• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 mm rifles?

The gun is the DD not the ammo unless it's explosive or over 1/4 ounce of energetics, not $200 per round of ammo as others have posted. $200 tax stamp on either a form 1 (if you make it) or form 4 (if it's already registered and you transfer it), for the rifle. If you're serious there's a lahti action for a decent price on gunbroker. Purchase it, submit a form 1 for it and then hunt down a barrel to complete it.

The gun is the DD not the ammo unless it's explosive or over 1/4 ounce of energetics, not $200 per round of ammo as others have posted. $200 tax stamp on either a form 1 (if you make it) or form 4 (if it's already registered and you transfer it), for the rifle. If you're serious there's a lahti action for a decent price on gunbroker. Purchase it, submit a form 1 for it and then hunt down a barrel to complete it.

Bu bu bu but I read it on the INTERNET!

Thanks for the clarification, seriously.

I wish one of those could ever be in my budget, but that's never gonna happen, short of a big Powerball win.

Bu bu bu but I read it on the INTERNET!

Thanks for the clarification, seriously.

I wish one of those could ever be in my budget, but that's never gonna happen, short of a big Powerball win.

Of course, keep an eye out. Here's some inspiration for your hunt.

Attachments

• PXL_20230714_204920872.jpg
    PXL_20230714_204920872.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
I've only seen a 39 Lahti once. Must've been well over ten years ago. I was meeting SKS Ray @ Zero Hour Arms in Easton to buy a Finnish Capture Mosin Nagant. I went into the shop, looked up and there was a 39 Lahti hanging from the ceiling, ski's and all. The guy behind the counter asked if I knew what it was and I told him my grandmother's from Finland, I know what it is. He said " Twelve Grand and it's yours ". Outta my price range.

View attachment 836183

Yup. That's where I saw it. ZHA was my fav gun shop. I used to go after work and chill on the couch and hide from the wife.

So, a 500 Linebaugh revolver needs to be registered?
this was a serious question. 500 Linebaugh fires a .510 bullet.

And I have been thinking about getting a BFR in 500 Linebaugh.

It would be a lot cooler if it was considered a destructive device.

The first one that I thought of was the Lahti L-39 anti-tank weapon. WW2 vintage
The Lahti ammo is different than 20mm and hard/expensive to get.

Typical 20mmm ammo for rifles is 20mm Vulcan ammo that has been reloaded to use a percussion primer instead of the original electrical primer.

this was a serious question. 500 Linebaugh fires a .510 bullet.

And I have been thinking about getting a BFR in 500 Linebaugh.

It would be a lot cooler if it was considered a destructive device.
The National Firearms Act of 1968 references bore size not bullet size for destructive devices.

The National Firearms Act of 1968 references bore size not bullet size for destructive devices.
Got it.

Interesting, reading about this lead to learning about the 50 AE having to be pre-designed.

I learned something new.

Last edited:
The Lahti ammo is different than 20mm and hard/expensive to get.

Typical 20mmm ammo for rifles is 20mm Vulcan ammo that has been reloaded to use a percussion primer instead of the original electrical primer.

A lahti can be rebarreled to 20mm Vulcan using a 20mm rotary cannon barrel. This is helpful as a large amount of them were imported with drilled barrels and carbide pins welded into them. I'm able to reload for my lahti for not much more than .50 bmg.

A lahti can be rebarreled to 20mm Vulcan using a 20mm rotary cannon barrel. This is helpful as a large amount of them were imported with drilled barrels and carbide pins welded into them. I'm able to reload for my lahti for not much more than .50 bmg.
[pics]

I have a 20mm Anzio. I also have a silencer I built for it. Also have almost 400rds for it from ball, a.p. tracer, and saphe rds. None of the rds need a tax stamp unless they have more than a 1/4 ounce of explosives in the tips. The guns are no longer be made, and ammunition is anywhere from 40 to 70 per Rd. You have never shot a gun until you shoot a 20mm!

In elementary school I brought a live 20mm round to sch00l for show and tell
My grandfather gave it to me and it was from when he was in Korea in the Navy
This would have been around 1995-1996
My grandparents were older so I never asked about it (1929 year of birth)
This was in MA but in a private school, it went completely normal and nothing came of it

I have a 20mm Anzio. I also have a silencer I built for it. Also have almost 400rds for it from ball, a.p. tracer, and saphe rds. None of the rds need a tax stamp unless they have more than a 1/4 ounce of explosives in the tips. The guns are no longer be made, and ammunition is anywhere from 40 to 70 per Rd. You have never shot a gun until you shoot a 20mm!
In! I’ll buy a few rounds and meet up with you!

I do believe they were an option on the new jeeps
View attachment 836184

A bit puny,

This was on my Jeep when I wore a younger mans cloths. JETA, Just adding for sizing, that small looking tube on the top is the sight. It's a 50 cal that uses spotting rounds and the stuff hanging out from the rear are the main guns rounds.:

106 rr copy.jpg

Last edited:
Man where are you getting your ammo? I'm currently paying half that for 20mm Vulcan loaded on virgin brass and TP projectiles from a manufacturer.

Man where are you getting your ammo? I'm currently paying half that for 20mm Vulcan loaded on virgin brass and TP projectiles from a manufacturer.
Dang. Let me know where? I can't find it anywhere? Last rds I bought were a.p
And 50.00 Rd. He also has ball rds but wants 40.00rd. I would appreciate it finding a way cheaper source.

Back
Top Bottom