Top 5 Rifles

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Just to keep the Top 5 Pistols thread company... what are your top 5 "must have" rifles?

I'll start -

M1 Garand
AR-15
Lee Enfield
M1 Carbine
Ruger 10/22

In order

AR15 (preban)
AK47 (preban)
SOCOM .308
Mini14 (preban)
Winchester 94, 30-30

although I'd also like to toss a 10/22 and a bolt 30 06 in there too... I want too much... [thinking]

Last edited:
5 Rifles?

1) .22 single shot Bolt gun. Best teaching tool period.

2) Magazine fed Bolt gun. Although a Mosin will work, a modern design will be easier. You don't need a huge caliber, a .308 will work great. Basically something like the Reminton 700 is simply a workhorse of a rifle. Easy to keep, utterly reliable in almost any conditions, and will almost always be far more accurate than the shooter that holds it.

3) Some kind of battle rifle. I'd recommend an AR-15 only because right now only because ammo is easy to find. However, an AK clone, FAL, M1A, Garand, or other modern battle rifle will also work if you know where to get the ammo.

4) A good semi-auto .22 Ruger 10/22 is a good start, but upgrade the sights to match the quality of the action. Basically, this is the small caliber workhorse.

5) A large caliber rifle. If you can feed a .50 BMG, do it. But find something larger than .40 caliber that is capable of stopping anything that walks this earth. Just too much fun, and if the local zoo loses a rabid elephant, you will be ready. (^_^)

Top Five Rifles with Rationale: Let me preface by saying that my choices are focused on combat rifles, with the understanding that the choices may have to cover game hunting in a SHTF scenario, as well.

#1 – AR15: In my humble opinion, the best all around option in a combat rifle. It is a great balance of weight, power, and accuracy. It is not the perfect rifle for every scenario, but no rifle is. You could argue that a piston driven configuration is more desirable, but I am very confident in the design and feel that the piston option is a lot to do about nothing. Experienced infantrymen almost always choose the AR over the AK. For a great summary of this decision point, see Maj. John L. Plasterer’s excellent history of the Studies and Observation Group (SOG) in Vietnam. He lays out the reasons why these ultimate soldiers almost universally went with the AR over the AK.

#2 – FN FAL: “The right Arm of The Free World”. If you’re going to do .308, do it right. This rifle is, in my opinion, THE ultimate Battle Rifle. The sights are adequate to get hits out to any range at which an Infantryman is likely to engage targets (far better than the AK’s) and the ergonomics are superior to both the M14, HK G3, or AK. This is due to the FAL’s pistol grip, bolt hold open feature, more accessible selector switch and magazine release.

#3 – M1 Garand: This is a Man’s rifle (with all due respect to the fine ladies on this forum and elsewhere who can out shoot me any day). It is hard to argue that the rifle that helped beat Germany, Japan, and hold China to a stalemate, shouldn’t be on everyone’s “must have” list. That fact that Sheriff Brody uses one to kill the shark in “Jaws” is just icing on the cake.

#4 Mauser K98K: One of, if not the best bolt action rifles of all time. The 98’s action inspired many a successful rifle in other countries, including our own glorious 1903. Strong as the day is long, and accurate enough for any rifleman, the K98 is a near perfect bolt action that could be used effective to defend one’s family, or bring down sizable game. It also has a “cool factor” that’s through the roof.

#5 Henry Youth Rifle: One of my favorites. Everyone should own a .22, and this one is a great choice for that category. A finely made, scaled down version of the Henry lever action, this rifle is a perfect choice to teach shooting skills to youngsters, or to enjoy a days plinking or small game hunting. Something to note is that even though it is a scaled down version, it is still a fun and effective rifle for adults. My wife and I both find it to be a fun rifle to shoot.

not in any order

Ruger 10/22 - bone stock or tricked out in a target theme or tacticool

AR15 - bone stock, tactical or target (sniper) theme

Bolt Action - Savage Arms or Remington in .223 or .308 (i want one of these)

.50BMG - I'd go with a Barrett or similar. why? because those rabit elephants can do a lot of damamge running around [laugh]

HK, AK, Mac 10, Mac 11 or any class 3 that I can't have - LOL

ruger 10/22 ,stew onthe table; remington 700,308cal.sightron scope,long range meat gun; marlin 30/30 lever ,woods gun; wasr ak 47 protect water supply; ithaca mod 37,12 ga.,bottom feed ejecter has never falled me.

For me they are the,

M1 garand
M1 carbine
mosin-nagant (any model finn or russian I love them all)
SKS (I have never shot a AK and besides the SKS was what the AK was based on)
And even though I never shot one the AR-15.

no order

AK Pattern
FAL
Mosin Nagant (any)
SMLE for its elegance ( a more elegant weapon... for a more civilized time)
K 31 ( milsurp with match accuracy, also made like a fine swiss watch)

All in their intended auto and "pre-ban" configs (where applicable)
AK
Socom 16 (tough call between that and an AR)
Winchester 1873
Gatling Gun (the original)
Rem 700

no order

AK Pattern
FAL
Mosin Nagant (any)
SMLE for its elegance ( a more elegant weapon... for a more civilized time)
K 31 ( milsurp with match accuracy, also made like a fine swiss watch)

SMLE, good call and for the right reason.

OK here are my Favorite and keep in mind since I am restricted to 5 these are only that the top 5 not that I do not also appreciate other fine rifles.

HK 91/41
FN FAL / 50.63
Galil 308 ARM
SIG 510-4 in 308

Rifles3Van.jpg

Other desired rifles but not in my top 5.

Ruger Model 1 in 458 Lott
Winchester Model 70 in 308/30.06
Lever action in 44 Magnum.
ACECOLT2.jpg

100_2254.jpg

Last edited:
M1 Garand
Winchester 1895 saddle ring carbine 30-06 cal
Anschutz model 1740 clip fed 22 hornet
Winchester Model 54 22 hornet
M1A/M14 308 cal.

Here goes!

1. AR-15 Service rifle of the nation.

2. Ruger 10/22 The kit rifle, that you can do anything with it.

3. Bolt rifle for Hunting (with good glass) In a serious caliber like 30-06 or 7MM.

4. M-1 Grand or M1A Battlerifle

5. An AK

smitty

Garand
AR-15
AK
10/22 or other 22 plinker
Bolt Rifle maybe Rem700 (still don't have one for my collection)

My must have list includes an AK, which I don't yet have. But I'm working to solve that problem. I'm also on the lookout for a Mosin something-or-other, and still educating myself on that topic.

Among the toppers that are actually in my modest collection:

M1 Carbine

SKS-M Sporter

Marlin 336 - lever action .30-30

Marlin 60 - .22 plinker

All of these are a pleasure to own and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom