• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toolbags in Gunshops

Why does it matter what people say? It might make him fell better about himself. I read a thread on a different forum a few weeks ago that is frequented by many different types of shooters. This thread began with " I am a seal and I need..." Well this guy had some interesting responses from people wanting to know who his swim buddy in bud/s was, what class, asking to see various navy forms and so forth. They jumped all over him. I figured some 13 year old kid at home had crawled in a hole and died. Well a few hours later there are a few posts from people who are very in the know at this forum telling people to law off, the guy is for real and they know who he is. What the point? 99.9 % of them are not for real. Who really cares. Life is a little short I think.

I think it comes down to the guys who have volunteered to serve and the guys who have died serving really get pissed off when some little notshit nothing dances on their coat tails trying to be something they don't deserve being.

I'm one of those guys that takes exception to it. I have friends who have died protecting people that pretend to be hard like they were. It's a BIG DEAL to me.

I think it comes down to the guys who have volunteered to serve and the guys who have died serving really get pissed off when some little notshit nothing dances on their coat tails trying to be something they don't deserve being.

I'm one of those guys that takes exception to it. I have friends who have died protecting people that pretend to be hard like they were. It's a BIG DEAL to me.

I understand that. How do you deal with it? Call them out? Does it do any good for anyone? Not trying to be a ass. I know how you feel but wonder what you do? I am not military, but I have dealt with many people like the op is referring to and what else can you do? The real guys know the real guys and the fakes know they are fake.

Thank you!

[angry2]

I understand that. How do you deal with it? Call them out? Does it do any good for anyone? Not trying to be a ass. I know how you feel but wonder what you do? I am not military, but I have dealt with many people like the op is referring to and what else can you do? The real guys know the real guys and the fakes know they are fake.

I just nod and act like what they're saying means something to me. Calling some of these jokers out will only lead to more stories of how HSLD they were and such.

My wife's friends husband and his friend are two such people. Get them together,start the drinking and holy crap look out because the house just got flooded with shit.
I stop listening to the stories.

I ask specific questions regarding their unit and MOS, when the stammering and back peddling starts I tell them to STFU and move along.

When I see it in person I NEVER let it go unchallenged.

When I see it in person I NEVER let it go unchallenged.

I met a guy who claimed he flew Apaches in Vietnam. I just let him keep talking. I need to add that I was there w/ a Army vet who was w/ 5th Group in Vietnam (his son is a present day Apache pilot). My Army bud called him out real quick.

I met a guy who claimed he flew Apaches in Vietnam. I just let him keep talking. I need to add that I was there w/ a Army vet who was w/ 5th Group in Vietnam (his son is a present day Apache pilot). My Army bud called him out real quick.

I flew F-14's in WWII.

Only once I met a guy on a plane who was talking about what he did in the service. He never said what unit, we were just bullshitting about places he had been. The only reason I picked up he was spec ops was b/c of the places that only operaters had been. Turned out he was SWCC. Impressive guy, we bullshitted about how you can tell when someone is full of shit when it comes to boasting about being w/ the teams. Bottom line, the reason you can tell someone is full of shit is b/c they ARE talking about being w/ special forces. if you've been there and done that, you don't talk about it. its not a rule or a code, its just what happens.

BTW, there are tons of SEALs that train at the various sniper schools. But they also train in CQB, hand to hand, explosives/demolition, communications, counter intelligence, counter terrorism, etc. Basically any tactic that can be employed and any situation they can be employed in. Also, pistol competency is heavily emphasized in all sniper training programs. So this "I was a SEAL Sniper so I only shoot long range military weapons" is total bullshit. Furthermore, Special Operators are trained to use every type of weapon they may come across in the field. So, "Military Only"? again, I call shenanigans.

Last edited:
I flew F-14's in WWII.

Oh, you must have been in my squadron.

I'm in a delayed-entry program for the Navy, and I don't even like telling people that, for fear that they'll assume I'm actually IN the Navy, and I'm really not comfortable with people giving me too much credit for my service, nevermind telling people that I was a Navy SEAL back in the War of Northern Aggression.....

+1 Derek, +1 for sure...

This makes me so sad I really didn't want to post...But Derek's words really hit home with me.

Very sad indeed on so many levels.

I share Derek's feelings. [sad]

None of the SEALS or snipers I have met brandished their credentials in public. I'll lay money that the guy is full of it.

I know a SEAL who has given a few people a copper coin with a Trident on it that says something to the effect of "You have just met a U.S NAVY SEAL". He is the real deal.

Turned out he was SWCC.

Don't mean to seem ignorant, but SWCC?

Also, pistol competency is heavily emphasized in all sniper training programs.

The friend who was a Marine did mention he went through Sniper school. I never knew what you said as being true (but makes a lot of sense), but now explains why he was such a great shot with his P226 (when he got the handgun it HAD to be the Sig P226 and wouldn't accept anything less (glock) or more (HK)).

Special Warfare Combatant Craft Crew

Or something close. They drive the bad-assed boats that SEALs ride around in.

Special Warfare Combat Crewman. I never heard of them till I went to boot camp. Was going to volunteer for them, but since I was contracted for an aviation rate, which doesn't transfer over, it wasn't an option during that enlistment. Ah well. Parachuting out of a C-130 with a 20 ft boat strapped to your back is something you're only crazy enough to volunteer for once. Usually before you have kids.

They're an even smaller community in the Navy, which has a ton of unknown, unrelated communities in it. We'd hang out with seals and eod a few times a year, but I never met any SWCC when I was active. Or submariners. Or LCAC guys. Or seabees. Or divers. Navy's got a bunch of crazy specialty groups.

Special Warfare Combat Crewman. I never heard of them till I went to boot camp. Was going to volunteer for them, but since I was contracted for an aviation rate, which doesn't transfer over, it wasn't an option during that enlistment. Ah well. Parachuting out of a C-130 with a 20 ft boat strapped to your back is something you're only crazy enough to volunteer for once. Usually before you have kids.

They're an even smaller community in the Navy, which has a ton of unknown, unrelated communities in it. We'd hang out with seals and eod a few times a year, but I never met any SWCC when I was active. Or submariners. Or LCAC guys. Or seabees. Or divers. Navy's got a bunch of crazy specialty groups.

Ah. Thanks. I knew I was close.

I've met one SEAL, one diver, one submariner, and one CB (well...CM) Everyone else I know went Surface.

CM is a seabee.

When do you ship to Great Mistakes? Pick a rate yet?

Actually, I'll be shipping to Newport in the event that I graduate in June, should be going Surface (just like everyone else), otherwise (if I don't end up being able to graduate on time) it'll be Great Lakes in August or so I think.

Actually, I'll be shipping to Newport in the event that I graduate in June, should be going Surface (just like everyone else), otherwise (if I don't end up being able to graduate on time) it'll be Great Lakes in August or so I think.

Contrary to what Navy stands for (Never Again Volunteer Yourself), volunteer for everything they ask for. They don't forget who steps up when no one else will. Good luck it. And enjoy it.

My best Freind is a Navy SEAL and has served many places that he wont even tell you . Getting him to talk about anything hes seen and done is next to impossible . Only thing he mentions is he is dual MOS and has had training in just about everything else. So this Tool should stick to Sniping poor defenseless Harbor seals at 10 feet with a Red Rider BB Gun.

So, how many of those huge Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 AI-s lenses did you manage to sell those blowhards?
(Was a special order lens that even today will command a $20,000 price tag if you can find one. Easily the sharpest and least distorted wide angle ever made.)
Crikees! is that the Operators edition![wink] often alluded to but never seen? No, sadly, I was never lucky enough to land that whopper. My Fraudulent Ansel adams were mostly the 600mm f4 kind of guys. If I did, I probably would still be on a store sponsored vaction[smile].

More to the point, The guys we are all talking about here are the sole reason that MALL-Ninja tacticool gadjets are even around. I could always tell the real Pros from the actors because they asked short pertinent questions and had no problem paying reasonable markup for quality gear and advice. Occasionally I bumped into some REAL operators who didn't ask too much and paid with those ultra cool TACTICAL Black - GSA credit cards--Ahh those were the days..

Keri

Back
Top Bottom