Toolbags in Gunshops

I just stopped into my local gunshop to quickly pick something up. I was in the store probably 5-7 minutes total. While I was there there was some douche-bag customer at the counter who no less than 4 times during my brief visit was bragging that he "only shoots long range", "Im not famiar with this stuff, I only shoot military weapons, up to and including the .50 caliber sniper rifle", "I was a Sniper", etc.... I think I even heard "I was a SEAL". Now I dont know who he was trying to impress, You could tell the clerk was politely nodding his head to get the sale but thinking "this guy is a tool bag". Now I would bet a years salary this guy is full of shit, but even if it were true NO ONE GIVES A RATS ASS. Walk softly and carry an big stick...a**h***s like this guy give us all a bad name.

Bull Shitting Liars are the lowest form of gun owners (and people in general), go sell someone a used car

rant over......

None of the SEALS or snipers I have met brandished their credentials in public. I'll lay money that the guy is full of it.

You get those types in ANY specialty shop. Years back I worked in a "hardcore" camera and photo store and boy did we have a bunch of losers with a seriously inflated backstory as to how they got to be there. Over the years I came to know the stories as they were told every saturday like clockwork.

The only issue I had was that they got what they wanted, their ego stroked. Sometimes the spouting off was to the detriment of the neophytes in my store. The meer presence of these sewage speakers was too intimidating, and normal client's questions never got asked unless I was observant enough to catch the body lanquage.

As a good salesman, I made use of this info(read: persona issue) and made sure it worth my time to listen through the crap. Information is the tool, how you use it makes the difference. I made sure to line my pockets with it.

Keri

I believe he is a SEAL. How else would he know that SEALs only shoot long range and never train on CQB? You better find that guy and pay your respects.

I just stopped into my local gunshop to quickly pick something up. I was in the store probably 5-7 minutes total. While I was there there was some douche-bag customer at the counter who no less than 4 times during my brief visit was bragging that he "only shoots long range", "Im not famiar with this stuff, I only shoot military weapons, up to and including the .50 caliber sniper rifle", "I was a Sniper", etc.... I think I even heard "I was a SEAL". Now I dont know who he was trying to impress, You could tell the clerk was politely nodding his head to get the sale but thinking "this guy is a tool bag". Now I would bet a years salary this guy is full of shit, but even if it were true NO ONE GIVES A RATS ASS. Walk softly and carry an big stick...a**h***s like this guy give us all a bad name.

Bull Shitting Liars are the lowest form of gun owners (and people in general), go sell someone a used car

rant over......

Did he have a hot wife and drive a Ferrari? I think I know him.

Some people define themselves by what they have done, and not who they are.. It sounds like he's one of them. Poor guy probably has no friends, so chats away whenever he can..[wink]

The limited interactions I have had with bona fide Special Op's guys even getting them to admit what they do is like pulling teeth..... When you have gone through it and have done it you dont have to brag about it

Last edited:
i live in the middle of no where. i swear to christ i can't f**king sneeze without having some operator hand me a tissue these days.

it's a sign of the times. the sheeple are frightened. if they pretend they're operators, maybe they can find some shelter and protection from the real men out there.

Hope they don't come by my house...

The limited interactions I have had with bona fide Special Op's guys even getting them to admit what they do is like pulling teeth..... When you have gone through it and have done it you dont have to brag about it

So true. A close friend of mine who's a former Marine and Gulf War vet still hasn't told me what the heck he actually did while on active duty. I've seen photos of his where he's standing with FBI Academy instructors on a range in Quantico, in dive gear on a ship, going through JWTC in Japan, and all sorts of other stuff indicating some sort of HSLD career. Yet, even as long as I've known him, he still says that he was just a truck driver in motor-t, and he NEVER talks about the Gulf.

rant over......

Deleted. Derek got there first

At best, and even this is a stretch, he washed out early on during SEAL tryouts. My money would be on total wannabe though.

+1, while I was in the Navy, I must have met 100 BUDS Duds that would go on and on about what they know. For me, it comes down to those that know don't talk, and those that talk don't know a thing.

On the topic of gun shop tool bags, I was at AFS in N Attle this past weekend. As I was collecting my ID to leave, there was some D-bag at the counter telling the poor guy behind the counter about how easy it would be to convert and AR or an AK into full auto and it wouldn't cost anything. As I walked by I said it would cost about 20 years in prison, and as I finished I realized the guy behind the counter was saying the same exact thing, almost on cue.

Sorry just wanted to share that.

I think I even heard "I was a SEAL".

Did you offer him any fish out of respect?

I am low key when Gun shopping....To be honest other than the guy selling me the gun, I do not want to talk to anyone.....ya call me anti-social, but I feel it's more of a I mind my own business you mind yours.

Last edited:
Some people define themselves by what they think they have done, and not who they are.. It sounds like he's one of them. Poor guy probably has no friends, so chats away whenever he can..[wink]

FIFY, Jen! [laugh] You're probably right about why they do it, though. Everybody exaggerates and fantasizes from time to time, but for some people it's a way of life. Many of my fantasies involve gunshops with totally unrestricted merchandise and me with a totally unlimited credit card, and the sales clerks are all Victoria's Secret models, and the store has a bar and free appetizers, and this one salesgirl is showing me....ooops, sorry, I got a little carried away there! [devil]

I've also found that the 'Walter Mitty' guys can be found on both sides of the counter. [wink]

i have known 2 Spec. Ops type of people.

One of them was my former Brother-in-Law who was a Crew Chief. All he said he and his crew did was help insert the operators, and said all he and his crew did was deliver stuff. Didn't talk much but when Gulf I came around my sister was scared because some members of his unit were being called back (his words).

The other person I knew who was Spec. Forces or some other special unit wasn't until I knew him for over 5 yrs. Only thing he let slip, after heavy drinking, was he was in the marines and how he hated carrying a camera about the desert. Having shot with him when he got his new Sig P226 and how he just ignored the hot brass bouncing off his forhead I think something may be up with the story. Again, he NEVER bragged and 99% of the time he would change the subject.

Why does it matter what people say? It might make him fell better about himself. I read a thread on a different forum a few weeks ago that is frequented by many different types of shooters. This thread began with " I am a seal and I need..." Well this guy had some interesting responses from people wanting to know who his swim buddy in bud/s was, what class, asking to see various navy forms and so forth. They jumped all over him. I figured some 13 year old kid at home had crawled in a hole and died. Well a few hours later there are a few posts from people who are very in the know at this forum telling people to law off, the guy is for real and they know who he is. What the point? 99.9 % of them are not for real. Who really cares. Life is a little short I think.

As a good salesman, I made use of this info

So, how many of those huge Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 AI-s lenses did you manage to sell those blowhards? (^_^)

(Was a special order lens that even today will command a $20,000 price tag if you can find one. Easily the sharpest and least distorted wide angle ever made.)

Here is a photo of the lens mounted to a Nikon D300:

D3S_1774-600.jpg

Many of my fantasies involve gunshops with totally unrestricted merchandise and me with a totally unlimited credit card, and the sales clerks are all Victoria's Secret models, and the store has a bar and free appetizers, and this one salesgirl is showing me....ooops, sorry, I got a little carried away there!

We may have a market for this...we need to talk [smile]

Back
Top Bottom