"Suspicious Individual" rings my doorbell

Nah. Those could be bullet holes from a previous robbery attempt. I'd ask him to walk on some water or something, just to be sure.

'Hey, since you don't have ID on you, there's this guy next door who croaked a couple of days ago....his name is Lazarus...see what you can do for him" [laugh2]

I live in a semi-rural setting, about halfway between Worcester and Lowell. I live on a small, private way with lots of woods. I'm still waiting on my Class A, hence no firearms, but here's one of my defensive weapons when my doorbell rings ...

Dog: check.
Visual identification: check.
Weapons:
157px-Sai.svg

Been practicing with 'em forever, they're steel, 20" long, and go through screens/glass, and other softer targets ...

A FEW well placed nra window decals,,,or stickers plus some back issues of GUNS/N AMMO..magazines left where the potential gobblins will see them ,,,might make them to want to knock else-where..i see a sign posted in new-orleans after the hurricain....OWNER INSIDE WITH UGLY DOG ,UGLY WOMEN ,2 SHOTGUNS 2 RIFLES AND 3 HANDGUNS .A CLAW HAMMER AND ONE LARGE KNIFE..KEEP MOVING

A FEW well placed nra window decals,,,or stickers plus some back issues of GUNS/N AMMO..magazines left where the potential gobblins will see them ,,,might make them to want to knock else-where..i see a sign posted in new-orleans after the hurricain....OWNER INSIDE WITH UGLY DOG ,UGLY WOMEN ,2 SHOTGUNS 2 RIFLES AND 3 HANDGUNS .A CLAW HAMMER AND ONE LARGE KNIFE..KEEP MOVING

'Nuff said, moving along. [laugh]

A FEW well placed nra window decals,,,or stickers plus some back issues of GUNS/N AMMO..magazines left where the potential gobblins will see them ,,,might make them to want to knock else-where

I don't post stickers or decals anywhere that someone might see them. I'd rather people not know if I have guns. I've known too many gun shops who have been robbed to think that there is any chance in hell that an NRA sticker is a deterrent. Advertising that you are a gunowner might make you a potential target for robbery whereas otherwise you might have been overlooked.

Better to be anonymous and suprise your adversary with a holy hell of firepower than to have them target you and overestimate you for what it is that they know you have and that they want.

These types of crimes happen everywhere and are perpetrated by all races. The biggest issue in this day and age is that kids have NO respect for life or property.

I just had this discussion with the warden and she agrees not to answer the door if I am not home to answer.

I don't post stickers or decals anywhere that someone might see them. I'd rather people not know if I have guns. I've known too many gun shops who have been robbed to think that there is any chance in hell that an NRA sticker is a deterrent. Advertising that you are a gunowner might make you a potential target for robbery whereas otherwise you might have been overlooked.

Better to be anonymous and suprise your adversary with a holy hell of firepower than to have them target you and overestimate you for what it is that they know you have and that they want.

That's my feeling too.

While I think it's important to promote the cause, I'm also cautious about advertising the fact that I've got the goods.

I think we need to lighten this thread up, so that Becka and KilgoreTrout can get some sleep tonight.

Set the wayback to 1979, wrap up in your Snuggie™, pour a glass of Zinfandel ... and unwind to the dulcet tones of Anita West and ... Ring My Bell.

I think we need to lighten this thread up, so that Becka and KilgoreTrout can get some sleep tonight.

Set the wayback to 1979, wrap up in your Snuggie™, pour a glass of Zinfandel ... and unwind to the dulcet tones of Anita West and ... Ring My Bell.

Great. I can tell that tonight's nightmare will be that I'm tied up in a Snuggie, being forced to sit through an Anita West concert. And when I try to escape, I'll fall over in my chair (seeing as how I've been Snuggiefied), and Anita will be standing over me wearing her white dragon-scale shirt.
I don't know which is worse...being afraid someone is going to kill me and dump me in a shallow grave, or being stuck in a Snuggie with Anita West standing over me, channeling a great white dragon.
[hmmm]

Great. I can tell that tonight's nightmare will be that I'm tied up in a Snuggie, being forced to sit through an Anita West concert. And when I try to escape, I'll fall over in my chair (seeing as how I've been Snuggiefied), and Anita will be standing over me wearing her white dragon-scale shirt.
I don't know which is worse...being afraid someone is going to kill me and dump me in a shallow grave, or being stuck in a Snuggie with Anita West standing over me, channeling a great white dragon.
[hmmm]

there's always New Kids On the Block.

Blitz1 loves them.

but there is NOTHING worse than New Kids On The Block. [rofl]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhSHktuZGw

[hmmm]

Do you need to talk to someone? [wink]

psychiactric.jpg

there's always New Kids On the Block.

Blitz1 loves them.

but there is NOTHING worse than New Kids On The Block. [rofl]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhSHktuZGw

You *obviously* weren't a teen girl in the late 80's and early 90's. Or you wouldn't joke about NKOTB.
Though I'd be a little tweaked out that Jordon, Jon, Danny, Donnie and Joe were in my bedroom, I'd much prefer them to any of the previously mentioned scary things.
And that includes Jehovah Witnesses, gypsies, magazine subscription girls, and Oprah.
Wait, did anybody mention Oprah, or am I the only one who finds her scary?

*swoon*
blog_head.jpg

Okay, I guess the sunglasses and dark suits might scare me. But Jon is the sensitive one, he'll hold me until I'm not scared anymore.

*hubba hubba*
[laugh2][rofl]
I knew that was coming even before I scrolled down.

Never had anyone pull that or anything else like that with me during my ~6 years in Worcester. I did *frequently* listen to gunshots outside my apartment - bad areas and not - and did have someone shot to death outside one of my Congress St. apartment, in a car which was very similar to mine.

I slept through it. The g/f shook me awake as she usually does when something goes bump, but with the way I sleep, I was barely conscious enough to register that she'd woken me up. I probably should work on my response to "honey wake up, did you hear that gunshot," since grumbling "go back to bed" and rolling over might not be a prudent course of action some night. I really wish I didn't sleep so deeply. [thinking]

I need a louder dog. Or a louder girlfriend. ::ducks::

Never had anyone pull that or anything else like that with me during my ~6 years in Worcester. I did *frequently* listen to gunshots outside my apartment - bad areas and not - and did have someone shot to death outside one of my Congress St. apartment, in a car which was very similar to mine.

Congress Street! That's history, man. That was the big-time Hippy hangout in the 60s. If you want to know about Congress Street forty years ago, talk to Menasha at Another Story Used Books in Webster Square ... if he's still open. He's a kooky lib, a Jewish Free-Mason, and a great guy to know.

Had the warden arm the security system after I left for work today. She's reluctant to apply for a LTC, though. Any tips on prodding her to get her license (apart for the Kevlar Snuggie with CCW rig, I mean).

Had the warden arm the security system after I left for work today. She's reluctant to apply for a LTC, though. Any tips on prodding her to get her license (apart for the Kevlar Snuggie with CCW rig, I mean).

Tell her with you out of the house, its up to her to protect the little one and herself. Gently point out the failing logic of 1) being able to ask the attacker to give her a moment to get to the phone, 2) relying on anyone (including you) for her protection, and 3) hoping that her fellow man treats her with any type of fellowship in those situations.

A not so gentle method is to point out that if someone forces their way into the home and the unspeakable occurs, the child placed into the same situation and alone...

That last ones a bit on the edge and could go either way. In the end only you really know her well enough to make a seasoned and reasonable presentation to her. Best of luck!

Your significant other (I prefer that term over "warden" which is one of WTTK's Michael Graham's terms, and may subconsiously define your relationship, is there a subliminal message there? ) obviously has issues with the concept of guns. I'm guessing here, but I can readily imagine that she grew up in a genteel household where firearms weren't part of everyday life. Frankly, my best guess is that she is in a state of denial and trying to appeal to her based on intellect probably isn't going to work. In fact, on the intellectual level she may even agree with you, but on the emotional level denial that anything would really happen may be the overriding factor. I think what it may mean is that she is having a difficult time accepting the fact that there are people out there who mean to do her harm. She simply has not internalized it. This, despite the fact that she lives by a drug dealer, and experienced the incident that you described to us.

One possibility is this: she may not listen to you, but she might listen to another woman. There are any number of classes, discussions and books on the topic of women and firearms and women and self-defense. Perhaps Moderator Lynne could guide you to some of these venues and offer a suggestion from a woman's point of view as she has some experience in this area.

