• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling Antique firearms on gun broker - question

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I know that guns made before 1898 are considered antiques everywhere except MA (if it uses a readily available cartridge it is not an antique) but I have a question about the rest of the country.

I have two S&W's a Baby Russian and a model of 1891 that are antiques and I would like to sell on Gun Broker however my gunsmith/dealer has mentioned that there are cities and towns that don't allow even antique firearms to be sold/sent to someone living there.

Does anyone know how I could find such a list so I could restrict where it was going to be sold, i.e. who could buy it?

I can't help with the list, but maybe this explains why people I have dealt with wanted me to provide a C&R license to ship an antique ... I had the C&R, so it didn't bother me all that much, but it did seem odd. It's hard enough to keep track of what states' rules are ... forget it with cities. Actually, maybe there is a list of states that have non-preemption laws ... those states won't have cities making up their own rules so they would be safe if they are good at the state level.

CC

I can't help with the list, but maybe this explains why people I have dealt with wanted me to provide a C&R license to ship an antique ... I had the C&R, so it didn't bother me all that much, but it did seem odd. It's hard enough to keep track of what states' rules are ... forget it with cities. Actually, maybe there is a list of states that have non-preemption laws ... those states won't have cities making up their own rules so they would be safe if they are good at the state level.

CC

I talked to my dealer and he said he will not sell antiques to CA, IL, NY, NJ at all as their C&R's are useless. He will sell to MA to a C&R

the gun laws are continuing to get nuts

I know that guns made before 1898 are considered antiques everywhere except MA (if it uses a readily available cartridge it is not an antique) but I have a question about the rest of the country.

I have two S&W's a Baby Russian and a model of 1891 that are antiques and I would like to sell on Gun Broker however my gunsmith/dealer has mentioned that there are cities and towns that don't allow even antique firearms to be sold/sent to someone living there.

Does anyone know how I could find such a list so I could restrict where it was going to be sold, i.e. who could buy it?
When I received my first C&R FFL in 1999 I recall BATFE sending me a publication on all the state (and city) laws wrt selling guns. Of course I can't find it now, so I don't know the publication number or if BATFE kept up with all the changes over the years. It might pay to make a call to BATFE to ask what the pub number is, so you can find it on atf.gov.

When I received my first C&R FFL in 1999 I recall BATFE sending me a publication on all the state (and city) laws wrt selling guns. Of course I can't find it now, so I don't know the publication number or if BATFE kept up with all the changes over the years. It might pay to make a call to BATFE to ask what the pub number is, so you can find it on atf.gov.

I will do that, at the same time my dealer said he won't ship to CA, IL, NJ, NY or MA (MA he will take a C&R but not the others) So that would be a good start

@Ben Cartwright SASS
I found the BATFE publication 5300.5 "ATF State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms".

It is no longer "published" as a book, but is online, state by state. My guess is that changes are happening too often to keep it in print. Last revised in November, 2023 according to the website.

Back
Top Bottom