"Suspicious Individual" rings my doorbell

ahhh Now I know why the jehovahs witness's dont knock on my door any more... All makes sense now

Twenty years ago, some Jehovas witnesses came to my grandfather's house when he was having a big family picnic. No one answered the door, so they came around back to where everyone was. He flipped out and started yelling at them and waving his grill flipper. He was an E-6 in the 82nd back in the day, so he had the voice for it. They still haven't been back. [rofl]

Even out here in the sticks, I have been rattled a few times in the last few months. I was talking to a fellow NES-er about this stuff at DSG tonight - I feel as if troubles in the larger city neighborhoods are moving out here....I'm C1 24/7....Sad really...[thinking]

On the rare occasion that someone knocks on my door unexpectedly (usually I know if someone or a package or something is coming), an AR is held behind the door, out of view

Twenty years ago, some Jehovas witnesses came to my grandfather's house when he was having a big family picnic. No one answered the door, so they came around back to where everyone was. He flipped out and started yelling at them and waving his grill flipper. He was an E-6 in the 82nd back in the day, so he had the voice for it. They still haven't been back. [rofl]

Grin, had 35 acres in VT that adjoined lumber company property. Used it for rec., shooting and hunting. Total available was well over 200 acres.

Local "commune" folks didn't understand "Private Property...Keep Out". The land was theirs. A summer day when a bunch of them went picking berries, I took a .45 Win Mag and took some practice in a dirt bank West of where they were. Fired about 150 rounds. The "commune" leader came down later and told me how scared they were. Told him they were lucky they were not killed. No further interference.[wink]

I lived in Lynn for 17 years, as soon as I could move, I grabbed my crap and ran. not only do I benefit from the reduced insurance premiums, I haven't had anyone try to take my money/jack my car/stab me/start a fight with me/point a weapon at me sence i've moved... well with the exception of one or two times while traversing Boston in the later hours.

+1 on getting the hell out, it's just not worth the stress. if you don't feel (reasonably) safe/comfortable in your home, then you shouldn't be living there.

I lived in Lynn for 17 years, as soon as I could move, I grabbed my crap and ran. not only do I benefit from the reduced insurance premiums, I haven't had anyone try to take my money/jack my car/stab me/start a fight with me/point a weapon at me sence i've moved... well with the exception of one or two times while traversing Boston in the later hours.

+1 on getting the hell out, it's just not worth the stress. if you don't feel (reasonably) safe/comfortable in your home, then you shouldn't be living there.

[rofl] were you at Christina's those times too?

My insurance went from $2200 to $600 year when I moved.

good for you. Glad it worked out for you. Scary times for sure when this happens at your house. Good to know people like us try to be ready for situations like this too.

15 or 16 years old eh? Looks like that kid is getting some good parenting. I would love to see a kid like that (assuming he was up to no good) pick the wrong house and have radical SOB haul his ass inside by his hoodie and lock the door and teach him a lesson by beating the living piss out of him. Keep him hostage for about 2 days and then kick his ass out in the street.

think it would teach him a lesson? probably not :)

again...... assuming his intent was jacking someone.

this younger generation needs a wake up call. Too bad our society does not allow us to give it to them.

Last edited:
I just want to say +1 on the dog, the first thing anyone sees when I open the door is my dog. Also comes in handy when the hippies from Amherst come by with some feel good petition asking for signatures...

When I lived in L.A., a cop once commented that he never answers his door, regardless of the time of day unless he's armed, and he absolutely never opens it for anybody he doesn't know. Anybody else can talk to him through the door. My response was along the lines of "are you suggesting there might be some other way to behave?"

Ken

This is how I answer the door. And I live in a great neighborhood....it's not the locals I'm concerned about.

"The Jose Uniform"....that's one for Wikepedia! [rofl]

Next tinme answer the door wearing nothing but combat boots, a Pancho Villa bandoleer, and a shotgun.

Guarantee you will be left alone.

I stopped the Jehovah's Witnesses from coming to my house by answering the door naked. They've never been back.

It also worked on two nice Morman boys who visited me once a month for almost two years before I learned to answer the door in my underwear.

confrontation

I repaired a gun for a fellow and he was concerned to have it back quick.he goes out at home in evening and fires a couple shots.keeps the bad n**gers away he said.(he is black himself.)
You people vote in Kennedy who changed the emigration laws.and bused them up to new england.
Me I dont worry with 90 acres and a rifle range in back of gararge,and an M1 to open eyes.no one wants a part of me.
COME ON DOWN.THE TAXES ARE LOW AND SO ARE THE WAGES.
4 deer in freezer and no checking station,and unlimited bucks from 9/1 to 1/1.
no FID.shall issue for CCW.but you only need it if your carrying concealed.
[rofl] [laugh]

Hmm...where to start.

1. Depicts...my eyes are burning from that image. Jryan, you're not helping matters. I've met both of you gentlemen and I hope never to see either of you in your respective door answering outfits. Make no mistake, I think the world of both you fellows I just don't want to see "all of you."

2. When I moved from Allston rock city about 10 years ago to W. Mass my car insurance went from $1900/year to $800/year. I'm told it would have gone lower but I chose Amherst over, say, G'field where I live now.

