• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 mm rifles?

been seeing 20 mm bolt rifles showing up on you tube; what is the legality around owning them

They make about as much sense as a 50BMG.

So is functionally a big shlong and yet.... here we are... [pot]

I would like to have one of those rifles and shoot it at distances greater than a mile somewhere in the boonies, but the economics of the 20mm round are prolly not for peons like me anyway

I'm old and seem to remember some kind of 20mm weapon for sale as war surplus in several publications (Popular Mechanics?) , maybe others in the early 60's. There may have been ammo available as well, can anyone remember that or is my old brain hallucinating again. 😄 I'm positive they had Jeeps and PT boats for sale!

I'm old and seem to remember some kind of 20mm weapon for sale as war surplus in several publications (Popular Mechanics?) , maybe others in the early 60's. There may have been ammo available as well, can anyone remember that or is my old brain hallucinating again. 😄 I'm positive they had Jeeps and PT boats for sale!

The first one that I thought of was the Lahti L-39 anti-tank weapon. WW2 vintage

been seeing 20 mm bolt rifles showing up on you tube; what is the legality around owning them
“Legality”?

2A and f*** everything else

Damn, stamp per round? Who's gonna flex on the poors?

1000w_q95.jpg

I read that each individual round is a stamp. I would hope the stamp applies to the casing and not the bullet. No idea if true.

I've heard this myth before. I think this is because it is confused with a specific ruling from the ATF regarding 37/38mm launchers when possessed with its ammunition. Here is the text of the letter:
The definition of “destructive device” in the GCA (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(4)) is identical to that in the NFA. ATF has previously held that devices designed for expelling tear gas or pyrotechnic signals are not weapons and are exempt from the destructive device definition. However, ammunition designed to be used against individuals is available for these 37/38 mm devices. This “antipersonnel” ammunition consists of cartridges containing wood pellets, rubber pellets or balls, and bean bags. When a gas/flare gun is possessed with “anti-personnel” type ammunition, it clearly becomes an instrument of offensive or defensive combat and is capable of use as a weapon. Since these gas/flare guns have a bore diameter of greater than one-half inch, fire a projectile by the means of an explosive, and, when possessed with “anti-personnel” ammunition, are capable of use as weapons, the combination of the gas/flare gun and “anti-personnel” ammunition is a destructive device as defined in the GCA and NFA. As a result, registration as a destructive device is required. Any person possessing a gas/flare gun with which “anti-personnel” ammunition will be used must register the making of a destructive device prior to the acquisition of any “antipersonnel” ammunition. In addition, the gas/flare guns are classified as firearms as defined by the GCA when possessed with “anti-personnel” type ammunition.

Here is verbiage of the NFA:

Firearms Verification​

National Firearms Act Definitions​

Destructive Device​

26 U.S.C. § 5845(F)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Destructive Device” means:

• A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.
  • Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.
  • A combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a device into a destructive device and from which a destructive device can be readily assembled.
Image of various destructive devices such as grenades, M79 grenade launcher, and artillery cannon.

Exemptions:

• A shotgun or shotgun shell which is determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.
  • a device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon,
  • a device which is designed or redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device,
  • surplus ordnance sold, loaded, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to law such as antique, obsolete bronze or iron cannon,
  • a device which the Attorney General determines is not likely to be used as a weapon.
  • An antique firearm, or
  • a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.

I've only seen a 39 Lahti once. Must've been well over ten years ago. I was meeting SKS Ray @ Zero Hour Arms in Easton to buy a Finnish Capture Mosin Nagant. I went into the shop, looked up and there was a 39 Lahti hanging from the ceiling, ski's and all. The guy behind the counter asked if I knew what it was and I told him my grandmother's from Finland, I know what it is. He said " Twelve Grand and it's yours ". Outta my price range.

1704581471335.png

I've heard this myth before. I think this is because it is confused with a specific ruling from the ATF regarding 37/38mm launchers when possessed with its ammunition. Here is the text of the letter:
The definition of “destructive device” in the GCA (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(4)) is identical to that in the NFA. ATF has previously held that devices designed for expelling tear gas or pyrotechnic signals are not weapons and are exempt from the destructive device definition. However, ammunition designed to be used against individuals is available for these 37/38 mm devices. This “antipersonnel” ammunition consists of cartridges containing wood pellets, rubber pellets or balls, and bean bags. When a gas/flare gun is possessed with “anti-personnel” type ammunition, it clearly becomes an instrument of offensive or defensive combat and is capable of use as a weapon. Since these gas/flare guns have a bore diameter of greater than one-half inch, fire a projectile by the means of an explosive, and, when possessed with “anti-personnel” ammunition, are capable of use as weapons, the combination of the gas/flare gun and “anti-personnel” ammunition is a destructive device as defined in the GCA and NFA. As a result, registration as a destructive device is required. Any person possessing a gas/flare gun with which “anti-personnel” ammunition will be used must register the making of a destructive device prior to the acquisition of any “antipersonnel” ammunition. In addition, the gas/flare guns are classified as firearms as defined by the GCA when possessed with “anti-personnel” type ammunition.

Here is verbiage of the NFA:

Firearms Verification​

National Firearms Act Definitions​

Destructive Device​

26 U.S.C. § 5845(F)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Destructive Device” means:

• A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.
  • Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.
  • A combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a device into a destructive device and from which a destructive device can be readily assembled.
Image of various destructive devices such as grenades, M79 grenade launcher, and artillery cannon.

Exemptions:

• A shotgun or shotgun shell which is determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.
  • a device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon,
  • a device which is designed or redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device,
  • surplus ordnance sold, loaded, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to law such as antique, obsolete bronze or iron cannon,
  • a device which the Attorney General determines is not likely to be used as a weapon.
  • An antique firearm, or
  • a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.

Target shooting is sporting, no? So a 20mm used specifically for target shooting gets a pass?

Hey, I am sick and tired of those small airplanes buzzing around my house...Now to figure out how much to lead them by, unless Basspro carries 20mm with proximity fuses
No shit, we are under a frigging travel corridor.

No shit, we are under a frigging travel corridor.

I grew up on "final approach" for Westover which had C-5 Galaxies. The drone of the engines, even at idle as they floated in for touch n go's, was so loud it rattled siding nails out of the house. Every spring included a trip around the house with a hammer and caulking gun. When they flew over, you stopped your conversations for a full minute. They were low enough to count individual tires, all 28 of them. A friend 2 miles closer could see the tread pattern.

The recent upgrade to the engines to C-5M Super Galaxy made the engines much quieter. you can still hold conversations now when they fly over, albeit you will need to speak up.

More concerning though was when they took off over the house. That only meant one thing - they were carrying ordnance. Makes sense though, better to crash into a cow town than Chicopee Falls / Springfield.

I grew up on "final approach" for Westover which had C-5 Galaxies. The drone of the engines, even at idle as they floated in for touch n go's, was so loud it rattled siding nails out of the house. Every spring included a trip around the house with a hammer and caulking gun. When they flew over, you stopped your conversations for a full minute. They were low enough to count individual tires, all 28 of them. A friend 2 miles closer could see the tread pattern.

The recent upgrade to the engines to C-5M Super Galaxy made the engines much quieter. you can still hold conversations now when they fly over, albeit you will need to speak up.

More concerning though was when they took off over the house. That only meant one thing - they were carrying ordnance. Makes sense though, better to crash into a cow town than Chicopee Falls / Springfield.
Buddy had a boat docked by Logan airport. Non stop noise hanging out there.

I've only seen a 39 Lahti once. Must've been well over ten years ago. I was meeting SKS Ray @ Zero Hour Arms in Easton to buy a Finnish Capture Mosin Nagant. I went into the shop, looked up and there was a 39 Lahti hanging from the ceiling, ski's and all. The guy behind the counter asked if I knew what it was and I told him my grandmother's from Finland, I know what it is. He said " Twelve Grand and it's yours ". Outta my price range.

View attachment 836183
SKS Ray! There's a NES handle I haven't heard in a long time.
His status?

Back
Top Bottom