,HULU so you aren't actually missing any "programming" but saving $12.00 a month is seen as conquering something,is it any wonder why this country is done for ?

The most important thing right now to the vast majority of people is the bread and circus on Sunday,think about that.

Because people are stupid.

I was at a special town meeting this fall where people voted to ban marijuana shops in town. The logic used was that it was “for the children.” The people organizing this article probably got together at each other’s homes over a few beers or glasses of wine, which they likely purchased from one of the four liquor stores in town. But they don’t see the irony.

Of course, marijuana is already sold in town and has been for decades — just not legally. It will continue to be sold in town, but we just don’t get any tax revenue for it. Meanwhile, town residents that want legal weed will drive to Framingham or Marlboro.

Not sure of the outcome,only sure that they attempted to do it..I seem to recall they did pull people over when they crossed the border and popped them with fireworks though.

All they have to do is what the MSP did with people buying liquor in NH years ago. Put a spotter in the parking lot of the nearest ammo retailers and radio back the make, model, and tag numbers of any Kommiefornia licensed vehicles. Staties stop them just over the border.
Darn. Hadn't thought of that.

Well I guess this is a good time to make friends with people living in neighboring states and have ammo shipped to them then pick up at their house and drive back?

There's more too it than that. If you take ammo out of CA, you can't legally bring it back in.
Say you travel from CA to Nevada to a trap tournament, if you have any ammo left over, you can't take it back home to CA.

What a clusterf**k. Unbelievable!!

Remember what the MSP did/does around the 4th of July about fireworks bought in NH ?

This was largely proven to be more of an old wives tale, maybe it happened a few times in the 80s...?

Or people from MA buying mags in NH and how now a lot of border shops check ID when buying mags ( they used to at Rileys and the shop in the NH town above Townsend at least)

I wouldn't quantify "a lot" as like "two, or maybe 3 at the most. " It's really just SL/Old Glory and Shooters. Also at least when Ralph owned it, I was never carded for anything at Rileys. I haven't been back there since it got "sold" so I don't know what they do now. The walmarts do card for ammo, some of them do, at least. Also, that stuff isn't from enforcement, that's from "MA has cooties" stuff on the part of the sellers.

CA did stuff like that briefly with NV gun shows (they were trying to whack CA AWB violators this way) not sure what the deal is currently. It's still mostly unenforceable.

-Mike

Darn. Hadn't thought of that.

Well I guess this is a good time to make friends with people living in neighboring states and have ammo shipped to them then pick up at their house and drive back?

Yeah, or get a "suite XYZ" UPS drop box service in NV somewhere and have your stuff inbounded there and pick it up at your leisure.

-Mike

I wonder how many rounds of .45acp will fit into a standard teddy bear? And what will its street value be?

shy-teddy-bear-400x451-400x451.jpg

This was largely proven to be more of an old wives tale, maybe it happened a few times in the 80s...?

I wouldn't quantify "a lot" as like "two, or maybe 3 at the most. " It's really just SL/Old Glory and Shooters. Also at least when Ralph owned it, I was never carded for anything at Rileys. I haven't been back there since it got "sold" so I don't know what they do now. The walmarts do card for ammo, some of them do, at least. Also, that stuff isn't from enforcement, that's from "MA has cooties" stuff on the part of the sellers.

CA did stuff like that briefly with NV gun shows (they were trying to whack CA AWB violators this way) not sure what the deal is currently. It's still mostly unenforceable.

-Mike

I thought it was on the news ?

Or maybe manufactured news to deter people from doing it ?

When I found out I couldn't buy any M80's at a NH store,I stopped paying attention. I thought it was going to be a free for all at a NH fireworks store,but apparently freedoms are restricted in NH when it comes to certain kinds of fireworks.

Back
Top Bottom