For what it is worth, my wife has absolutely no interest in firearms or shooting them whatsoever, and she grew up with guns and hunting (all of her brothers, her father and her son and grand-son hunt and own guns). She is not anti-gun per se nor anti-2A for the express purpose of owning firearms for self-defense and has been to the range numerous times, but is, I am sorry to say a sheeple who would quiver like a rabbit while she was being raped and beaten to death. Pretty harsh words, I know...but truth as I perceive it. Needless to say, the fact that I cannot depend on her in crisis does color our relationship and forces me to have to think creatively with regard to personal/home defense scenarios. To her credit, she does not open the door for strangers and has been known to hang up on people who call that she doesn't know. It may be in the end, that your wife may be the way she is and that is the sum of it. Everyday, thousands of rabbit-people of both genders are assaulted, raped, robbed and murdered, so if she falls into that category she is far from being alone. Some people fight, some people take flight (if they can) and some people simply quiver and take what is dished out to them. There have been numerous psychological studies made, but in the end, I am not sure if anyone really knows why people react so differently, it may be genetic, it may be enviornmental or perhaps a combination thereof. It isn't necessarily about training either. All soldiers go through basic combat training and yet some still freeze up on the battlefield, more according to S.L.A. Marshall than one might think.

In any event, I wish you nothing but the best for you and your family in the coming year.

My two euros, anyway...

Mark L.

Last edited:
Actually, the Warden's father is who got me into shooting. He's got an extensive collection for when the Zombies attack. Her dad's a Vietnam vet, former crew chief in Hueys. Both of her siblings are LEOs. A trip to the range is part of just about every visit to the inlaw's house.

Oh, and I call her "Warden" because she's anything but controlling. She lets me get away with all kinds of hooey. It's a tongue in cheek thing, and she know's I'm kidding.

I grew up in a libtard household where guns were eeeeevil. Guess I'm now the black sheep.

With that info, I'm wondering if I can get her family to encourage her to get the LTC. That could backfire though.

Perhaps her non-involvement with firearms is a form of parental rebelliion? Even in the most loving households where children and parents are lovingly bonded, there are still faint stirrings of rebellion among the young....just a thought.

Mark L.

Maybe she just doesn't like guns. They're not for everyone nor should they be. If you're not prepared to face the mental, emotional and situational consequences of using a gun in self defense then you shouldn't be pushed into it. I own and carry. It was a decision that didn't come lightly. My wife won't. She doesn't begrudge me and she's said that she's happy that I can defend our family if it comes down to it but she and I both know that she is not a 'gun person'. Do I wish it were otherwise? Of course. Can I force her to change? No.

I've taken both of my daughters shooting. The older just applied for her FID (she's under 21), the younger really isn't interested. We'll see when she turns 18.

Last edited:
Maybe she just doesn't like guns. They're not for everyone nor should they be.

I'm not really in a position to say this but I'm going to go ahead anyway and say that liking guns or not has nothing to do with it. You have a responsibility to protect your child who cannot protect themselves. Is that a bit harsh? Sure. But so is the reality of failing to do so if it ever comes to that point.

And if guns is something that she doesn't like she's going to have to convince me that she has an equal or better solution if she is my wife. And I'm not talking about carrying, but home defense with my child in the house when I am not there.

I'm not really in a position to say this but I'm going to go ahead anyway and say that liking guns or not has nothing to do with it. You have a responsibility to protect your child who cannot protect themselves. Is that a bit harsh? Sure. But so is the reality of failing to do so if it ever comes to that point.

And if guns is something that she doesn't like she's going to have to convince me that she has an equal or better solution if she is my wife. And I'm not talking about carrying, but home defense with my child in the house when I am not there.

Why don't you believe you're in a position to say this?

Why don't you believe you're in a position to say this?

I didn't mean any disrespect, that is all. And I don't have a wife and kids either so for me to say that I'm in a situation where it's a lot easier to sit around and tell everyone else what I think is the right thing to do but really I'm a monday morning quaterback with an opinion.

I didn't mean any disrespect, that is all. And I don't have a wife and kids either so for me to say that I'm in a situation where it's a lot easier to sit around and tell everyone else what I think is the right thing to do but really I'm a monday morning quaterback with an opinion.

Cool. None taken. I expected to get disagreement from that post so no worries at all. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom