• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on LTC's

Hi All,

I am trying to get my LTC - took the course in December, submitted paperwork 1st week of January, fingerprinted ~1/10, approved in late February, but still no LTC.

Is Mass slow-rolling these? I can't figure out why it should take so long (seriously)...

Is this typical?

As has been stated, the slow-rolling is from your town rather than the state. And no, they have zero visibility into security clearance investigation records or current standing. Nor do most actually care, I reckon. Statistically, non-LE LTC holders have cleaner criminal records than LE. Doesn’t matter, you’re a lesser citizen because you’re not LE and MGL specifically differentiates you as having fewer 2A rights. Of course, this violates the 14th Amendment, but here we are.

The annoying thing is that the PD, by law, has 40 days to process your LTC and either give it to you or deny you. However, there are no penalties for them if they break the law by going beyond the time limit. And courts of sided with the towns because they put on their sad puppy dog faces in court and promise that they’ve been trying really hard to complete them on time and will try super duper hard to get them done quicker. All while doing Jack diddly, aside from intentionally slow-rolling them*.

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

* Qualifier: There are a rare few PDs who actually do just have extremely minimal staff and have a hard time keeping up with the applications. The vast majority of PDs who violate MGL Ch 140 Section 131 have plenty of resources and just choose to delay applications.

As has been stated, the slow-rolling is from your town rather than the state. And no, they have zero visibility into security clearance investigation records or current standing. Nor do most actually care, I reckon. Statistically, non-LE LTC holders have cleaner criminal records than LE. Doesn’t matter, you’re a lesser citizen because you’re not LE and MGL specifically differentiates you as having fewer 2A rights. Of course, this violates the 14th Amendment, but here we are.

The annoying thing is that the PD, by law, has 40 days to process your LTC and either give it to you or deny you. However, there are no penalties for them if they break the law by going beyond the time limit. And courts of sided with the towns because they put on their sad puppy dog faces in court and promise that they’ve been trying really hard to complete them on time and will try super duper hard to get them done quicker. All while doing Jack diddly, aside from intentionally slow-rolling them*.

* Qualifier: There are a rare few PDs who actually do just have extremely minimal staff and have a hard time keeping up with the applications. The vast majority of PDs who violate MGL Ch 140 Section 131 have plenty of resources and just choose to delay applications.
Re the footnote - even the small PDs should have their feet held to the fire (though it will likely not happen). How do you think said PD would react to you saying, "I didn't follow [insert lawr here] because I didn't have the time"?

I have a few friends who have waited 4-6 months. I have other friends who waited no more than 45 days. Be patient.
Submitted mine in Worcester Dec19th. Called on the date they told me to, April 8th. It wasn’t back. Officer I spoke with found it sitting in a pile of “lost files”. Called FRB yesterday and is now with the state pending activation. SO it sits for 4 months then gets approved and sent to the state in 5 business days. Incompetence at its best.

I would definitely call immediately - demand the chief and ask if they have classified you as a domestic terrorist yet and why your ltc hasnt "popped out"
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Re the footnote - even the small PDs should have their feet held to the fire (though it will likely not happen). How do you think said PD would react to you saying, "I didn't follow [insert lawr here] because I didn't have the time"?

Other laws actually have punishments for violating them.

The PD dragging ass on an LTC? nobodys going to jayle, although what should really happen is the town is subject to a fine for every 30 day interval past the statutory limit that someone doesnt have a license that they lawfully applied for after the app was submitted.

Other laws actually have punishments for violating them.

The PD dragging ass on an LTC? nobodys going to jayle, although what should really happen is the town is subject to a reparations payment equal to the cost of the license, payable to the applicant who had the license delayed for every 30 day interval past the statutory limit that someone doesnt have a license that they lawfully applied for after the app was submitted.
FIFY.

It's that "restorative justice" that's all the rage, these days. Also, now the $ would not just be shuffled from one .gov dept. to another.....

FIFY.

It's that "restorative justice" that's all the rage, these days. Also, now the $ would not just be shuffled from one .gov dept. to another.....
I should have been more clear the fine/damages would be payable to the victim......

Back
Top Bottom