3. Amherst, hippies...yup. They're all over the Valley. Oughta be a season, say, October 1-May 1. That would help keep the population in check. I hear they breed in the summer so you don't want to interrupt the cycle or you'll kill of the population. They what would we plink at?

bad boys

I have a cousin who lives in revere,on the point?does not believe in guns good luck to her.
call Mass dept health and ask for injury survellance report.very interesting and you can see where to live,with lowest crime.
617-988-3118 ask for Beth Hume
I have the 2004-06 report I have to call and get another.
just thought I think they have it on the web.
[rofl] [laugh]

1. I have a house alarm that is always on even when i am home.
2. I seriously never open the door if anyone rings the door bell, because anyone who knows me never uses the front door, so if the front door bell rings, its most likely someone i could care less about.
At this point, if the try to get in, the will one have to get threw the alarms system and then once in the house, they will have to deal w the dog and an armed Marine.

but on a more serious note, last summer they got me while i was weak. They got me at my girls house. She had an apartment in Salem Ma in wich i was staying quite often, had a lot of my belongings, pc, jewelry, ipods ect there and they cleaned us out in broad daylight. Took just about anything and everything of value. They found the only window that was unlocked. And the only reason this window was unlocked was because from the outside, this window was at a level much to high to be reached from the ground. Boy i thought wrong. They took bunch of chairs out of a neighbors trash and stacked them high enough to get up and force the window open.
She has since moved to a much better upscale town.

[iwojima]

Glad to hear your carrying at home. Do not open the door without verifying who it is through a window and always be armed.

+100

Do NOT open the door unless you have verified through the window or peephole who is on the other side and it is someone you trust. You can talk to them through the door. Keep the door closed and the lock deadbolted.

When someone comes to the door, I grab my 1911, keep the door closed and deadbolted, and talk to them through the door. Unless I see a FedEx or UPS truck in the driveway and a driver in uniform, the door stays closed and locked.

Last edited:
I've had some success with a 16 pound hammer over my shoulder when I answer the door. Of course, there is usually a pistol in my pocket too.

The only ones it didn't work on were a couple of religious pamphlet pushers who had walked past my front door, into my yard, and knocked on the back door. After telling them I wasn't interested and them being insistant, I pointed over their shoulders to the two 100 plus pound dogs in the yard and said I'd have the dogs eat them if they didn't leave my property immediately.

Last edited:
This thread ended up scaring the crap out of me after I went to sleep.
My husband works the overnight shift once a week. Last night was it. I was fine going to sleep, I re-read my NRA home firearm safety book...went to sleep.
At 4am I hear what sounds like "tap tap tap tap...tap tap tap...tap tap..." on my bedroom window. I wake up and stare at the window and I'm convinced there are kids outside who've already dug a grave and now they want to put me in it!
(my bedroom window is accesible by a flat roof which is accesible by back stairs so it is plausible that someone was standing outside my window)
After calling my husband and explaining where the fear was coming from, it took me over an hour to fall asleep.
Thanks, guys.
And now you know why I don't watch horror movies...[shocked]

The only ones it didn't work on were a couple of religious pamphlet pushers who had walked past my front door, into my yard, and knocked on the back door. After telling them I wasn't interested and them being insistant

Funny you should mention that. Two of them came to my door today. Fortunately they weren't too pushy. I told them I wasn't interested and asked that they don't come back again. They left right away without issue.

I live in the sticks, and knew as soon as they pulled in the driveway. My driveway is a good 150' or so long. I can see every sq inch from my family room. Combined with the fact anyone heading for my front door has to pass windows on the way up. I can pretty much see everywhere from my family room.

This thread ended up scaring the crap out of me after I went to sleep.
My husband works the overnight shift once a week. Last night was it. I was fine going to sleep, I re-read my NRA home firearm safety book...went to sleep.
At 4am I hear what sounds like "tap tap tap tap...tap tap tap...tap tap..." on my bedroom window. I wake up and stare at the window and I'm convinced there are kids outside who've already dug a grave and now they want to put me in it!
(my bedroom window is accesible by a flat roof which is accesible by back stairs so it is plausible that someone was standing outside my window)
After calling my husband and explaining where the fear was coming from, it took me over an hour to fall asleep.
Thanks, guys.
And now you know why I don't watch horror movies...[shocked]

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

ZOMBIES ARE AMONG US.

in all seriousness... a good baseball bat, metal pipe, ax, machette or Rambo knife should be scattered in strategic places in your house and car.

[wink] guns jam and they run out of ammo too.

Some great advice here on this thread. I never open the door late at night, I'll answer them through it like Eddie Murphy in Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood. Another thing is we always keep the storm door locked. That extra few seconds means a lot.

We've had some shady characters approach our door during the daytime.

I'm always armed as well. The problem I have is that I can not see who is at the door from the window. I have to work on that.

To KT, the first sentence on your post is the best way to go although I suppose it's not possible at this time or you would have done it.

May main concern now would be that they may have you pegged and are casing the place.

Good luck to you.

funny thing is my doorbell just rang 5 minutes ago and I right off the bat thought of this thread and peeked out the side window to see who it was. It was my Aunt looking for her Casserole dish from Christmas dinner. [smile]

.45 was right at hand though...............[wink]

funny thing is my doorbell just rang 5 minutes ago and I right off the bat thought of this thread and peeked out the side window to see who it was. It was my Aunt looking for her Casserole dish from Christmas dinner. [smile]

.45 was right at hand though...............[wink]

Could be she was looking for her casserole dish. Could be she was looking for ... something else. I'd remain on high alert for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom