Texas AG goes after ‘Cheaper than Dirt’ for price gouging.

You could have always asked if he is a charitable org in business for at least two years, holds a raffle permit, and is going to pay the business diversion tax of 5% (I think) to the MA Lottery Commission.
I think we all know the answer to that question was going to be "get the f*** out of here"
Proper retort: "Thanks for the business card; my next stop is the town clerk's office".

940 CMR: Office of the Attorney General [shocked]
940 CMR 12.00: Regulations governing raffles

So many laws like this get ignored because the violator either does not know about the law or figured nobody cares and he's never heard of anyone being charged.

It can happen on a much larger scale than a shop raffle. I missed a Gamestop/Bitcoin level opportunity.

Several years ago, I noticed a medical practice engaging in balance billing for Medicare patients; something that is prohibited by MDs that participate in Medicare. The MDs at parathyroid.com near Tampa accepted Medicare as payment, but also had a mandatory pre-surgical consultation and evaluation exam at an extra charge of $1750 (cheaper for FL residents). They even warned patients "this is not covered by Medicare and must be privately paid" and "do not attempt to collect from insurance, it will not be paid". I thought about filing a complaint with Medicare but could not find any info regarding balance billing complaints - just fraud. Plus I was a bit too ergophobic.

Fast forward a couple of years and a doctor's (not sure if MD) wife has his parathyroid operation done by this group. He then files suit to get is $1750 back claiming unlawful balance billing. The feds find out about this and yank the suit from him and tell him "we'll take it from here". The MD who runs the parathyroid group agrees to a no admission of guilt settlement of $4M to the feds, and the feds follow up with a nice letter to the guy they stole the case from ... "Here's your $600,000 cut of the action under the whistleblower statute".

I don't know if I had reported it as a non-patient if I would have qualified, but I do wonder.

That doc is back in the game with the same consult calling it an optional second opinion which is not insurance paid (according to him) unless done in person. Naturally, one has to schedule it temporally distant enough to need an extra trip to Tampa, so people "voluntarily" pay to have it done remotely. He even differs the charge for the opinion based on the anticipated difficulty of the surgery, suggesting it is still balance billing under another name.

So, I'm not exactly rushing off to Tampa to have my parathyroids yanked.

Last edited:
Back in college, this hot little kinky chick tried a reverse gooch on me. It was shocking, to say the least.
464967684.jpg

I don't get upset about this crap anymore.
I just ad names to the list of places I don't business with anymore and move on.
This. I wouldnt even know if CTD ships to MA. Their reputation as a**h***s precedes them so much That I just ignore the fact that they even exist.

If other people would do the same eventually they will go tits up. With the caveat that it would take a while because theres a lot of stupid people and newbies in the gun market right now

Back
Top Bottom