• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toolbags in Gunshops

I think it comes down to the guys who have volunteered to serve and the guys who have died serving really get pissed off when some little notshit nothing dances on their coat tails trying to be something they don't deserve being.

I'm one of those guys that takes exception to it. I have friends who have died protecting people that pretend to be hard like they were. It's a BIG DEAL to me.

+2

If you didn't serve and you lie about it you are a douchebag of the highest order.

If you did serve and you lie about what you did, then you are a douchebag of the second highest order.

I can't speak for what people do and don't say about their experiences as operators. I can only speak about the only one I know, my cousin. He was in Army SOF for 20 years, Green Berets. He was an instructor in the Army SOF for his last 6 years. Total badass. I worshipped him as a kid, he's 5 years old than me.

I was (still am) a "hanger-on" every time he came home on leave and would BEG him to tell me sh**, this was in my 20's. He would just smack me in the head and tell me to STFU. The closest I ever got to seeing or hearing any stories was a picture he mailed his brother of him and his unit in white camo on skis in the snow, god knows where. That was it.

After his 20, he moved to Bosnia to train government troops as a "contractor", he was in Bosnia for 6 years until he took a job in Iraq. He's been in Iraq as a contractor for the past 3 years. I have no clue what he's doing there.

He doesn't even tell his brothers what he does or where he is. The only thing I hear is when he's coming back to Maine and I always make sure I see him when he's home.

Ha! I just noticed a new potential phenomenon-- bragging about the operators you KNOW instead of claiming to be one yourself!!! GUILTY! [grin]

I just stopped into my local gunshop to quickly pick something up. I was in the store probably 5-7 minutes total. While I was there there was some douche-bag customer at the counter who no less than 4 times during my brief visit was bragging that he "only shoots long range", "Im not famiar with this stuff, I only shoot military weapons, up to and including the .50 caliber sniper rifle", "I was a Sniper", etc.... I think I even heard "I was a SEAL". Now I dont know who he was trying to impress, You could tell the clerk was politely nodding his head to get the sale but thinking "this guy is a tool bag". Now I would bet a years salary this guy is full of shit, but even if it were true NO ONE GIVES A RATS ASS. Walk softly and carry an big stick...a**h***s like this guy give us all a bad name.

Bull Shitting Liars are the lowest form of gun owners (and people in general), go sell someone a used car

rant over......

The dangerous ones are the guys that tell you they worked for the CIA or some other type of spy. My personal fave though is the guy that claims to have a federal license to carry concealed.

My buddy makes a habit of busting posers he runs into. It's interesting, but recent census figures state that on the last census 9 million people claimed to be Vietnam Vets. That works out to 9 out of 10 people lied. There are only 1 million Viet Vets alive, with over 300 dieing every day.

Posers suck, and they show great dis-respect for those who have served with honor.

When I was waiting at MEPS about half of the guys there were going to Parris Island, so they thought it was funny to play Full Metal Jacket. In retrospect, very funny. At the time...not funny.

I was in Panama when the teams were there. It was before SWCC was formed. I also work now with several former Rangers and am proud to know a USMC Scout Sniper. They NEVER talk about anything to do with their mos/nec/whatever. We may talk guns, duty stations, or other surface stuff, but they don't need to boast or brag. If the shtf, it's great to know they're next to me. I've run into people who claim SEAL, Green Beret and various other SF, I have no problem calling them on it and making them look like an idiot. The men who earned the pin/badge/cover deserve at least that. For those who say it's none of our business if it makes the wanna be's feel better, it may not be yours, but I make it mine!

I fixed radars. One time I had to track a short circuit in a servo unit... Wait, I've said too much.

What I don't understand is why these guys always have to be Airborne, Ranger, SEAL, or Special Forces. In other words, training or assignment where someone can determine in about 30 seconds if they are authentic.
Lord knows we all did what we were told to do in the military, and whether you were a bullet launcher, bullet carrier, or bullet counter, you deserve credit for doing your duty. I work with a guy who was an Army Illustrator - who knew?

What I don't understand is why these guys always have to be Airborne, Ranger, SEAL, or Special Forces. In other words, training or assignment where someone can determine in about 30 seconds if they are authentic.
Lord knows we all did what we were told to do in the military, and whether you were a bullet launcher, bullet carrier, or bullet counter, you deserve credit for doing your duty. I work with a guy who was an Army Illustrator - who knew?

I respect every service member/veteran I meet, unless they prove to be a total assclown.

The 'coolest' people I knew in the Army were some friends in the reserves who were Combat Engineers who really specialized in building/repairing bridges during combat. They got called up during OIF and was biting nails because of what they do. I was very happy that I didn't have to attend any funerals.

A good friend of mine from High School died quite a few years back now. He was "Just a truck driver". But he was a truck driver who managed to save everyone in the back of his truck on one day in a particular situation.

To this day, my wife and I still keep in contact with his girlfriend. She has had one of the hardest times since and I don't know if she would still be with us if the support hadn't been there for her. Even years later, she's an emotional wreck at times.

I don't care what you do while in the uniform. The fact that you did it earns a great amount of respect from me.

A fellow that my wife worked with was the only person I've ever met who served in Vietnam and will openly say that he worked in a non-combat job. The Army made him a cook, and he was quite happy to stay in the kitchen on base for his entire tour.

Another fellow that she knows was a conscientious objector, who paradoxically may be one of the braver fellows around. He was raised a Quaker and when he was called up, he told the draft board that he couldn't carry a gun. They told him how to apply for CO status so he wouldn't have to serve. He said his conscience wouldn't let him do that, since someone else would have to do his duty. He said he would serve if they could find a way for him to do it without carrying a gun. He was a geologist, so they sent him to US-AID, setting up water supplies in South Vietnam during the Vietnam war. So he was in the combat zone, but without a gun.

What I don't understand is why these guys always have to be Airborne, Ranger, SEAL, or Special Forces.

No kidding.

It's like people that claim to be reincarnated. They were always a Princess, King, High Priestess, or something like that. You never hear anybody say they were a farmer, mailman, or sales guy in a past life.

No kidding.

It's like people that claim to be reincarnated. They were always a Princess, King, High Priestess, or something like that. You never hear anybody say they were a farmer, mailman, or sales guy in a past life.

Four of my past lives were "revealed" to me during some therapy sessions. I was (in order), a caveman who died from a broken leg infection, a peasant on the Tibetan plains who lived to be an old man but died from an ox bite (infection again), a Chinese railway worker in the 1800's died in my sleep when Ping Li drove a railway spike through my head (f**ker), and previous to this life I was actually not a human, but a sea otter. I'm not sure where I was, the thinking process was very, very different.

No kidding.

I was the founder of the oss in my previous life.

What I don't understand is why these guys always have to be Airborne, Ranger, SEAL, or Special Forces. In other words, training or assignment where someone can determine in about 30 seconds if

Pfft, Rangers? SEALs? Not impressed. When I was in, I would take rosters from people's PFTs and enter the scores into the system. My chair, it had an adjustable back....in TWO axes of motion. Show me a SEAL that can get that much lumbar support.

A good marine friend of mine said -"I guess I was the only one one that was a truck driver, everyone else was a green beret"

let's break this down.

caveman with a propensity to fall down

a funny looking dude who died from a cow bite - i'm guessing on the penis

someone who makes people want to drive spikes through their heads

a rotund furry ugly wallowing thing with rudimentary semblances of mild intelligence

you're just never gonna try to climb that karmic ladder, are you son?

Priceless!

A good marine friend of mine said -"I guess I was the only one one that was a truck driver, everyone else was a green beret"

I ahve heard the same thing, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom