• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas AG goes after ‘Cheaper than Dirt’ for price gouging.

Cheaper and Low are subjective terms. Hell, BEST is a subjective term. The only industry you can't use any of these is. . . SEC registered investment advisors. F the TX AG. Oh and the SEC. LOL

Prosecuting for price gouging is asserting that the .gov can dictate what is and is not an acceptable amount to charge for goods. Of course, absolute essentials can be argued is a different story. This is a bad thing. If someone wants to charge a bazillion dollars for a toothpick that's their right, and if anyone decides that a bazillion dollars for a toothpick is acceptable then they can agree to those terms and pay it.

Prosecuting for false and deceptive business practices (canceling an existing order to facilitate relisting the same product at a higher price) is 100% what these AG's offices should be focusing on.

As was expressed in my old Business law classes, you're free to make a bad deal. You're not free to violate a contract.

Prosecuting for price gouging is asserting that the .gov can dictate what is and is not an acceptable amount to charge for goods. Of course, absolute essentials can be argued is a different story. This is a bad thing. If someone wants to charge a bazillion dollars for a toothpick that's their right, and if anyone decides that a bazillion dollars for a toothpick is acceptable then they can agree to those terms and pay it.

Prosecuting for false and deceptive business practices (canceling an existing order to facilitate relisting the same product at a higher price) is 100% what these AG's offices should be focusing on.

As was expressed in my old Business law classes, you're free to make a bad deal. You're not free to violate a contract.

Plastic_%22WIN%22_sign.jpg

Screw the gouging charge. Go after them for false advertising and make them stop claiming they are a low priced supplier.

Isn't that puffery, and therefore legal? Like saying they sell the world's best pizza? Has anyone here ever been to a pizza contest ?

Gouging and pricing should never even be used together. I think the term they meant was "market pricing".

The best example of government restriction on market pricing that I have ever personally witnessed was New Jersey in the weeks after Sandy. I am an electrical contractor and I had 4 NJ electricians at the time.

His Highness Chris Christie would not let people raise the price of gasoline. The entire North half of the state was basically powered by generators. You can guess how much gasoline was available. Let people charge $1 or $2 more per gallon, or whatever the market would bear, and you would have had trucks lining up to deliver to NJ. The people would have paid it with a smile on their faces. One of my guys had to drive 100 miles one way before he finally found gas somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Funny, nobody thinks that "how much you got, show me your bank records, we'll take what we think is a fair percentage of your assets, set a custom price just for you, and coordinate the discount level with other suppliers" is gouging.

Funny, nobody thinks that "how much you got, show me your bank records, we'll take what we think is a fair percentage of your assets, set a custom price just for you, and coordinate the discount level with other suppliers" is gouging.

Higher education?

Taking from a cart...Bust a deal, face the Wheel.

Re price gouging: I buy wood block fuel at Tractor Supply for $3.99/ pack, (and there's an online coupon for 25%)

Hardware store in Northborough has the same thing...for $6.99.

Did I say that I buy them at Tractor Supply? [laugh]

That said (back to the original situation), there is a higher percentage of gun folks in Texas, than in the DPRM, and many people down there will see the "economic benefit" to them as more important than pesky free market considerations, come the next election, IMO.

Where's the case against Texas land owners inflating the price of land lots and houses when selling to Kalifornians fleeing Kalifornia??

CTD isn't selling life sustaining goods like food and water.....the AG doesn't have a case.

I'm gonna start charging $1,000,000 per hour for my time. All I need to do is sell 1 hour per year and I'll be farting through silk!

:)
Find the right person and you can. You just need to be the only guy around with a tourniquet when some rich guy is about to bleed out, and you can seek the intersection of the supply and demand curves. Unless, of course, that would be gouging.
there will see the "economic benefit" to them as more important than pesky free market considerations, come the next election, IMO.
They are under the delusion that the product would be available at the lower price if the vendor did not charge market rate pricing.

So, reading the case notes like MA Texas price gouging law directly has to do with unfair price manipulation during the state of emergency.

They have CTD on record as jacking their prices up when TX went into lockdown. Not only is Texas recognizing guns and ammo as an essential supply, but they seem to have CTD dead to rights jacking up prices outside of their normal inventory balancing.

They have CTD on record as jacking their prices up when TX went into lockdown. Not only is Texas recognizing guns and ammo as an essential supply, but they seem to have CTD dead to rights jacking up prices outside of their normal inventory balancing.
Could CTD effectively argue however that they raised the prices for ALL customers, not just those in TX? Even those who were not locked down?

Could CTD effectively argue however that they raised the prices for ALL customers, not just those in TX? Even those who were not locked down?
It's irrelevant.
Not only did they jack their prices up, but they did so outside their normal inventory balancing and with timing around the state of emergency proclamation.

The Texas AG guidance states "high prices alone do not mean that price gouging has taken place, as businesses are generally allowed to determine the prices for their products. However, if a disaster has been declared by the Governor of Texas or the President, and businesses raise the price of their products to exorbitant or excessive rates to take advantage of the disaster declaration, then it is quite likely that price gouging is taking place"

It's irrelevant.
Not only did they jack their prices up, but they did so outside their normal inventory balancing and with timing around the state of emergency proclamation.

The Texas AG guidance states "high prices alone do not mean that price gouging has taken place, as businesses are generally allowed to determine the prices for their products. However, if a disaster has been declared by the Governor of Texas or the President, and businesses raise the price of their products to exorbitant or excessive rates to take advantage of the disaster declaration, then it is quite likely that price gouging is taking place"

I wasn't aware TX codified literal communism into their state laws.

TX AG wasting tax payer dollars, they must be bored.

Do they really have nothing better to do in TX than file a frivolous lawsuit ?
A lot of people thought the TX AG (Paxton) was wasting tax payer dollars and filing a frivolous lawsuit when he went to SCOTUS challenging the election results. Just saying..... He was a hero a couple of weeks ago.

Texas AG should be focusing on elected officials that are not up holding duties of their office?

Its simple you dont like the prices dont buy.
I gave up on CTD many years ago when i found out dirt aint cheap. No really seldom did they have any better price than anyone e!se.
i tend to find vendors who just deliver me what I want/need with out hassle.
Brownells and midway have been very good at this, along with a few others

Back
Top Bottom