Top Shot back tonight

I'm hoping the bow and arrow crap doesn't knock out Zins or one of the other top "Shooters" The show is Top Shot, not Top Archer. WTF get rid of the stupid bow and arrow and knife throwing crap and stick to firearms.

I'm hoping the bow and arrow crap doesn't knock out Zins or one of the other top "Shooters" The show is Top Shot, not Top Archer. WTF get rid of the stupid bow and arrow and knife throwing crap and stick to firearms.

+1

I would be bummed if Brian got knocked out because of a compound fudd bow.

What pisses me off about the show is that they refuse to have a segment that includes any of the recognized shooting disciplines. Instead of doing their make believe scenarios, have the competitors compete in recognized disciplines:

- IPSC open class
- IDPA SSP
- Bullseye
- Service Rifle
- Match Rifle
- ICORE
- Trap or skeet

I know, not dramatic enough for TV, but a shooter who got the top aggregate score competing in all of those disciplines may well earn the title Top Shot.

What pisses me off about the show is that they refuse to have a segment that includes any of the recognized shooting disciplines. Instead of doing their make believe scenarios, have the competitors compete in recognized disciplines:

- IPSC open class
- IDPA SSP
- Bullseye
- Service Rifle
- Match Rifle
- ICORE
- Trap or skeet

I know, not dramatic enough for TV, but a shooter who got the top aggregate score competing in all of those disciplines may well earn the title Top Shot.

Unfortunately, the population that would LOVE that (us) is small so they go with a show that has a bunch of different crap in it instead. The stupid drama we all hate probably attracts a fair number of people. Sad, but true... Maybe if the shooting community made enough suggestions they'll start to lean more that way.

Unfortunately, the population that would LOVE that (us) is small so they go with a show that has a bunch of different crap in it instead. The stupid drama we all hate probably attracts a fair number of people. Sad, but true... Maybe if the shooting community made enough suggestions they'll start to lean more that way.

I think the challenges so far this year are much better than last year. The only hokey one so far was the tommy gun elimination.

While I think you're right, if they made all the targets tannerite or glass jars of colored water it might draw the sheep in. [wink]

I think the challenges so far this year are much better than last year. The only hokey one so far was the tommy gun elimination.

Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the 1st season and this season so far, I was just voicing why I think they go more with the types of challenges they do versus actual shooting sports.

you can't tell me that a wall of steel type segment akin to what was at the Kelly Match wouldn't make for good TV. No explosions necessary, just a good old fashioned race, best shooter wins.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/colby-donaldson-talks-top-shot-season-two/
CD: Thanks, I appreciate the comment. The feedback that I’ve gotten from everyone, whether I’m in the hardware store or even the gun store, is that people want to talk about the show. They love to give feedback not only on the weapons but the challenges, and the interesting thing is the suggestions you get. Our armchair quarterbacks are the inspirations literally for the weapons we chose for Season 2. Half of the weapons we use on Season 2—by the way, the AR-15 comes back, it is in Season 2—were chosen because of suggestions we get, and I get personally, from the viewer. My personal stance on the AR platform rifle, and I have one in the back of my truck right now, it is the most utilitarian recreational sporting rifle that you can have….It is my favorite rifle, bar none.

hopefully these viewer comments knocked out some of the nonsense from season one, i remember watching the opening credits with one guy holding a spear and thinking to myself "please tell me some professional shooter is not going to be voted off based on his spear chucking skills..."

at least with this weeks challenge they are using a modern bow (which i'm sure Jay designed all by himself, knows everything about and will be willing to tell the rest of his team every little thing they are doing wrong) judging from the description it's going to be a "tubular challenge" so im assuming that means the 92M challenge from season 1 where they shot the glass out of tubes of various sizes only this season they use arrows?

i'm looking forward to next week, they are going to be "speed shooting" with a colt .45 so that should be good, but the interesting thing is they are also showcasing a "Razorcat Racing Gun" so maybe the elimination challenge is right out of USPSA?

Last edited:
The producers know what they're doing WRT the challenges.

The folks on this board will watch it, and complain that the challenges are stupid, or too contrived, or whatever.

The drama-lovers will watch it for the drama (at least 'till Dancing With the Stars comes back!)

The Jay-haters will watch it so that they can see him get knocked out (You can love him, or hate him; but if you hate him you love to hate him!)

A more "practical" event would have too little for the non-shooters, and we'll watch it, anyways, so they win.

They made no illusions that the show is NOT just about firearms. They are including marksmanship challenges of all types. I would absolutely prefer it to be all firearms but demanding that from this show is a bit like wanting to see Jeopardy stick to history questions.

I'm hoping for a more firearms intensive spinoff.

The Jay-haters will watch it so that they can see him get knocked out (You can love him, or hate him; but if you hate him you love to hate him!)
He better get out tonight and at least half the show had better be devoted to firearms. I really hate that guy. He gets so gosh darn lucky and doesn't respect the shooting sports. And he's annoying. [angry] [angry] [angry]

I thought the tommy gun elimination was instructive [grin]. It's a lot harder to draw a line with a tommy gun than I would have guessed. Now that's educational!

Back
Top Bottom