• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target shooting on public land

So ive done alot of research on this topic. Ive found proof of it being legal in many other states, national forests and states parks unless posted. Fish and wildlife has told me that it is in fact illegal to target shoot in ma on public lands. Now when i say f+w i mean a lady on the phone. I challenged her slightly but did not ask for MGL'S or any evidence to her claim. As we all know its only illegal if its stated in law to be illegal. Not because some one says so. Any input from anybody?

So ive done alot of research on this topic. Ive found proof of it being legal in many other states, national forests and states parks unless posted. Fish and wildlife has told me that it is in fact illegal to target shoot in ma on public lands. Now when i say f+w i mean a lady on the phone. I challenged her slightly but did not ask for MGL'S or any evidence to her claim. As we all know its only illegal if its stated in law to be illegal. Not because some one says so. Any input from anybody?

You called Mass DFW so you got the Mass DFW answer

On page # 23 of the 2019 abstracts under WMA regulations:

8. No person shall engage in target practice without written permission from the Director or designee.

As Jack said, it is up to the property owner.

FWIW:
In general the average gun owner is best served by joining a local club where access to the property down range is controlled. If you are shooting on public land you have no control over who may walk or ride into your line of fire.

Bob

OP: The reality in the PRM is that most shooting other than at an "established" range will call down the wrath of something. Angry neighbor, PO'd Po-Po, etc.

If you want to shoot, and not join a club, your best bet is to buy a spread large enough to do so, safely, in a town with not ordinance that prohibits ordnance (see what I did there? [laugh])

If you lack the wherewithal to do that, as said above, join a Club. Then the BoD of said Club can deal with the complaints of the people that moved in last December, and were told that "The Gun Club down the road is going to close down by Memorial Day," by Dewey Cheetham the Real Estate broker.

After you've been a Member of the Club for awhile, you can join the BoD, and be put in charge of dealing with the new, angry neighbor. This way, you get all of the benefits of both.

Then the BoD of said Club can deal with the complaints of the people that moved in last December, and were told that "The Gun Club down the road is going to close down by Memorial Day," by Dewey Cheetham the Real Estate broker.
I feel like there's a story here...

You called Mass DFW so you got the Mass DFW answer

On page # 23 of the 2019 abstracts under WMA regulations:

8. No person shall engage in target practice without written permission from the Director or designee.

As Jack said, it is up to the property owner.

FWIW:
In general the average gun owner is best served by joining a local club where access to the property down range is controlled. If you are shooting on public land you have no control over who may walk or ride into your line of fire.

Bob
Be aware of your target and what’s beyond it.

in Mass joining a club will be a lot cheaper than the lawyer fees, fines and jail time associated with your experiment.

Most cities, towns and municipalities in Mass have restrictions for the discharging of firearms within their city, town or municipality limits.

Thank you for the replys. I belong to 4 ranges/clubs as of now but id like more freedom. Where id go is a gully so it has a natural backstop. I a dor ranger did tell me i needed written permission from land owner. So find out which entity owns said land and ask them. The "us forest service" states that it is legal check local dor. I guess it would be like most gun laws in ma. Nobody knows the answer. Only the ones sitting in those funny chairs in the courtroom.

I feel like there's a story here...

Not really, a "story," but my club as received calls, generally on the First Thursday of May, when Trap re-opens for the night season.

The best one was one year when we were still shooting a few minutes after 9 ( we generally shut down then, but the last squad went long) and they threatened to call the cops. One of the shooters on the last squad was a cop in that town.

Oh, and the caller said that they were told that we were on the way out. "We've been here since 1946," was not the answer they wanted. [rofl]

Our club has been dealing with one of those. Lady says she bought the house in one day sight unseen. Claims she never knew there was a gun club there (C'mon... Google maps anyone?).

She's been bugging the crap out of club officers. Has called the police many times and they tell her it's a gun club and the noise is reasonable and expected. If the club is supposed to close at 7:30, she'll call at 7:31 complaining. And the truth is that's the club rules, not the law.

They made a presentation to the town council hoping to find a sympathetic ear. Always claiming her nephew has emotional problems and can't visit because of the gun noise. Ummm....

She got on the calendar of the new chief of police hoping to push further. I understand the COP told her that we're not breaking any laws. I've also heard that in town police officers are tired of responding to her calls about noise. It's a waste of their time.

And... here's the kicker... club property straddles two towns. We don't shoot in the same town as she lives.

She made a mistake buying the home and now wants to make it everyone else's problem...

The best one was one year when we were still shooting a few minutes after 9 ( we generally shut down then, but the last squad went long) and they threatened to call the cops. One of the shooters on the last squad was a cop in that town.

Oh, and the caller said that they were told that we were on the way out. "We've been here since 1946," was not the answer they wanted. [rofl]

Since it's not a law to stop shooting at 7:30, but a rule....Change the rulebang to make it 9:00.

But, do it in spurts.....bangbangbangbang....play some cards for 20 minutes....bangbangbangbang......you get the idea.

OH, and make sure that the new Late Night Shoot is named after the whiny neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom