Top Shot back tonight

I dunno. I suggested eliminating the greatest threats, and it was not a very popular idea with the internet audience. And these guys might be playing it different based on that experience.

Completely logical approach but when watching the season it seems duplicitous. You spend 8 or ten weeks joining with the strongest members to get through the team challenges and then as soon as it's individual, you turn to eliminate those you sided with. The logic is sound from a competitive view point and I agree with it but when watching the show (without the benefit of having actually competed) it comes off as sleazy IMHO. Unfortunately many folks on the internet can't get past the knee jerk to the real rationale.

I finally watched the last episode and I have to say that I lost a lot of respect for George. It's one thing to be competitive and to form alliances, but to be a disrespectful douchebag to the people you compete against is unacceptable in my book. I was a little disappointed to see Brian vote to put Jamie in the elimination challenge too.

While I don't like George, he can shoot. He hit that target at 1000 yards with one shot. He can back up his arrogance with his performance on the firing line.

I don't know what Jamie did or said that pissed the others off so much.

Originally Posted by USMCBamBam
I dunno. I suggested eliminating the greatest threats, and it was not a very popular idea with the internet audience. And these guys might be playing it different based on that experience.
If you take that approach, a lot of secondary strategy comes to mind.

• If you team is clearly losing and you can't pull out a win for them, be sure to shoot poorly when it's your turn so your teammates do not perceive you as a threat to be eliminated (think pool hustler)
  • Ditto if your team is far in the lead.
  • If you performance might make a difference for your team, balance the risk of winning against the risk of being identified as a threat by demonstrating your skill.
If I designed the show, I would have had the two lowest performers on the losing team go to elimination - so there is never any incentive to do anything other than your best, and so competitors are eliminated based only on performance.

Another consideration - the expected value of the prize ($100K/16, plus the fact that it may be paid in merchandise valued in retail if the show chooses) is not really for many people to go on national TV and get reputations as schemers. At least Survivor makes no pretense to be anything other than a game to see how you can eliminate competition and come out on top - Top Shot makes the pretense of being a "shooting competition" and the "survivor" and "scheme" issues are not emphasized.

Last edited:
No argument there. But the contest is about winning, not making friends.

True... but there's still no excuse for being a DB. He's not a very good role model that way. If I had kids who were watching the show I'd be sure to point out that the polite guy is right up there with the DB in the standings. In fact, he's survived more challenges then the DB.

I don't see George as an a**h***, I see him as an entertainer. He knows its a show and is having fun with it.

Maybe...but he's also representing the Air Force while he's on the show (wether he thinks so or not) and should be acting like it.

I was thinking the same thing. He is also acting like a clique-y teenager. However, that one shot on the 1000 yard target was phenomenal. Jay-sus.

But the contest is about winning, not making friends.

The show is SUPPOSED to be about winning, now it seems like it's a popularity contest from the last episode. I thought we had a "winning" positive firearm show with top shot but all we got this season was jersey shore with guns.

The show is SUPPOSED to be about winning, now it seems like it's a popularity contest from the last episode. I thought we had a "winning" positive firearm show with top shot but all we got this season was jersey shore with guns.

If you win the stage or the elimination challenge, it doesn't matter if the other shooters hate you.

Just because he's a good shot is not an excuse for being a douche-bag.
No argument there. But the contest is about winning, not making friends.

That's ironic: George was a huge dick about Jay because Jay didn't "make friends", and was a "civilian" and "didn't fit in", even though he was a great shot.

George is an experienced long-range shooter, so it's not unexpected that he could watch 4-5 shooters go before him (I lost count), and all of them did the smart thing of laying crosshairs on the target and hit a consistent 8' left, then walked onto the target. George took a good guess, and applied that dope for a first-shot hit.

There was no more "team" at this stage, it was an individual competition. A focused effort to eliminate Jay tells me the other competitors were worried about facing him.

Especially since the event was based on time and not overall accuracy.

Even though I am getting tired of George's shtick on the show, I have to say (again) that his shot was ridiculous, and that he has a bit of a reason to be miffed that he didn't win the challenge. Having never been a sniper, or anything approaching it, I always thought that the best shot was the one single shot that did it's job. His certainly was. The rules are the rules, I guess, but maybe the rules should reflect, or attempt to reflect, the purpose of the weapon.
Sorry about all the commas. The Sisters of Saint Joseph at St. Ann's School would be very cross with me.

Even though I am getting tired of George's shtick on the show, I have to say (again) that his shot was ridiculous, and that he has a bit of a reason to be miffed that he didn't win the challenge. Having never been a sniper, or anything approaching it, I always thought that the best shot was the one single shot that did it's job. His certainly was. The rules are the rules, I guess, but maybe the rules should reflect, or attempt to reflect, the purpose of the weapon.
Sorry about all the commas. The Sisters of Saint Joseph at St. Ann's School would be very cross with me.

I disagree. One of the traps in a contest like this for experts is a challenge that "looks" like their expertise. The rules of the challenge were very clear. It was about the hit made in the shortest time, not the fewest shots.
George let his training or his ego (maybe both) obscure the rules for him and he blew it. It was an impressive shot but he would have had a better chance using three shots to walk it in. I've never had any experience with sniper training but I would bet walking it in is frowned upon for snipers. I think that, coupled with the fact that he wanted to impress his competetors lost George that match.
When you're that good at something it can be difficult to step outside your comfort zone slightly.

You are right. It is strange, but I kind of keep forgetting that this is a contest, not a rundown of skills tests. I think I want to see the weapons used for their purpose, being a history nut. Great for me, maybe not for the ratings! It is true, as well, that with his proficiency with the weapon he could have walked in those shots in about 20 seconds. On another note, the best elimination challenge of the show would be him and Jamie using a weapon common to the both of them.

If geoge was training joe hw would have made him take the walk of failure, no. I dont know. Now that its who do we like better and what branch of service do we like better. I may not watch it...HEY HISTORY CHANNEL how about a full on winners win competition!!!!!
I still think Joe should really stand up and tell those guys their intergity is moot and walk off. BUT im sure its hard to walk away from a 100,000 chance.
You watch how fast they put Joe up if they still are picking shootoffs.....I dont see it to far from now geoge crying this is stupid a sling shot(or what ever) to decide and compition.....didnt he whine when they where throwing axes and such.....allthough I did like the fact that he did pull off the one shot BUT he still was in 2nd place.

I think Jay was doing well and made a few people eat their words.....I think they where afraid of jay and his ability to focus and just get it so fast....he shoots better than alot of people I know that been shooting for years.

I only wish Geoge said put me up so I can take Jay out myself!!!!!

Back tonight...

Allow me to use my psychic powers to predict tonight’s episode...

-George says something douchesque

-They shoot some AR-15s and handguns

-Good old boy club puts Jaime and whoever does the worst today in elimination

-Jaime wins elimination

-George comes up with new douchesque comment about Jaime

-Scenes from next week

Looking forward to watching it.

ETA: Oooohh.. Unstable platform. AR, FAL, BHP...
ETA2: Bouncing back an forth between Tosh.0 & Top Shot... ahahahaa

Last edited:
F'n awesome, so much for their plan [laugh]

ETA: Zins screwed himself on the FAL it looks like, he had it up to that point.

ETA2: Looks like Reed did the same thing on the AR.

Last edited:
So happy that Jaime got immunity. The guy has been kicking ass lately but still getting hammered by these schmucks.

I agree.
Jaime kicked their asses every time.
Why is he perceived by the others as the worst shooter in the group?

Shrug.gif

Back
Top Bottom